Self Centering Drill Bits - Installing Kreg tracks for clamping, jigs

Review by darthford posted 02-07-2014 08:24 PM 2156 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Self Centering Drill Bits - Installing Kreg tracks for clamping, jigs Self Centering Drill Bits - Installing Kreg tracks for clamping, jigs Self Centering Drill Bits - Installing Kreg tracks for clamping, jigs Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I needed to install 5 of these Kreg tracks in my new RAS table, 5×6 screws each for a total of 30 screws. The screws need to be centered and flush (not sticking up half crooked) so you can slide the clamp bolts in the track. There’s little to no room for error. I was still contemplating how to at least center punch them when I was wandering the hardware store and spied these Isomax self centering hinge drill bits, brilliant!

Do they do exactly what they advertise, yep! It made this job fast and easy and every screw was dead center!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 02-07-2014 08:48 PM

Self centering bits sure do come in handy!

I bought the three piece set by Snappy from Woodcraft, which are the same style and they work very well.

I wish I had looked on Amazon first though, as they have other brands for half of what I paid, and I think they’re all pretty much the same.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Jeff_in_KCMO's profile

Jeff_in_KCMO

#2 posted 02-07-2014 09:01 PM

wow, it’s been awhile since i have seen a radial arm saw like that.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 02-07-2014 09:33 PM

Self centering bits are great as long as they’re the good ones. I first tried General (just because I saw it first) and was not impressed. I now use VixBits ( http://vixbitsonline.com/ ) and have had the same great luck you apparently found with Isomax.

P.S. That is one stout RAS, but please tell me you have a blade guard and don’t use it as pictured.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

#4 posted 02-07-2014 10:05 PM

I got the three piece set in 1978 and they were called ViX bits then from a company called Liechtung. They are super for installing butt and piano hinges accurately.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

#5 posted 02-08-2014 12:39 AM

John – the RAS is still undergoing restoration, the blade guard which is huge is sitting my shop sink awaiting cleaning and painting.

Jeff – yep that saw was manufactured in 1952, its a big mostly cast iron beast that takes 12”-14” blades.

#6 posted 02-08-2014 12:53 AM

Sounds like it was a good purchase, congrats

Ever notice how the blade looks bigger when the guard is off

-- Norman

#7 posted 02-08-2014 01:05 AM

Norman that’s a 12” blade, here’s one next to a 10” blade. They look even bigger and scarier in person.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#8 posted 02-08-2014 03:29 AM

Do not, I repeat do not, buy ANYTHING from General. They take some great ideas of tools and fixturing and find a way to F… it up manufacturing it, to sell for the cheapest cost and price.
They need to be extinct.
They are the duplicate of B&D, with Craftsman a close second.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#9 posted 02-08-2014 10:11 PM

Bought my set of vix bits in the early 70’s, still going strong.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Jokker78's profile

Jokker78

#10 posted 02-10-2014 06:17 PM

I have some kobalt ones that look just like yours do. I love them.

-- Measure once, cut , measure again, cut and damn its still to short

View steve_in_ohio's profile

steve_in_ohio

#11 posted 02-17-2014 03:35 PM

I think I need to get a set of these, I have had this problem when I was building my router table. Will definitely be looking into these, thanks for the review

-- steve, simple and effective woodworking---