My Super Dust Deputy Review

Review by Garth posted 02-11-2014 02:52 AM 4027 views 5 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Super Dust Deputy Review My Super Dust Deputy Review My Super Dust Deputy Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I upgraded my shopvac & Dust Deputy to a Souped up Harbor Freight Dust Collector. With that, I got the Super Duputy.

Attached are some pictures that show how much dust was collected in the bin by the cyclone and how little dust got into the bag of the dust collector. Needless to say, I think the pictures pretty much tell the story of how well it worked.

More information on the system is here.

View Garth's profile

Garth

View brtech's profile

brtech

#1 posted 02-11-2014 03:21 PM

If you have the SDD, why would you want the wok upgrade? Both are designed to improve separation of chips and sawdust before the filter. If the SDD is doing such a great job, it seems like the salad bowl probably cuts down suction more than it’s helping.

I would consider hard duct between the SDD and the DC. I’m betting you lose a lot of suction through that hose you have now. It’s hard to get 5” PVC, but you don’t need much. Maybe a 45 out of the DC, an angled pipe up to the top and a 45 down, with a short piece of flex so you can remove the bucket easier.

View Garth's profile

Garth

#2 posted 02-11-2014 07:58 PM

Good question.

I added the salad bowl as some of the Jet’s and Powermatics have them. I am certain you are right that it might cut down on the air flow, but I guess i thought it might help keep as much of the fine dust from hitting the filter.

Thanks for the suggestion on the straight pipe. I will look into it. I could somehow attach it to the support beams and then use only the flex to attach to the top of the cyclone.

My original plan was to build a stand to hold the dust deputy and then have the dust collector mounted directly to the top of the cyclone. Then I was only going to use ~ 1 foot of the 5” hose to go straight down to a drum. When I started laying it out, it was going to get to big for my space and I ended up using the 5” hose as I have it in the picture. I think you are right on the pipe. I will look into replacing the hose with straight pipe.