Benjamin Moore Advance

Review by woodworkingdrew posted 150 days ago 2720 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Benjamin Moore Advance Benjamin Moore Advance No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This past weekend, I painted a birch shelving unit with BM Advance paint. This is exceptional paint. First off my experience in my local paint shop was top notch. The employees are extremely knowledgeable, and very quick with mixing the product. I used a small Purdy 4 inch roller on the shelves/sides and a Purdy Nylox brush for the face frame and trim. The paint has excellent coverage and in 2 coats looked superb. It had excellent self leveling properties, and very low odor. Cleaning my roller covers and paint brushes was a snap and just rinsed them off with tap water as I would with a water based paint. I look forward to using this product down the road for all my wood working finishes. This product sells for around 25.00 per quart. Well worth the money looking at the results.

-- Andrew, California

View woodworkingdrew's profile

woodworkingdrew

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

363 posts in 2014 days

At $25 a quart, you’ve got $4 around the rim of your can :) I’d invest in one of those rim protectors that allow the excess paint to drip back in the can after pouring.

I’ll have to give it a try on the next paint job. I’ve got a project coming this spring to knock out a 20’ section of kneewall to replace with built-ins and a TV nook.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

I just used this paint 3 months ago to paint my kitchen cabinets. Very nice stuff to work with. My only qualm with it was how long it took to dry. The added open time was nice but hard to get more than 2 coats in a day. I will say that its tough as nails once fully cured. My 1 1/2 year old son beats the daylights out of the cabinets and I haven’t had any chipping yet.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I too used this stuff on a foyer table 7-8 months ago. A joy to work with and yielded excellent results. I use the table to toss my cell phone, wallet, keys, and change when I come home each day. Despite daily use/abuse, the paint is holding up nicely.

View CWind's profile

CWind

Just finished a wall unit myself with it. In my case, I sprayed it with a Graco TrueCoat without thinning. The Advance levels beautifully, but does take a long time to dry (can says 16 hours between coats).

View bonobo's profile

bonobo

Last week I painted this stuff on the interior on a medicine cabinet project. I primed the bare pine with dewaxed shellac, then two coats of the Advance, sanding the nibs off after the primer and first coat. Levelled beautifully and got harder over the next few days.

Very forgiving, too. I had to pick out a few stray hairs during a final once over but can’t see any evidence of the touch ups.

-- “The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” ― Mark Twain

View bonobo's profile

bonobo

Just a caveat to my endorsement of this paint… alcohol will dissolve the dry paint in an instant.

My medicine cabinet is a mixture of walnut and painted pine. I planned to put a coat of shellac over it and luckily experimented on some scrap. A heavy coat of shallac basically liquified the paint.