It worked good three times.....just not in a row

Review by jakeprater posted 190 days ago 2215 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It worked good three times.....just not in a row No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this back in December, and it worked great right out of the box. It has a nice fit and finish, and doesn’t feel like cheap plastic. I like the rubber handgrip. The mail tray feels a little light weight, but it functions smoothly, so no real issue there.

I also bought Bostich 1 inch nails to go with it – I tried not to skimp too much.

So I opened it up, put a few drops of oil in the inlet, and a couple in the oil slot on the front, and hooked it up to my compressor at 90 lbs of pressure. It worked fine, but the nails weren’t set quite as low as I wanted, so I cracked up the pressure to 100 lbs. It worked perfectly, and I ran about 50 nails through it to test it out (my wife would say I was”playing”with it).

The second time I tried to use it, it simply did not work. I depressed the trigger, I heard and felt air at the trigger, but no “kachunk”. I tapped it lightly on a scrap block, still nothing. Hmmmmm…..

So next I took off the tip plates to expose the hammer, thinking I hadn’t oiled it properly. There was plenty of oil on it, and on the slide. I lifted the hammer from its track slightly, then hooked up the air, and it worked! I put it back together and it worked fine for the project I was doing.

Then I took it out again for another project, and again, air but no action. I tried taking just the tip plates of, but it didn’t work, so I disassembled the whole thing. Yep, I probably voided the warranty. I cleaned it out, there was nothing obviously wrong, put it back together and it worked for my project this morning. It felt like the piston and hammer were hanging up because the top was slightly out of alignment, so I straightened that out as I put it back together. then I picked it up for a quick jig fix this afternoon, and NOTHING. Once again, air but no action.

I have no idea what is wrong with it, and most of the reviews I read were really positive, so if anyone can point out a fix, I’d be grateful! Maybr the valve has an issue?

Like I said, when it works, I have no issues, no jams at all, but I can’t see tearing it apart each time I want to use it.

jakeprater

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2382 posts in 2062 days

When mine makes that pfft sound but no nail it’s I usually just pull the load tray back and slam it shut again. If that doesn’t work it’s a nail that’s jammed in the slot. You took yours apart so that’s probably not it. Mine is a porter cable.. looks like a clone of yours. It doesn’t jam much but the tray pullback usually works.

jakeprater

Thanks for the tip, I’ll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

I found the parts diagram for my nailer, so i type it all the way down and cleaned it up, so now it worked again. I’ll check it when i get back to the house to see if it’s just another fluke or if maybe i did it right this time.

Thanks again!

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

I just read some reviews on this nailer and for the most part they are positive. One guy had an issue similar to yours and said he called the company and they simply sent him a new one no questions asked. I’d do the same if it acts up again.

View John 's profile

John

208 posts in 2026 days

I have one of their Brad Nailers that I bought from Home Depot. It was a “Refurbished” (used) one. I think I paid about 25.00 for it. I’ve taken it on several jobs as well as in the shop and have not even had a nail jam. It’s comfortable to hold and all my old senco nails work in it.

-- John

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I have this exact same gun. I’ve only used it 3-4 times so far, but never had any issues.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Could be the piston is getting hung from possibly some left over grease that was used for assembly. The oil would not necessarily wash it out. Once you get it moving, it is fine. Alignment, bad o-ring, also in play.
Hate to say it, but the $20 23 gauge pinner I bought from HF almost ten years ago has never failed me.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

Try a different brand of nail.

jakeprater

I tore it all down and cleaned out all the grease, there was also some rubber debris in the back, but I couldn’t tell what it was from, now it seems to work just fine. I made a couple of jigs today with it, with no issues. If it keeps working I’ll just chalk it up to the grease and little pieces of rubber.

View Bob Current 's profile

Bob Current

How clean is your piping system whether it be hoses or pipe. Do you have a filter?

-- When you are wrong admit it, when you are right forget it.

jakeprater

Nope, no filter, and I need to get a new intake filter for my compressor. Aside from theobvious, how much does an online filter or separator actually help?

View gtbuzz's profile

gtbuzz

Sorry to hear you’re having problems with yours. I’d give the mfr a call and see what they might do for you. I’ve also heard in the past they’re pretty good about this. I’ve got the same unit and have never had any problems. I’m not a heavy-duty user though. A few times a month and have had it about a year. The only thing I don’t like about it is the design of the “safety” (or lack thereof).

jakeprater

After cleaning it out, it’s working just fine. Right now, with it working, I would have rated it at 5 stars. Price, finishing, operation, apparent quality….. It seems to have it all. I like it, and since it’s working now I don’t see any reason to get a new one.
Thanks to Tennessee for suggesting the tear down, and I’ll be adding filters to my system in the near future.