New Router for the Router Table

Review by Jerry posted 02-09-2014 10:04 PM 4644 views 3 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Router for the Router Table New Router for the Router Table New Router for the Router Table Click the pictures to enlarge them

This router is amazing. Quiet, powerful – 2.25 HP, variable speed – 10,000-24,000 RPM, a breeze to adjust, which you can do three ways.

1) With the adjustment screw
2) By pushing the release button you can adjust quickly to a given range, then dial it in
3) Best of all, with a T-Handle wrench ( provided as part of the package ) through the bottom of the router, this makes it perfect for a router table, and you don’t have the added expense of a router lift.

You can also use both 1/4” and 1/2” bits, ( collets for both sizes provided )

I just added this to my shop made router table today along with a new Kreg table insert, and I love it.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be.

View longgone's profile

longgone

#1 posted 02-09-2014 11:08 PM

I have had that same router for several years…never used it in my router table however. I like the handstrap that makes it very convenient for one handed routing. The only issue is that the bits frequently get stuck in the 1/2” collet and have to be tapped out…Other than that it is a great router…

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#2 posted 02-10-2014 01:22 AM

Thanks for the review. A great tool.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View woodworkingdrew's profile

woodworkingdrew

#3 posted 02-10-2014 06:23 AM

Thanks for this great review. I have had my eye on this router for some time. I am a huge fan of milwaukee tools. Every Milwaukee tool I have owned has been flawless.

-- Andrew, California

4538 posts in 2051 days

#4 posted 02-10-2014 03:11 PM

I have this router, without the variable speed, of several year and I like it very much.
I bought it in a set on Amazon with the plunge base for $156.00 ( I believe)

View Richard's profile

Richard

#5 posted 02-11-2014 08:39 PM

Jerry , how is the thru the base adjustment working for you ? I have heard from several people that when mounted in the table the Milwaukee routers had an issue that it was a bit to tight and they had problems with getting nice even adjustments with it. hopefuly yours is good.

#6 posted 02-12-2014 01:36 AM

The through the base adjustment is working really smoothly and accurately for me, it’s every bit as good as a router lift, and $350.00 less expensive :-)

I can’t imagine the adjustment being a problem UNLESS you were to forget to disengage the lock lever ( it’s that black bracket looking thing right above the adjustment dial in picture 3 ). I have not tried doing an adjustment with the lock lever fully engaged, but I imagine you could override it with sufficient force on the T-handle wrench. If a person were to try it that way, they might be able to adjust the height, but it would be, as you said, problematic.

#7 posted 04-02-2015 12:04 PM

I am getting ready to build a router extension wing for my table saw. Have wondered what combination to use for router and lift. Looks like yours is good. Do you have any suggestions now that you have used it for a while?

#8 posted 04-02-2015 07:12 PM

- paul1474

I still really like this router and this setup. More than anything, the power. I think the best bang for the buck right now is the 3 1/4 HP variable speed router motor from MLCS Woodworking at $219.95 you can’t match that much HP for the money anywhere else, but it doesn’t have above the table adjustment, so you would have to buy a router lift too.

#9 posted 04-05-2015 02:38 PM

Just bought Triton 3.25 HP at Menards for $199. From what I understand I won’t need lift with this model. So will give it a try and see how it goes.

#10 posted 04-05-2015 05:43 PM

Just bought Triton 3.25 HP at Menards for $199. From what I understand I won t need lift with this model. So will give it a try and see how it goes.

- paul1474

Now THAT is a heck of a buy. Great router too! Congrats.

#11 posted 04-05-2015 11:41 PM