Mostly does what it is supposed to

Review by Manitario posted 02-22-2014 04:28 PM 2468 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mostly does what it is supposed to No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this planer about a year and a half ago. I wanted to upgrade my 13” lunchbox planer and figured that there was no sense just upgrading to 15”. I can’t remember what lead to my decision to go with the Powermatic over other brands. The planer is heavily built and came with large, cast iron extension tables. Built in wheels made it easy to move around, thankfully because it is almost 800lbs! It also comes with an extra gear sprocket and gear chain to change the feeding speed from 16-20FPM to 24-31FPM.
Overall it works very well with very little snipe. Bottom line. The extension tables are difficult to align properly, but I imagine that this is similar for every machine (certainly the case with my jointer and TS). My only disappointment with the planer is the dust collection. It comes with a 5” duct hood which is silly (why not 6” in this industrial sized machine??) and the duct is parallel to and located only a few inches above the planer table which often leads to wood hitting the ducting. This is a stupid design. Even pointing the duct a few degrees upwards would have made this better. As usual with a lot of machinery, the dust collection seems to be an afterthought. Otherwise the planer would be excellent.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#1 posted 02-22-2014 04:33 PM

I have the same planer. I agree with the shortcomings that you pointed out. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the machine.

helluvawreck aka Charles

112082 posts in 2229 days

#2 posted 02-22-2014 04:36 PM

I feel many planners have the same flaw.thanks for the review.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 02-22-2014 05:04 PM

Interesting about the DC. Guess that would be something to look for. I suspect I will be in the market for a better planer as well, but it is always a question as to where to put it. Thanks for the detailed review.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 02-22-2014 05:41 PM

I had assumed that an 800 lb cast iron planer like that would have no snipe to speak of.

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#5 posted 02-22-2014 10:29 PM

All planers have snipe unless they are perfectly tuned. The trick is getting them to stay properly adjusted as they are used.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View RobWoodCutter's profile

RobWoodCutter

#6 posted 02-23-2014 04:11 AM

The duct has go out horizontal because of the wood return rollers on the top. I just put a horizontal 45 elbow to kick to the right on mine.

Rob

-- Rob-Yorktown "Shop's still not done, Tools are bought, Wood is bought, need to find time to start a project.."

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#7 posted 02-23-2014 09:54 AM

It would be interesting to talk with the folks who actually design these machines, or at least the folks whom accept that the design doesn’t need fixing and find out what their thinking is.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View darthford's profile

darthford

#8 posted 02-23-2014 10:22 AM

My PM 15HH dust port is parallel but does angle off at 45 degrees. Here is how I install/align planer tables, and table saw extension wings, and fence rails. No snipe on mine, zero, I was stunned. I had the Grizzly version of this planer and it was snipe city.

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#9 posted 02-25-2014 02:57 PM

”Mostly does what it is supposed to”

Curious, what doesn’t it do that it is supposed to do?

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com