Ultimate in accuracy and space savings

Review by dshute posted 02-14-2014 10:20 PM 5396 views 1 time favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ultimate in accuracy and space savings No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Bosch axial glide 10” dual bevel miter saw to replace a 20 year old Makita that I just plain wore out. I really wanted to increase the capacity of my miter saw for years but didn’t want to expand the depth of my cut off table and give up valuable floor space. Then the 12” axial glide was released a few years back. Again, I wanted to stay with a 10” saw because of the investment already made in 10” saw blades, all my blades are Forrest and all my saws are 10”, all interchangeable. So when the 10’ axial glide came out I continued to read reviews and placed my order.

This saw is heavy but I do not move it, all my work is done in the shop. I have a 24’ cut off table with the miter at 8’ from one end and the radial arm 8’ from the other end. All my rough cutting is done on the radial arm and finish cutting is done on the miter saw. I have to say thus far I am impressed with this saw. Extremely accurate, extremely smooth movement and extremely good build quality. The thing is really easy to use, all the adjustments are made from the front and the motor is 15 amps, belt drive.

The saw is mounted almost tight to the wall which was not possible for a conventional sliding miter with rods. Dust collection is excellent and you can lock the gliding mechanism so it functions in the fixed back position. I am giving this saw a 5 out of 5 stars, nothing negative yet.

#1 posted 02-14-2014 11:12 PM

Very nice saw if you can afford it.

View Rick's profile

Rick

#2 posted 02-15-2014 12:50 AM

Thanks for the Review “dshute”. I’ve been looking at a few 10” Axial Glide, Dual Bevel Saws to replace

my Old 10” Makita. I’ve got Prices and Specs coming out of my “Ying Yang”!

You just helped me make up my mind. This WILL be the one that I will Buy!

In my opinion there is nothing else out there that can come close to this saw in the way of Specs OR Price.

Bert: “If you can afford it?” Show me ONE other 10” Axial Glide, or NON Axial Glide that can come close to $ 619.00 CDN. Which is what I can buy it for “Around The Corner” at “Eglinton Hardware”.

$619.00 IS A GIFT!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-- How long is a Minute? That depends on which side of the Bathroom Door You're On!

View ol104's profile

ol104

#3 posted 02-15-2014 03:53 PM

I have the 12” and absolutely love it. Features and adjustments all over, extremely smooth glide mechanism that you can actually add resistance to if you prefer a little more “pull” typical of a rail slider. Bosch just released this 10” model a few months back. I saw one at the recent Woodworking Show in Columbus in early February and spoke to the Bosch rep about it. They wanted to provide a lower price point glider and the 10” gave them that opportunity. Only a few slight differences such as the 10” doesn’t have extendable rails for longer stock but generally the exact same gliding mechanism as the 12”. For anyone looking to get a top notch miter saw but without a ton of room, the glide mechanism is the way to go. Everyone drools over the $1300 Kapex but I just cant see the $500 in improvements it offers over the Bosch offering. I took that $500 and was able to get a DW735 planer…

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5264 posts in 2055 days

#4 posted 02-15-2014 06:46 PM

My previous miter saw was a Bosch 10” slider. It took up a lot of back space… When I sold it the 12” axial glide was the only size Bosch had available and I didn’t want a 12” miter saw.

If the 10” would have been available a couple of years ago I most likely would have bought it…Bosch makes quality tools at a reasonable price.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View LitoAz's profile

LitoAz

#5 posted 02-15-2014 09:42 PM

Hi Dshute! Would you mind helping me with these two measurements from your saw please? I’m very interested in this saw… I currently have a 12 chop saw but my curret shop set up doens’t allow me for a conventional slider as my miter station space is too narrow.

I’m sorry that I used your image!

#6 posted 02-15-2014 10:25 PM

LitoAz, the measurements you asked for are, absolute front of knob to absolute back of saw is 32 1/2” and the absolute front of base to absolute back of saw is 20 1/2”. Hope that helps. My cut off table is 30” from wall to front edge and the knob on the absolute front overhangs by 2 1/2” and is not a problem for me.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#7 posted 02-15-2014 11:40 PM

I had the original Bosch 10” slider and it was a great saw. This one looks like Robosaw and it should be programmable. I’ve put my hands on one and was really impressed with the mechanism, very smooth. Heavy is good, very good. I’ve never understood men complaining about the weight of a tool you have to carry at the most twice a day, from the truck to the saw bench and back again at the end of the day. It’s not like you have to hold it up in the air to make a cut. I guarantee you that the accuracy of this saw is dependent on it’s mass just as any other machine benefits from heavy components. You have a great tool and some of you guys (you know who you are) need to man up and quit whining. It’s too heavy? Give me a break, gotta love the iron, I know I do.

#8 posted 02-16-2014 12:16 AM

Very nice toy enjoy !

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#9 posted 02-16-2014 01:34 AM

Looks like a nice saw. You say the dust collection is good. Were you using the bag or did you hook it to a vacuum. One of the reasons I don’t currently have a mitre saw is they tend to spew dust.

#10 posted 02-16-2014 01:47 AM

The dust bag catches about 75% of the dust, vacuum on saw catches about 95%. This is an estimate of course, I would say it’s designed better than most but nothing is 100%.

View LitoAz's profile

LitoAz

#11 posted 02-16-2014 05:34 AM

Thank you Dshute! BTW I love your workbench!

#12 posted 02-16-2014 12:19 PM

LitoAz, you’re more than welcome and thanks on the bench comment, you can see more of it in my projects here at lumberjocks, built it out of black walnut and hard maple.

View aatwatch's profile

aatwatch

#13 posted 02-16-2014 05:50 PM

I have the 12” slider and absolutely love it. I am a big fan of Bosch tools. I bought my slider a few years ago at Lowes for 600 bucks with the free stand offer on clearance and then the next month saw this axial glide beauty sitting there… it was a sad moment. Enjoy!

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#14 posted 02-16-2014 05:51 PM

I have the 12 inch… one of the best tools I own. If you want quality, sometimes you have to pay a little more. The 10 inch sounds like the little sister of the 12 inch.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#15 posted 02-17-2014 01:59 AM

Thanks for the info on the dust collection. This looks like a really nice saw. I know people are commenting that it’s expensive but even at full retail its still less than 1/2 the cost of the Kapex. Of course I have no clue why anyone would pay that much.