Pepperwood Burl Writing Box

Review by Dennis Zongker posted 155 days ago 1743 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
  Pepperwood Burl Writing Box No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fellow LJ member Roger Bean wrote a great E-book on making a Pepperwood Burl Writing Box which has 119 pages filled with pictures and easy to follow step-by-step instructions. This eBook is not a repeat of volume 1; most of the materials are different and provides useful information to add to Roger’s series. I have always admired Rogers work and his boxes are beautiful.

I enjoyed looking over his shoulder because a woodworker can learn a lot from others and Rogers’s style and explanations are well organized and well written. The section on veneering provides a lot of information on how to match up your burl veneer. The bonus section is a unique addition to this volume Roger shows you how to repair the imperfections of beautiful burl veneers. Which is truly an added bonus to this book.

The section on the four different inlay styles for this box I found very useful. There is not enough information out there that will walk you through step by step like in this book. This is a great reference on the subject.

Last but not least I agree with Roger that the finishing process is just as important as building itself. I enjoyed reading on how he applied the French polish. Whatever finish you choose to use is completely up to each woodworker but learning how to add a beautiful finish really does complete a project that you have worked really hard on and you are truly proud of.

This book provides you with insights, tips and Rogers’s unique way of working with veneer, inlays and finishes. It is a must read for woodworkers of all skill level whether you are a box maker or a woodworking wanting to learn different techniques that you can apply you your own project. You can find this book at http://www.smartboxmaker.com/product/walnut-fountain-pen-box-iphone-photo-documentary/

-- Dennis Zongker

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View tinnman65's profile

tinnman65

1104 posts in 2010 days

Thanks for the review Dennis. Its nice to know that there are woodworkers of your caliber still looking for something to learn but then that explains why your work is done so well. We really never stop learning and thanks to people like Roger and yourself who take the time to put their knowledge in a book we can keep on improving our skills. I learned the hard way long ago about the importance of the finishing process, you work hard to make something nice and then fall short because you don’t take the time to finish it properly. That is still one of the hardest parts of any project I do.

-- Paul--- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams

View Brice1's profile

Brice1

Dennis:

Great review, and I couldn’t agree with you more in your assessment of Roger’s e-Book. I’ve devoured the newest offering and find myself going back to certain sections again and again. The chapter on veneer repair is very informative and I’m looking forward to trying his techniques.

I think that we’re all fortunate to have access to such a talented and gifted artisan as Roger Bean – and doubly fortunate that he’s elected to share his knowledge and skill through these e-Books at such a great price!

Once again Dennis – great review on a really great offering!

Brice

-- Brice, Philadelphia

View SPHinTampa's profile

SPHinTampa

+1 for both ebooks in the series.

I have both these eBooks and they are a great buy for the money. There is a level of attention to detail that is fantastic and there are tons of pictures to help you visualize the process.

One of the key evaluation criteria for me is the quality of the woodworking that the author produces. Roger’s work is awesome. So watching the process he uses to create his masterpieces is almost as good as sitting in the shop with him.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

Thanks to all for the kind words. They’re appreciated. Initially, I wondered whether anyone would be interested in these e-books. But the response from those who have downloaded them has been humbling. I’m just a guy who likes to make boxes, and since I never seem to make the same thing twice, the e-books are all different as well. I consciously try to keep them to about 100 pages each, but to include a lot of new material in each one. Lots of new projects on the bench, so there will probably be a few more books before I run out of new things to say. LOL Many thanks to all. Keep makin’ boxes.