Carter Rikon 14" Deluxe Micro Adjust Guide Conversion Kit

Review by Jeff_in_LSMO posted 02-07-2014 04:35 PM 2541 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Carter Rikon 14" Deluxe Micro Adjust Guide Conversion Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been living with my Rikon 14” Deluxe bandsaw since I purchased it about a year ago. I’ve resawn a handful of lumber, cut out some cabriole legs, made jigs… a fairly rounded work history. It’s been okay, but I felt like the blade never really tracked properly even after a lengthy and tedious tuneup.

Then, I decided to make the plunge and purchase a set of Carter Micro Adjust guide bearings… POW! I just won at life. Yes they are expensive, and, yes, they saved my saw. Overall installation was about an hour, including fine tuning the alignment. Contrary to other reviews, I did not have to remove the table to install the bottom bearing.

The difference is night and day. Suddenly the cuts are straight, and clean. Very clean. Adjustment is a breeze compared to the factory bearings. I haven’t tried resawing anything yet, but the cuts I have made are finally what I expect out of a bandsaw.

I’ll have to update this when I have some more time on the guides, but in the meantime, I couldn’t be happier with this purchase.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#1 posted 02-07-2014 10:52 PM

I have been thinking that in the future to switch to these guides. Good to have someone who has them give their approval. Thanks.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

#2 posted 02-15-2014 05:22 AM

I’ve got an older set of carter guides on an older import 18” bandsaw.

I’ve had them long enough that I had to replace the bearings. They are great guides. I use that saw with a lot of resawing.. Cut a lot of toy parts for our toymaking out of Mahogany and Sapele.

I’ve got a Laguna Driftmaster Resaw fence and it’s great also

View JudsonTN's profile

JudsonTN

#3 posted 02-23-2014 04:28 AM

Thanks for the review. I have a Rikon 14” as well. I still have the stock bearings and sometimes it does well and then right in the middle of a nice resaw job, I start to get wandering of the blade. Can you give a little more detail to what it was like before on your saw and what these fixed for you? Thanks

-- “The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” Teddy Roosevelt

View pipeline's profile

pipeline

#4 posted 03-02-2014 08:43 PM

ive had my rikon for 3-yrs and resawing anything over 6” high is a nightmare Ive tuned and tuned ,Ive adjusted wheels Ive tried numerous blades (widths, rakes, and sizes) still on larger pieces the drift is uncontrollable. Ive noticed the guides are slightly out of level (bad drilling and tapping) I have been considering the carter guides though would hate to drop $200 on them if it wont help. Was wondering if you had similar problems with your saw

#5 posted 03-03-2014 03:08 PM

My OE guides did set at a slight angle that I could not correct. I was able to set up the Carters where I would expect them to be quite easily.

JudsonTN; before the bearings the blade would drift fairly severely for the first inch or two before following the fence. I would end up with having to basically scrap the first couple inches of every board. Pretty much anything over an inch or two in thickness did this. Also, tracking was a nightmare on any thicker stock, especially if there were knots. The blade would want to follow the grain, and would get waaaay out parallel. I understand that this is expected to some degree, and may have been partially made worse by my feed rate, but I didn’t expect it to drift that much. The wood I was resawing when I was having all the problems was apple, which has it’s issues to begin with, but I expected better… continued

#6 posted 03-03-2014 03:11 PM

I’m more of the proponent of the idea that a properly aligned saw and tensioned sharp blade should track parallel to the fence, as opposed to guiding the board along then entire length of the cut by hand. This is what I want to achieve. I still have not had an opportunity to resaw anything major (>6”), but the stuff I have () resawn has come out very nice. No drift… continued

#7 posted 03-03-2014 03:12 PM

I will say that I expect a decent amount of drift still if I were to try resawing the thick apple wood again. My problem there probably has more to do with the size and stiffness of the saw as opposed to the guides. Basically, I got the Carters because I was frustrated with the process of aligning the OE bearings, which were very finicky and sloppy in my opinion considering the price of the saw, and I didn’t feel like they did the best job of really supporting a wider blade. The Carters have addressed both of these concerns very adequately.

#8 posted 03-03-2014 03:41 PM

Here’s a blog that I posted of my Laguna resaw fence and I had also put carter blade guides on it. I’m happy with my setup.

View JudsonTN's profile

JudsonTN

#9 posted 03-04-2014 03:02 PM

Jeff,
Thank you so much for the detail. What you describe has been similar to what I have been running into. Thanks for the review.