UPDATED: Returning the saw.

Review by JSB posted 02-24-2014 02:25 PM 6995 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
UPDATED: Returning the saw. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have no complaints with this saw. It’s a great buy for the money. I’ve only used it for one project so far so if things change I’ll update this. I doubt they will though.

Pros:
-Enough power for what what just about anyone will do.
-Fence alignment is easy.
-Blade alignment is easy, I think they worked out all the problems there. blade to miter slot is easy…still has other problems noted below
-Mobile base is smooth.
-4” dust collection port.

Cons:
-none so far, will update if something happens. read update below

For those who are interested I already wrote a long picture filled article about the saw that you can read here.

UPDATE

Well folks, things took a big turn with the new table saw. I checked and checked and checked to make sure I didn’t have the trunnion issues associated with this saw. Apparently either I didn’t check good enough or something happened after a couple days because I noticed it big time today. When raising the blade the blade will tilt to the right by a few degrees and when lowering it will tilt to the left by a few degrees.

This saw has a boat load of awesome reviews on various sources online and nearly all of the few negative reviews point to this issue. So that tells me I got a lemon.

I contacted Ridgid and they know the exact problem and say it is a bad trunnion that needs to be replaced. My options are to drop the saw off at an Orange store for them to ship it off to be replaced, return it for another one and risk the hour drive each way to see if it has the same problem, or drive to an authorized repair location. Either way I have to make multiple hour long trips to get the problem situated and could possibly be out of a saw for who knows how long while it gets repaired. No thanks. I’m returning the saw this weekend and will be spending more time this go around looking for a replacement.

If they fix this issue permanently I’d give it 5 stars. Pretty good saw if you get a good one. I didn’t and I don’t want to waste my time making it a good one.

-- Jay - http://www.jayscustomcreations.com or http://www.woodworkingwithsketchup.com

View JSB's profile

JSB

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#1 posted 02-24-2014 03:16 PM

Always good to know what can be trusted

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#2 posted 02-24-2014 05:53 PM

Thanks for the review. Love your videos and I look forward to hearing about any alignment/elevation issues you might experience.

-- paxorion

View EdgewaterWW's profile

EdgewaterWW

#3 posted 02-24-2014 07:45 PM

wondering about the Dust Collection is it good? does it need add-ons?

Thanks for the review

-- Doug - Edgewater, CO - http://www.facebook.com/EdgewaterWW - http://EdgewaterWW.Etsy.com

View jeff robinson's profile

jeff robinson

#4 posted 02-25-2014 12:31 AM

I’ve had this saw for 3 years now and had no complaints with it. I’ve cut many a board feet with from soft to extremely hard woods. the only con would be the fence system.

-- jeff robinson, panama city, fl

View carver1942's profile

carver1942

#5 posted 02-25-2014 12:57 AM

I have this saw also. I like the saw, but unfortunately I got one of the bad ones with the blade shift. Good luck with your new saw.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#6 posted 02-25-2014 01:11 AM

Jay: I don’t know why you would replace your saw with one that is equal to what you already have.
I would have thought you would get one with more hp.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#7 posted 02-25-2014 04:48 AM

Aligning to the miter slot is only one part of the issue, staying aligned is the other. And some have trouble keeping the fence aligned. These problems have plagued Rigid for 2 saw generations over how many years … if any other brand had half as many problems you’d never hear a kind word about them but people keep gambling on these.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#8 posted 02-25-2014 05:27 AM

Enjoy!

View ontheworkbench's profile

ontheworkbench

#9 posted 02-25-2014 06:01 AM

I thought you with a relatively new Porter Cable table saw in your videos; just out of curiosity did it fail on you?

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#10 posted 02-25-2014 01:58 PM

I’ve been following a forum topic about the alignment/elevation issues, and it looks like Ridgid might finally have a “fix” for it.

-- paxorion

#12 posted 02-25-2014 11:51 PM

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#13 posted 02-26-2014 12:44 AM

I feel fortunate that I was able to dispose of my R4512. It had too many problems. From what I read, there’s a lot more with problems than without.

So, what do you think will be your next saw?

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#14 posted 02-26-2014 02:31 AM

Thanks for the update. I don’t understand how some saws can have this issue and not others. My suspicion is the flaw is present in all of them but maybe worse in some, and that some owners just don’t notice.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

#15 posted 02-26-2014 03:07 AM

Pretty good saw if you get a good one ? Cmon now, go get you a table saw,(won’t find it at the bork)