Flattened my water stones

Review by CharlesA posted 192 days ago 2094 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Flattened my water stones Flattened my water stones No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got into more serious sharpening a year ago, but didn’t really know that much. When recently sharpening my chisels, I realized that I had messed up last time, and I needed to re grind 5 of my chisels back to the original 25 degree bevel. My 250 coarse stone was not particularly flat when I finished. I knew I needed to flatten my stones since I use a Veritas Mk II and not the Paul Sellers method. I checked around and it seemed like the two prevailing options aware this norton stone and a diamond plate. This was a lot cheaper, so I went with this.

The good: makes short work of flattening a stone. I followed the instructions and drew a crosshatch pattern on each face and then flattened until that was gone. My stones are all dead flat now. You can see in the two pics the stones part way through flattening.

The bad: none so far

Then why did I give it four stars? Because the instructions say that the flattening stone can go out of flat, and that if it does, use either sandpaper on glass or a diamond plate to flatten it. If the glass and sandpaper (which I use to flatten planes) works, then this will be a 5 star. If I need a diamond plate, them I could have started with that and not needed this stone.

Chris208

I got this stone in a kit with my waterstones. It works fine for a while, but it does go out of flat. I ended up buying a extra course DMT stone, and use it now to flatten my stones and for rapid metal removal. I would return this and get a diamond plate, if I were you.

CharlesA

Chris, do you find the diamond stone to work as effectively?

Chris208

It seems a little quicker to me. Another advantage is that it’s easy to tell when your stone is flat enough because the dmt and the waterstone stick together through suction when the stone is flat. The extra course is available on amazon for about 45 dollars. I think it was free shipping, too.

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

Thanks for the review and discussion. I have been grinding over this very issue and wish I had a full series of DMT instead of the stones I have. I’m going to check Amazon.

Chris208

I plan on replacing my water stones with diamond plates as they wear out.

CharlesA

Chris, do you use the continuous or the conventional diamond extra coarse plate?

Chris208

The one I have is the continuous surface. 8” x 3”.

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

They are more cost effective than diamond when you just look at the price but when you discover the flattening stone requires flattening the diamond is the better over all buy. I like the ones with the “holes” in them not the silver ones that are solid metal. My solid metal one wore out and got plugged up with the material from the stones I flattened. Quick cutting. The ones with the “holes” don’t plug up. Sorry, I don’t know what you call each of the two diamond stones.

CharlesA

For DMT, the continuous diamond stones (Dia-Sharp) don’t have the holes. The interrupted surface (DuoSharp) has holes.

View SouthpawCA's profile

SouthpawCA

I agree with you about using glass and sandpaper. I’ve thought about getting one of these flattening stones, but also read that they do go out of flat. My glass and sandpaper method works wonderful and is very inexpensive. I use wet/dry sandpaper and usually start with 220 or higher and work up to 2000 or lower – depends on the stone.

-- Don

View JeremyPringle's profile

JeremyPringle

I used to have this flattening stone. Hated it, could not figure out why my blades were never square. This thing went out of square soooo fast and messed me up for a while until I figured it out. I new either use 1/2” glass and grit, or a 400 atoma diamond plate.

I have also switched to ceramic stones.