Very good DC at very affordable price

Review by Jesse posted 02-28-2014 05:22 AM 2740 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very good DC at very affordable price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been running this dust collector for several months now and have had no issues. The suction is really good, I can have several ports open at one time with no problems. At under $700 it is the same price as the Powermatic 1.75HP machine but with more power and more capacity, I know because I own both machines. The Grizzly is 3HP and has a 7 inch inlet. I don’t like the 7 inch because it is tough to find all the piping for that size but after searching the home improvement stores I was able to use metal HVAC parts to make it affordable to run across my large shop. To get real suction from your machine you need to run 7 inch pipe for your main run and then go down to 4 inch ports as close to the machine as possible.

I use this machine for a downdraft table, miter saw station, router table, drill press, and a couple stationary belt sanders. I can’t speak to longevity because I have only had it running for a few months but so far so good. I know a lot of people try to spend the least amount of money as possible on dust collection but getting real results has been such a blessing in my shop. I always felt I was wasting money on half ass dust collection methods and once I ran a real system like this with full size pipe it really does make my job and my breathing easier! Let me know if you have questions.

View Jesse's profile

Jesse

#1 posted 02-28-2014 11:23 AM

Do you use it as it is or do you use a cyclone or Thien separator in addition?

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#2 posted 02-28-2014 05:33 PM

I have the 2 HP single filter/bag version of this DC and find that it also moves a LOT of air.

Bags are easy enough to change and I put a Thein plate in just under the inlet, which helps to keep the debris in the bottom and the pleated filter above clean.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View keninblaine's profile

keninblaine

#3 posted 03-18-2014 08:57 PM

These units have a 1 micron canister filter. Does this mean that there is no need for having a separate dust filter unit for the shop, since the overhead dust filters typically remove the 1-5 micron fine dust from the air? I’m considering the Grizzly G1029Z2P which filters 2.5 microns, or the smaller capacity G0583Z with 1 micron canister filter.

-- Ken, Blaine Washington

View Jesse's profile

Jesse

#4 posted 03-21-2014 11:42 PM

Ken, from what I have read they say it is most effective to catch the dust at the machine as opposed to in the air. That being said, the dust collection ports on my sanders for example catch a good amount of the dust but not 100% so I use both a good DC unit and ceiling mounted air filtration units. (also Grizzly brand, only $199 each)

View keninblaine's profile

keninblaine

#5 posted 03-21-2014 11:56 PM

Jesse: Thanks. It sounds like the main use for an overhead dust filter unit is for fine sanding etc. if one has a good DC unit for the main power tools like TS and router table, etc. I’ve been looking at the bigger Grizzly unit since my garage is about 4850 cu ft, and the smaller $189 unit would only change the air 5 times/hour. But then again, if most of the fine dust is being removed by the DC, then perhaps the smaller unit would suffice.

-- Ken, Blaine Washington