Absolutely the Most Useful, Inexpensive Marking Tool...

Review by DeLayne Peck posted 02-06-2014 04:37 PM 2227 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Absolutely the Most Useful, Inexpensive Marking Tool... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

What is it? Ordinary old sticks of school chalk. I use it constantly all over my shop and on project-after-project. Chalk cuts down the chaos, bungling, confusion, memory lapses, searching, waste and mistakes that haunt every shop. My shop for sure.

Here are some of my routine uses: Noting the arrival dates of lumber for drying and acclimation. Planning and marking the intended use of and dimensions of new lumber. Laying out initial cuts and dimensions on sheet goods. Noting dimensions. Doing math and making notes right on my bench top. Noting the species and dimensions of valuable scrap and cut offs. Marking mated edges. Noting grain and feed direction. Locating and circling flaws. Finding the low spots on planed or jointed surfaces. Marking the “the rub.” Marking jointed edges. Labeling templates, reference pieces, and story sticks. Identifying completed parts for assembly. Making the best side, left, right, front, back, top, bottom indications. Marking up the assembly order.

Greatest strength: Rubs off easily. Weakness: Rubs off easily.

Also pictured: A handy chalk holder commonly used by teachers to prevent breakage.

Have other uses? Please chalk them up in the comments.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#1 posted 02-06-2014 04:42 PM

All I could find when I remembered to look for chalk was multi-colored sidewalk chalk. But I use it. I like it when I’m flattening a board by hand to identify the high areas.

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#2 posted 02-06-2014 07:38 PM

I use three to four boxes of that same brand each month. To add to the uses you mentioned, I use it to mark a face before I run it through the double drum sander to make sure there aren’t any low spots left, I mark three to four diagonal lines across an edge before going through the jointer to make sure it has been jointed all the way across, calculating yields and all sorts of math. Good stuff and invaluable here!

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5086 posts in 1962 days

#3 posted 02-06-2014 07:41 PM

I have been using white blackboard chalk for many many years. I keep pieces all around my shop…near the saws, planer, sander, workbench and places I probably forgot that I put some there. You can still get it at Office Depot.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#4 posted 02-07-2014 01:46 AM

Yep, I use chalk in the shop for all kinds of things. I also use it to date and ID all the wood I saw on the mill. My granddaughter is constantly saying: “Papadoc, did you take my chalk AGAIN!”

She has that chalk that comes in big, fat sticks that don’t break as easily as the thin white sticks (is this ‘sidewalk chalk’?). I never knew where to buy it so I just grab hers.

I’ve also ‘borrowed’ a couple of her pencils with the fat, soft lead. They are great for marking things to be bandsawed as the mark is much easier to see/follow.

Grandkids are great!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Halc's profile

Halc

#5 posted 02-07-2014 02:34 AM

I also had trouble finding white chalk in stores. The colored chalk seemed harder to remove than I thought it should be. I didn’t think of looking for it at Home Depot, but I found it at Amazon.com.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#6 posted 02-07-2014 03:07 AM

Pretty sure mine comes from Toys R Us!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#7 posted 02-07-2014 04:14 AM

Using chalk is a good tip for beginning woodworkers.

Office and school supply stores are the surest source of blackboard chalk. Chalk holders are available online, 2 to 7 bucks. Not essential, but they stop breakage. Buy one that won’t roll.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3761 posts in 2021 days

#8 posted 02-07-2014 05:47 AM

Chalk one up for common sense!
You are in the class of David Marks as he uses that all the time!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Roger's profile

#9 posted 02-07-2014 01:44 PM

Ditto oldnovice

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

#10 posted 02-08-2014 03:06 PM

I was surprise when a LJs search returned no mention of the usefulness of chalk as a marking tool. My review is aimed at beginning woodworker. I regret that I spent most of 40 years without chalk in shop.

Mark +1 for Hans, thanks for mentioning David J. Marks, his incredible work can be found here.

View DMC1903's profile

DMC1903

#11 posted 02-08-2014 04:05 PM

Thanks for the great tip, I use chalk all the time for marking rough stock.
The only problem I have with it, is my cousin Daryl and his brother Darly enjoy eating chalk…. it disappears at a rapid pace.

#12 posted 02-09-2014 05:28 AM

DMC, I failed to mention chalk is low cal, low fat, and low salt. Produces dazzling white teeth. And! As a regular part of you diet, there is no need for bowl cleaner.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3761 posts in 2021 days

#13 posted 02-09-2014 07:26 AM

Yes, chalk is almost as good as regular TUMS!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

#14 posted 02-09-2014 08:23 AM

Funny. There is always a Physic(al) person in the crowd…...

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”