Inexpensive great task light

Review by EBpenguy posted 146 days ago 2309 views 9 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Inexpensive great task light Inexpensive great task light Inexpensive great task light Click the pictures to enlarge them

I went to the recent Woodworking Show in Somerset, NJ and saw a really nice, goose necked LED task light at one of the booths. It was pretty slick, but almost $70 to buy. I had already overspent my budget and was not happy to pass on this! I told one of my woodturning buddies about it and he suggested I look instead at a similar light he had used from IKEA for $9.99. And I am glad I listened to him.

IKEA sells this as the Jansjo desk lamp number 201.696.58 in black. It also comes in white. You can use it right out of the box if you want, but the base it comes with is just a cast sand weight. With a slight amount of modifications and a purchase of a round base magnet, it becomes a really good task light for anything in the shop. The light runs on 120v, comes with its own small transformer and a reasonably long cord from the lamp to the transformer. It uses 8 watts to put out a pretty bright focused light from its LED bulb.

The light comes all apart in the box. It has two screw studs to attach it to the original base. I cut out a wooden spacer block about 2” in diameter from a piece of 1x board and drilled two holes to match the studs from the light into it. To make sure it would sit flat on the base I countersunk the screws into the wooden spacer. I also bought a 3” diameter base magnet at Harbor Freight – part number 96650 – for $3.99 to modify as the new lamp base. You can also find these in lots of other stores like Staples or Home Depot. I tossed the provided weighted non magnetic base and instead attached the lamp to my wooden spacer with the provided bolts from the lamp.

I then screwed the new magnetic base to the wooden spacer with a few small wood screws. I drilled an extra hole in the magnetic base for a second screw just to make it a bit stronger a grip between the magnet and my wooden spacer. Simply screw everything together, stick on the included foam scratch pad if you want and plug in the light to enjoy a bright task light that works great!

Total price was $14. A significant savings over the $70 light to say the least. I got one for my lathe, one for the bandsaw and one for my grinder and still spent less than half of the one that caught my eye.

Hope this works for you!

-- Kevin - making shavings when ever I can!

View EBpenguy's profile

EBpenguy

View eddie's profile

eddie

thanks for the review was just looking at some light and was to high will be looking at thin thanks for shearing
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/ under work lamps

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Planeman40's profile

Planeman40

Yep, these lamps are GREAT for machine lights and close work!

I’ve bought 12 of them so far, beginning about a year ago, and have placed them on two of my three bandsaws, my two drill presses, my metal lathe and my small milling machine. I also have one wherever I need to do close work including my model bench. I even have one mounted on my bed headboard that I use as a reading lamp. These lamps have a very small head that doesn’t obscure your view of your work, have a lens in the head to make a focused beam of light, and a long positionable neck. The light is a nice bright white that is comfortable to the eye too. At $10.00 each you can’t go wrong! And, by the way, those strong magnets for adapting them are cheap – two 65# pull magnets in a package for $4.00 from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-magnetic-decor-hooks-65528.html). Just drill out the rivet in the center holding the hook.

Planeman

-- Always remember: It is a mathematical certainty that half the people in this country are below average in intelligence!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

nice solution…

$15 shipping from Ikea kills it for me.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Planeman40's profile

Planeman40

If you have ever gone to Ikea and walked the 20 miles to make a purchase, you would gladly pay the $15!

View Thewoodman2000's profile

Thewoodman2000

Saw this same light about a month ago and my wife picked it up for me a few weeks ago. I too used a magnet from HF but I put it under the supplies base to help with removing it from the machine it is attached to.
I agree with the others this is a great cheep light!!!!

-- (the only thing in there she says is...... saw dust) - James

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

nice deal – I was at “ikrappa” the other day and got a desk lamp that works for my lathe for $9 – sometimes you just need a piece of Chinese crap :-) I wish I would have seen those light – I might have to go back and get a few of them.

BTW, I hate that store but like I said, sometimes you just need a piece of Chinese crap…

View Jasonjenkins's profile

Jasonjenkins

Ikea is a Swedish company… Not Chinese. I have never purchased something there I didn’t feel was worth what I paid. Some things are pretty cheap, but they are also inexpensive. Have purchased things like sofa, chairs, even the bed I sleep on every night was about 30% less than the comps and had a longer warranty… I even got the inexpensive Billy bookcases, and built them in on a wall by facing with trim and crown molding. Sure, for this application I could have purchased sheets of melamine and done the work myself, but it would have added many hours and again, at least 30% to the cost! Not everything there is something I would take home, but I personally love Ikea for many things! This lamp is a perfect example. I have one in a previous version that has a screw base to mount to a wall, and the desk version and I love them. Perfect in the shop. The only thing I hate about the place is the food…

-- Growing a full beard is proven to instantly improve your handtool skills...