Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge works right outa the box

Review by eddie posted 02-25-2014 11:11 PM 2235 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge works right outa the box Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge works right outa the box Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge works right outa the box Click the pictures to enlarge them

i always have trouble with 45 and have been wanting a good miter gauge and a friend was over the other day and told me he had this one and had had good results with it ,so i order one and it cut true 90s and really good 45s right out of the box its straight forward and easy to use gauge ,got to give it 5 stars ,thanks for looking

View lightcs1776's profile

lightcs1776

#1 posted 02-25-2014 11:36 PM

Nice to know. I’ll add it to the list of future considerations.

-- Chris ** If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. — Tom Paine **

View BuckI's profile

BuckI

#2 posted 02-25-2014 11:37 PM

I thought about one of those but just couldn’t get my hands on one when I was looking, besides Norm seemed to like his. I bought an Incra, and I am happy with it, but still would have liked to see a display at the Woodcraft where I could have looked it over before I decided.

-- Kevin, Ohio

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#3 posted 02-25-2014 11:43 PM

At one time, I had the EB-3, an Incra V27 w/fence, and a Woodhaven Deluxe….all are really good miter gauges, but I found myself using the EB-3 the most. I’ve since sold the Woodhaven, but hang on to the Incra for bandsaw, router table, right side crosscuts, and other uses. Nice choice….You’re likely to find that it’s one of the more significant contributors to good accuracy.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#4 posted 02-26-2014 12:58 AM

I have had my Osborne EB-3 miter gauge for almost five years. It has seen plenty of use and is still as accurate as ever. I think that you will be very happy with your purchase.

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View patron's profile

patron

13169 posts in 2087 days

#5 posted 02-26-2014 01:26 AM

yup got one too
a real champ
would like to get another some day
set to the other side of the blade
(although it sets up to either side easily)

got my buddy too

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#6 posted 02-26-2014 01:27 AM

I have wanted one of those for a long time! Have never heard anyone bad mouth one. Your shop is going to be the envy of everyone here if you keep getting cool stuff!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

1929 posts in 544 days

#7 posted 02-26-2014 01:48 AM

This may sound like an odd question, but for those of you with this Osborne miter gauge, do you use this 100% of the time you use a miter gauge or do you ever use the stock one? If so, why?

#8 posted 02-26-2014 01:49 AM

thanks Andy it is really a accurate tool and well made

David if you have one and are considering another i know ive made a great choice

thanks ChuckV after 5 years you still like it i know it was a good choice

knotscott thanks the frind that sold me on it has the incra and said he has used it one time to aide in setting up his Incra and know they are good so it was the thing that confensed me go with it

BuckI i got it from wood craft but ordered it on line and looked at a old catalog and didnt see it either

Chris its well worth the money ,and user friendly

#9 posted 02-26-2014 01:54 AM

CharlesA i use some others that i had ,picked up here and there but they dont have the accuracy this dose for repeat cuts plus i like the stop block on this too , im fairly new so i may not be the one to say for sure

View patron's profile

patron

13169 posts in 2087 days

#10 posted 02-26-2014 02:25 AM

charles
i use others too
and have a sled
whatever works for the size and need
of the project wood i’m making

here is a platform i saw here on LJ’s to hold the osborne
for wider cuts (sorry forgot who posted it)
by itself i can cut 13” on my delta unisaw

it will cut more but bringing it back further
it falls off the table and twists some
(have to hold it up to use right
so it doesn’t ‘catch’ on the table in the slide forwards)

so i made this (shimmed here and there to bring it right
it is upside down in the first pic)

and in use it keeps thing nice
and i can cut to 23”

View Roger's profile

#11 posted 02-26-2014 01:19 PM

Good to know. Thnx for your lil review

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View brtech's profile

brtech

#12 posted 02-26-2014 04:44 PM

Occasionally, I’ll reach for my stock miter gauge. The reason is that the EB-3 is big, and mine is hung to the right of my Sawstop PCS, two steps away. I keep the stock one in the accessories holder that’s mounted right on the PCS base. If I don’t care that much about accuracy, and the crosscut is relatively small, I’ll sometimes just reach down and grab the SS one. But I use the EB-3 for anything I really need to be cut accurately. I don’t think I’ve ever set the stock miter gauge to anything other than 90 – I always use the EB-3 for angled cuts. And if I’m cutting real small stuff, the abrasive front surface is really good at holding parts steady.

View bladeburner's profile

bladeburner

#13 posted 02-26-2014 05:14 PM

When I use mine it is often accompanied by this in-feed table. Also, I trimmed the sandpaper strip to allow a square to contact the metal and act as a dust relief. I keep that strip of MDF handy to aid in setting angles with a digital angle gauge or adjustable right triangle. Just more FYI.

#14 posted 02-26-2014 11:42 PM

I have one for several years, I love it.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

1929 posts in 544 days

#15 posted 03-13-2014 02:48 AM

Just picked up one of these—haven’t used it yet. Have any of you thought of a really cool way to store your miter gauge?