A little rough around the edges but a great tool

Review by ic3ss posted 155 days ago 1938 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A little rough around the edges but a great tool A little rough around the edges but a great tool A little rough around the edges but a great tool Click the pictures to enlarge them

I must start this of by saying that I really would like to give this 4.5 stars but that’s not available here. I set this up on my old grinder and this week I bought a new Rikon grinder from Woodcraft so I mounted that to my base. It does take some time to set these bases up but it’s not hard at all. The two tool rests are made from heavy welded steel and the two bases are an extruded aluminum and is nothing if not stout. The only issue that I had with it is the flat grinding rest, the edges were a bit rough and when I would sharpen my scraper, the edges of the square bar stock would catch on the high spots on the edge of the rest. I just took a file across the top and took down the high spots and now it works very well.

I’ve been using this since just before Christmas and I love it. I also picked up the dressing tool and that thing works far better that the “T” style dressing tool that came with my grinder. That thing leaves grooves in the wheel and the diamonds have begun to fall off.

I can recommend this with full confidence, it’s a great tool but it may need a little cleaning up out of the box.

Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

I have the same jig and like it.
I wish the flat rest was a bit less deep so as to accommodate my shorter tools.
I really like the way it has tuned up the edge on my bowl gouges and such.
Thanks Wayne.

-- Having fun...Eric

I have the same jig as well, and the Vari Grind… I matched it to an 8” Ryobi grinder with the oxide wheels (OneWay’s documentation used to recommend a full speed grinder, go figure…). The one caveat I have to give is make absolutely sure your bases are centered on the wheels…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

I got the full Wolverine system (original Varigrind) along with a set of Raptor setup tools as a retirement gift from the guys at work … it is a great system.

A couple of months ago, I upgraded my grinder with a set of CBN wheels (see: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3742 ) and my tools have never been so sharp.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

Dane, What kind of HP do you need for CBN wheels, will 1/2HP cut it you think? I’ve been looking at these but at the cost I’m afraid it’s a ways off for me.

Wayne

View jeff's profile

jeff

634 posts in 2063 days

Wood Turners Wonders
www.woodturnerswonders.com/‎
It takes a wood turner to understand what a wood turner needs.
I think you should’t have a problem spinning CBN wheels…Here’s a nice packaged price on CBN wheels…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

Wayne—I have a Woodcraft 1/2HP grinder and it does fine.

I do, however, spin the wheels by hand before I turn the switch on … rumor has it that is better for the start capacitor.