A goof proof sharpening system

Review by CharlesA posted 194 days ago 2317 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A goof proof sharpening system A goof proof sharpening system A goof proof sharpening system Click the pictures to enlarge them

I will admit at the beginning that I have never used the scary sharp, the Paul Sellers method, Tormek, or other sharpening systems.

A year ago I got my first good set of chisels and started with some vintage Stanley planes. I stopped by my local Woodcraft and asked what they recommended for sharpening, and I picked up this Veritas Mk II and some Japanese water stones.

Good: You don’t have to know a lot. There are lots of possible settings for every kind of chisel and plane. It will handle small chisels to jointer plane blades. The adjustment attachment forces the blade into the right position for width, length, and angle—from 15-54 degrees bevel and from 10-20 back bevel. Very nice steel and brass construction. There is an optional camber roller for plane blades that require camber. Has a built-in 5 degree micro bevel option.

Not so good: When you are sharpening chisel blades 1/2” and smaller, you have to be very careful to get equal clamping pressure on the blade or it will swivel.

As a rookie sharpener learning this on my own, this system serves me quite well. Follow the directions and it is pretty goof proof.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

112011 posts in 2204 days

Thanks for the review,looks like a very useful guide. Just a note, Mike Dunbar invented the Scary Sharp method.

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1577 posts in 1918 days

Take the clamp bar off and rough up the contact surfaces.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

View BenI's profile

BenI

I recently got mine and have been using it to sharpen my older set of chisels and it’s fantastic. It makes it so easy to have consistent results and nice sharp blades.

-- Ben from IL

View BuckI's profile

BuckI

Great review! I have one of these as well, sure makes sharpening a “no brainier.” I have yet to master the technique when using the camber roller for smoothing planes.

-- Kevin, Ohio

View JHarshaw's profile

JHarshaw

Thanks for the review! I got one last summer, and was able to get consistent results also. As a newcomer to woodworking (aside from shop class 35 yrs ago) I am amazed how much sharp tools make a difference!

JH

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I’ve been meaning to order one. I’ll stalk Lee Valley for their next round of free shipping.

In the past I was looking at buying this guide but now I no longer use any guide at all.
It works well for me.
In general, I like Veritas products.

View love2cad's profile

love2cad

I have this jig also and love it. Sharping use to be one of things I put off and off.. now I don’t hesitate.

-- Bobby

I had one of these and it’s a great product. The add ons are worth the money (skew jig and camber roller). I had a slight bend in the roller pin, Lee Valley sent me a new one no questions asked.

Once I learned how to sharpen freehand, I no longer used mine and sold it.

-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi