Not impressed

Review by Vertigo posted 02-09-2014 02:36 AM 2157 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not impressed No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this bit because it had three cutters on each blade. It also promised to be a decent bit because of being adjustable. Well not quite what I thought. After 10 feet of tongue cutting one of the carbide tips snapped in half. My 5 year old was in the garage so fortunately it didn’t get him. Usually if carbide fails it detaches completely. This tooth literally cracked in half. In short go with another brand. It will be getting returned

-- Greg - Ferdinand and Son Construction: Do it right the first time. Like us on Facebook

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#1 posted 02-09-2014 02:41 AM

Ugh.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

#2 posted 02-09-2014 02:56 AM

Two stars? If this came apart in use like you say, one star is too many.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#3 posted 02-09-2014 03:06 AM

First off, glad the projectile did not find a human target!!!

Secondly, whatchya going to replace it with???

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View lightcs1776's profile

lightcs1776

#4 posted 02-09-2014 03:13 AM

Good information. I never have given a lot of thought to a router bit, figuring the main difference would be how long they kept sharp. I’ll be thinking more about which ones will become dangerous.

-- Chris ** If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. — Tom Paine **

#5 posted 02-09-2014 03:16 AM

I have always felt like Bosch router bits are lower quality bits. I have never had a catastrophic failure like yours, but my Bosch bits do not stay sharp as long as my Rockler, Freud, or Whiteside bits.

#6 posted 02-09-2014 03:18 AM

Randy not sure. Any suggestions

#7 posted 02-09-2014 03:19 AM

Old tool good point. Rating changed

112089 posts in 2232 days

#8 posted 02-09-2014 03:37 AM

I’m glad it didn’t hurt you or you son. I’m not defending Bosch router bits but it’s possible it was damaged,like you said Greg it’s much more lightly the whole cutter would come off. I’ve never had any problems with Whiteside router bits ,but they cost a lot more than Bosch router bits,if your wanting to upgrade.

View cso's profile

cso

#9 posted 02-09-2014 04:27 AM

Never had good luck with Bosch bits….decent routers, though.

View boxcarmarty's profile

boxcarmarty

#10 posted 02-09-2014 01:51 PM

Thanks Greg, I’ll make a note about Bosch, I usually buy Whiteside…..

-- My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

#11 posted 02-09-2014 07:02 PM

I think I’ll be a white side guy from here on out. I hear nothing but good things about them

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#12 posted 02-09-2014 10:21 PM

I bought a Bosch bit for making dadoes in plywood. It cut like a hatchet from the beginning and it burned. It acted as though there was something missing ….like the sharp edge it should have had. I bought a Rockler and have love it ever since. No more Bosch router bits for me.

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#13 posted 02-09-2014 10:30 PM

Randy not sure. Any suggestions

The Amana tongue and groove. I have used it for a lot of wood and it cuts perfectly.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

View bowedcurly's profile

bowedcurly

#14 posted 02-11-2014 10:33 AM

go with whiteside or eagle or amana

-- Staining killed the wood<<<<<>>>>>Dyeing gave it life

View Holt's profile

Holt

#15 posted 02-15-2014 12:13 PM

I think this evaluation could apply to all Bosch router bits. I haven’t had one go to pieces, but I’ve been completely impressed with the performance of any of their bits. Comparable Woodcraft house brand versions worked much better. I’d go along with the recommendations of Whiteside and Freud (especially the Quadras), never had an issue with one of those brands.