Many times more useful than I expected. Weight your uses to figure out if a-la-carte works better

Review by paxorion posted 02-20-2014 04:17 AM 1916 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Many times more useful than I expected.  Weight your uses to figure out if a-la-carte works better Many times more useful than I expected.  Weight your uses to figure out if a-la-carte works better Many times more useful than I expected.  Weight your uses to figure out if a-la-carte works better Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this Rockler Bench Cookie set as an impulse buy about a year ago. This purchase has proven to be my best impulse buy to date. Everyone in my family loves using the bench cookies, including the wifey and my 2 year old daughter who keeps trying to steal them, so she can do curls. I’m going to split my review into the 4 components. What I will say, is that while the set is awesome, if you find you only want the cookies and/or the cones (like me), you may be better off buying those pieces individually rather than getting the set.

• Cookies – The cookies have a surprising amount of grip for such a small surface area. It has proven to be an indispensable accessory for all of my sanding and routing tasks. Does may get into the black grip material, reducing effectiveness, but a quick spray of compressed air clears out the dust and gets it back to being fully functional. I don’t think I can say anything negative about the cookies from a performance standpoint. Also, be sure to put an appropriate number of cookies on the project you are working on, as you don’t want them to become a pivot point if you are resting a tool (e.g. sander/router) on your workpiece and tipping it over. The one bit of damage I put into the cookies was from the screw holding the bearing of a round-over bit when I left the cookie too close to the edge while routing the pizza peel profile (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/87551). The screw left a nice straight cut through the top of the bench cookie, but that doesn’t affect it’s function.
  • Cones – Use them with or without the bench cookies. With the cookies, they are incredible stable and great for propping up project for finish. Without the bench cookies, they can hold lighter weight projects like the cutting boards I was working on when the project photos were taken. These cones were what got my wife (who was skeptical of my impulse buy) to agree that this was a good buy, when she was painting the child’s rocking chair (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/81144).
  • Risers (Standard) – When I bought the set, I was doing all of my woodworking on two cheap TaskForce WorkMate-imitations I got from the Blue big box store. I expected the risers to come in handy, slotting in the holes on the workmate stand. However with the amount of grip the bench cookies had on their own, and the fact that I built an outdoor bench that drastically reduced my use of the workmate, I haven’t used the risers much. I’d classify it as a “great, maybe one day I’ll use it” part of the kit.
  • Risers (XL) – These have proven to be the dud of the set, as the bench cookies are very unstable when in use, possibly from poor fitting dog holes. As a result, they have served no purpose other than to make “dumb-bells” that my daughter. The photo was taken when I first got the set (she was a little over 1 year old at the time). Since then, everytime she’s seen the bench cookies, I’ve lost use of them for about a week as they’ve become the new precious, that must got to bed with her (maybe it’s time to get her a set).

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

View BenI's profile

BenI

#1 posted 02-20-2014 03:35 PM

I also got the whole set since I figured even if I didn’t use every single part it was only $39, seems like it’s always on sale. I got the sawhorse attachment as well which as come in handy for pieces that are too big for my workbench.

All in all it is a pretty hand kit but as you said, definitely want to think about if you actually need all the parts it comes with.

-- Ben from IL

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#2 posted 02-20-2014 06:04 PM

I don’t have the set, but I use the cones on my Bench Dog cookies and they’re great.

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#3 posted 02-20-2014 06:26 PM

Thanks for your review.

View eddie's profile

eddie

#4 posted 02-21-2014 06:36 PM

got these and they are handy to have around,good review

-- Jesus Is Alright with me