Rockler Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig

Review by Brad_Nailor posted 06-27-2008 05:46 AM 3039 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know allot of you have made your own version of a thin strip ripping jig. I fiddled with making one and was in too much of a hurry to get my project going. I looked at this one online and liked the design and it was only $19.99 with free shipping. As usual Rockler shipped it out right away, and it was on my doorstep 4 days after I ordered it. They also accept Paypal now which is really convenient.
It comes with simple instructions on the back of the box. The whole device is made out of phenolic and feels really sturdy and well made with an easy to read scale ( thats not graduated) with 1/8 and 1/16 marks. The knob is a decent size and allows good grip to crank it down nice and tight.
Photobucket
There is a ball bearing at the contact point to help the wood glide through. The directions tell you to touch the bearing to a sawtooth and then use the scale to size your rip. Then slide the unit down carefully so its below the throat plate and lock the knob down.
Photobucket

Once I got it tweaked in, the jig performed well. I was churning out strips quickly, and checking with my dial calipers they were consistent in thickness end to end with less then 1/128” variance if any. A couple things about the jig:
It leaves a slight burr on the upper inside corner of the keeper piece due to it falling away before it gets fully cut. This was no big deal, my pieces are over sized so I just trimmed that end. You could chisel the piece off as well.
You have to position it below the throat plate. Any higher it seemed to push the piece against the blade and was causing some burn marks. Ones I moved it it was fine.
Overall I like this jig. It makes it easy to rip thin and thick pieces safely and accurately, and doesn’t cost allot of money.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 06-27-2008 01:53 PM

I got the same thing when they first came out. Works like a charm.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 06-27-2008 05:32 PM

thanks for the review! looks like a cool little jig!

View Richard Williams's profile

Richard Williams

#3 posted 06-27-2008 05:33 PM

Wish I knew what I was doing. I only make school science projects. I leave the real expertise, professionalism and artistry up to you guys that know what they are doing. Don’t see too good anymore so it is a good reason to let those things go. Great stuff and a least now I know what that is. Bye.

-- Rich, Nevada,

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#4 posted 06-27-2008 10:53 PM

Looks great, thanks for the review.

#5 posted 06-28-2008 12:10 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been looking at one of these as well.

View lew's profile

lew

#6 posted 06-28-2008 12:17 AM

This is the story of my life!!

Woodcraft Magazine paid me $100 a couple of years ago for this same device idea. Now Rockler makes a fortune.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Hawkins's profile

Hawkins

#7 posted 06-28-2008 12:42 AM

Just got an e-mail from Rockler…it’s on sale there…I have no affiliation with Rockler, outside of buying more than I should there…when they call you by name when you walk in, is that bad?

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#8 posted 06-28-2008 02:07 AM

Wow..thats 5 bucks cheaper than I paid…but I got free shipping! :)

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Grumpy's profile (online now)

Grumpy

19458 posts in 2505 days

#9 posted 06-28-2008 10:23 AM

Nifty looking jig Brad

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#10 posted 06-28-2008 03:55 PM

I got one these and it works very well.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View abie's profile

abie

#11 posted 06-28-2008 05:51 PM

I made one with the other end of a feather board, and a bearing dadoed into the end.
a two fur.
idea was great but I will return mine.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#12 posted 06-29-2008 01:56 AM

Looks like a cool jig at a good price.

-- Steve-o

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#13 posted 06-30-2008 05:02 PM

Picked one up this weekend, partially because of this review. Thanks!

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

#14 posted 06-30-2008 08:19 PM

That looks like a handy little jig.

Thanks for sharing.

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison

View bayouman's profile

bayouman

#15 posted 07-02-2008 04:38 AM

I have one and was having trouble getting it dialed in. Your review has helped. Thanks.