Amazing way to get rid of rust

Review by EBpenguy posted 155 days ago 1889 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Amazing way to get rid of rust Amazing way to get rid of rust Amazing way to get rid of rust Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have become the proud owner of a new Rockwell Bandsaw that used to be owned by my father-in law. He passed a few years back and the family refused to touch his workshop for a number of years. But time has come to take on the task, however, the years have not been kind to all that idle metal. Moisture and a slow water leak all combined to raise big trouble with the bandsaw table, as well as some of the other parts of the saw. I wanted to do everything I could to get it back to the same condition it was in when it was the core of the shop, producing an amazing amount of great work as a memory of my father-in law.

The pictures show what I was facing on the table – lots of bad rust covering the entire surface. The workshop has been untouched for 3 years, so the rust was really pretty heavy and not just surface rust. I have used both electrolyte and chemical agents to attack rust on some Stanley planes I restored, but the size of the table gave me pause. I had read that Evapo-Rust was pretty good, so I went to the local Harbor Freight and bought a bottle.

I covered the table in the solution in my kitchen sink. It was spread using a bristle brush to make sure all was covered. Honestly, it didn’t look like it was doing anything, No odor, no bubbles, nothing. I was a little disappointed. I refreshed the solution every 15 minutes for an hour and still nothing. But the bottle says for bad rust, cover it totally and let soak overnight. So that is what I did.

In the morning, I went down to look and nothing looked too different, but I scrubbed the top with a bronze brush for a few minutes and the solution really turned to an ugly looking mess quickly. After scrubbing for only a few minutes, I rinsed the top with warm water and amazingly the picture you see is what was staring back at me! 98% of the rust was gone! the top was shiny! and the slight remaining deep rust lines were black and looked converted and neutralized.

I think with a little more scuff sanding of the top, it will be perfect. A good coat of wax hopefully will prevent this from happening again. I am really pretty amazed.

This stuff is great! Now off to work on restoring the rest of the bandsaw…....

View Steve Cherry's profile

Steve Cherry

Evapo-rust is amazing stuff. A friend at work said he inherited a bunch of lathe tools which were all rusty. He bought a new set at Harbor Freight. He have me the old, rusty lathe tools which I soaked overnight in Evapo-rust and lo and behold, they came out absolutely clean of rust; a little pitted from where the rust had been, but no rust. good stuff. Another fellow I know said soaking rusty metal in draino also works, but haven’t tried that. Good work on the band saw. Band saws are great tools; very versatile.

-- Steve - Seaford, DE

View kaetamer135's profile

kaetamer135

SWMBO let you use the kitchen sink?

EBpenguy

Lol! Yeppers kaetamer135…...got me a good one! She puts up with a lot. It helped though that it was her dads saw that I am trying to restore.

View mikeevens45's profile

mikeevens45

what kind of wax do you use with bare cast iron that wont turn color due to the petroleum in it…pure bees wax?? I am cleaning up some hand planes and also my Rockwell tablesaw…any brands?

-- as technology progresses, wood workers seem to regress...all my power tools and my favorite is a chisel and a hand plane

EBpenguy

Hi Mike – for my planes, I have a stick of pure beeswax that I rub the sole with every time I use them, with added coats as the work progresses. Got that from a Rob Cosman class. It works great. I use Boeshield T-9 or Dri-cote for most other metal surfaces. These spray on lubricant / protectants keep things shiny and slick. When I do use wax, I use plain old Butchers paste wax, but I let it dry for about 5 hours before I buff it out. It gets hard to work, but lasts better by waiting.

Kevin

View mikeevens45's profile

mikeevens45

Thanks EB I will try them

mike

View darthford's profile

darthford

lol another Evapo-Rust fan is born! When you also consider the stuff is so biodegradable and non-toxic you can just pour it down the drain when finished its even more amazing. It has no solvents, no petroleum’s, no acids, is safe for plastic, paint, other metals like brass and aluminum. It eats rust that’s all it does.

Before…

After (just soaked overnight)

View hotncold's profile (online now)

hotncold

Darthford – that’s freaking amazing@ I’ve got to try this stuff!

-- Dennie - Tennessee - Every Pro was once an Amateur. Every Expert was once a Beginner. So dream Big and start Now!

View jrecord's profile

jrecord

21 posts in 2000 days

I have been using this for over a year. It is like magic.

-- Jim in Arvada,Colorado