Rikon 8" low speed bench grinder

Review by ic3ss posted 02-16-2014 08:01 PM 3190 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rikon 8" low speed bench grinder No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this two days ago from Woodcraft as a replacement for the WoodRiver grinder that had so many problems that Woodcraft stopped carrying it. I just got it taken out of the box and plugged it in and it wouldn’t start. The right wheel contacted the wheel guard and stopped cold. I noticed how the guard was pushed over sideways so far that I couldn’t even turn the wheel past it by hand. I bent it back toward center a bit but it still rubs the wheel. But at least I could turn it and then I noticed how crooked the wheel itself was. Now I’m getting upset, so I got my camcorder and shot some video so you could see….

I’m giving this one star because of the bent guard, the bent wheel plate, and the vibration. I called Woodcraft and they told me to come in and they’d replace it but wouldn’t give a refund. Nice.

I’m going to have them open up boxes until we find one that’s good, and then I’m going to update this review later today. Made in China, gotta love it!

Wayne

UPDATE:

So I just got back with another grinder. The store manager unboxed another grinder and it had the same wheel wobble issue, but the guard was ok. We took both apart and swapped parts until one of them was a little better. I told him that the display model seemed to work fine and if he didn’t mind if I took that one. He said ok so that’s what I took back home.

The problem with this grinder, and I suspect many grinders, is the grinding wheel is held by a stamped disc (instead of a machined one), and that disc registers against a shoulder cut on the motor shaft to keep the wheel straight. That shoulder is only maybe 0.020” for this big disc to press against so it really is just riding the edge of the hole in the disc and doesn’t offer much metal to metal contact for support of the disc. It seems this is pretty common on these so I’ll just live with it until I don’t want to live with it anymore.

On the upside: the manager at Woodcraft was totally cool about the whole thing and went above and beyond to make it right for me, although still no refund, so for that I give them four stars. The grinder gets two stars because it runs, grinds, doesn’t vibrate too badly, it does what it’s supposed to do. Design quality is the issue with it and it could have been so easily solved on the drawing board, but was not.

I know that Made in China doesn’t automatically mean Trash. Some Chinese manufacturers are better than others, same as in the US. To me it means I have to keep my guard up more when I’m buying.

I hope that anyone thinking of buying this grinder can make use of this review. Thanks for reading, and have a great day.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 02-16-2014 09:10 PM

McMaster Carr has replaceable bushings for the grinding wheels.

I made two out of walnut until the one’s from M&C came in.

The part# for mine was 8491A562. It has a 1” arbor.

View madts's profile

madts

#2 posted 02-16-2014 09:41 PM

Why even give it 2 stars?

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

#3 posted 02-16-2014 11:28 PM

The name on the grinder does not mean a thing, it makes no difference.
this is why I refuse to pay for a name.
And one more time ,Wood-Craft fails to delivers

#4 posted 02-17-2014 01:21 AM

By not refunding your money, are they implying that you’re the one who damaged it ?
Was the box damaged when you bought it (as seen in video) ?
Did you rate it two stars, one for the bent shield and the other star for the crooked wheels ?

#5 posted 02-17-2014 03:05 AM

I meant to give one star. The store policy, it seems, is no refunds for power tools. The box is in good shape, no damage. I was not able to go to portland woodcraft today so I’ll return it tomorrow.

View WillliamMSP's profile

WillliamMSP

#6 posted 02-17-2014 03:22 AM

I was thinking about picking up one of these – thanks for the timely review and for taking the bullet for me. ;)

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#7 posted 02-17-2014 04:14 AM

That’s a terrible grinder to be sure but rating a damaged piece of equipment is a little unfair. Tough to say whether this is a Woodcraft fault, Rikon fault, or could have been a hung over fork truck operator. Hopefully the replacement will be in better condition. I’d open the box before leaving the store.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

#8 posted 02-17-2014 05:57 AM

Ouch, hope you cab get it resolved quickly

-- Norman

View redryder's profile (online now)

redryder

#9 posted 02-17-2014 07:31 AM

I agree with what Rick M. states but I also think that a store that won’t refund completely for a defective product is a store that values money over customers…..................

-- mike...............

View WillliamMSP's profile

WillliamMSP

#10 posted 02-17-2014 02:57 PM

I would normally agree about rating a damaged piece of gear, but it was stated that the packaging didn’t show any signs of damage, which makes me think that the packaging is inadequate. That, coupled with the vendor’s return policy makes me feel that the criticism is warranted.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#11 posted 02-17-2014 04:43 PM

I agree about the vendor criticism, they get a lot of negative comments at our local woodworking club but it’s not Woodcraft’s name in the title of the review.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

#12 posted 02-17-2014 05:05 PM

I’ve had nothing but good experience with Woodcraft as a store, this is the first time I have bought a power tool from them. I was just a little bent about the fact that they will not give a refund.

“Made in China” being what it is, I don’t expect perfection but this unusable. If the grinder was dropped, it had to have happened before packaging as the box and packing styrofoam were in perfect shape which speaks to manufacturer quality control not Woodcraft directly.

I’m headed up to Woodcraft in just a bit to return it, and I’ll update when I get back.

#13 posted 02-17-2014 07:39 PM

Made in China is not synonym with junk.
Some made in china stuff is good or very good, for example woodrivers hand planes.

View BuckI's profile

BuckI

#14 posted 02-17-2014 09:21 PM

Thank you for your review. I would want to know of any problems before. I purchased one. Store policy or not you should be entitled to a refund if that pleases you. If you can’t work it out to your satisfaction, you could refer the matter to corporate. I just don’t agree with the policy of not refunding your money if that is what you desire. Show them the video, it looks damaged in your video, hopefully they will be able to make it right. Good luck!

-- Kevin, Ohio

#15 posted 02-17-2014 10:27 PM

Update is written above. Woodcraft came through for me.