Now anyone can do professional dovetails by hand

Review by DKV posted 209 days ago 3058 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Now anyone can do professional dovetails by hand No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My first attempt at using the Veritas guide. I could have filled in some of the chips with sawdust and glue but figured since I’m just practicing I’ll let it go. Here’s what I found/prefer. I like to use the guide to about 3/4 the cut, remove the guide and finish using the cut slot only. That way I can better see the line to stop at. Let the saw do the work and add no pressure. I only used sharp pencil marks, cut inside the line of the waste side and made sure the fit was tight. I pared accordingly.It took me awhile but these turned out better than previous free handing. I’ll get better and quicker each time. Bottom line, I like the guide and will use often.

Now my second attempt using the Veritas dovetail guide.

The second time I left the tails and pins a little proud and then planed them down using (of course) my Veritas bevel up smoothing plane. Also, I used my Veritas wheel marking gauge and Veritas dovetail saddle marker. I’m a Veritas kind of guy.

Anyway, I will also post my third and fourth attempts. Right now it’s looking like anyone can do professional dovetails with a little help from Veritas. I also suspect that over time I will automatically get the sawing down to natural ability and not have to use the guide. I can then use my Veritas dovetail saw. Only time will tell…

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Make sure you’re wearing your Veritas T-shirt and are drinking from a Veritas coffee mug while using your Veritas DT guide and Veritas DT saw. I go a step further and wear my Veritas bikini briefs too.
J/K- Cool tool. If I ever get patient enough to cut dovetails, I’ll have to consider getting one of these.

View Woodtodust's profile

Woodtodust

They look good to me. I’ve never seen that guide before. I’ll have to look it up. I’m a verities guy, too. Great product and if you ever need customer service they are polite and prompt. Need to get a Veritas hat but I think I’ll pass on the bikini briefs. That would be ugly.

-- Bill...Richmond Hill, GA--"83% of all statistics are made up."

View brtech's profile

brtech

I have one, and while I’m not yet proficient with it, I like it a lot. One of the very cool things about this guide is that you mark the pins and tail boards at the same time by stacking them face to face and marking the edge points just where the pin board meets the tail board. The guide then lines up with these marks. It doesn’t require that you trace the edges of the pins or tails on the boards. It’s quite fast to change the guide from pins to tails, and because you can slide the thumbscrew anywhere on the support edge, it’s easy to get it to hold on the meat of the board even when cutting the end pins/tails.

View RockyTopScott's profile

RockyTopScott

I went to the Lee Valley site to look at this. A video would be great but I could not find one.

-- “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

DKV

Rocky, Youtube has a video of their right angle guide for finger joints. Same principle… I really like the dovetail guide. My third and fourth will be tomorrow. The more I use it the easier and quicker it becomes. Kind of pricey but if you like dovetails the way I do then it is an easy sell.

View woodchuckerNJ's profile

woodchuckerNJ

You’ve reversed the size of the pins and tails.
Your tails are not well supported or strong.

Your pins can be smaller and your tails should be larger.

-- Jeff NJ

DKV

Woodchucker, thanks for the help.

View JayT's profile

JayT

Nice review DKV. I just got one of David Barron’s dovetail guides that works on the same principles and it has made a tremendous improvement in the quality of my joints.

RockyTop, with the similarities, you might watch David Barron’s video Hand Cut Dovetails Made Easy I’d think the same principles would apply for using the Veritas guide.

-- "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

View Kryptic's profile

Kryptic

Nicely done.

and a good review too….. I’m awe struck at both.

View RockyTopScott's profile

RockyTopScott

JayT. I watched the Barron video, thanks.

Even I might be able to handcut dovetails with this.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

A video would be awesome for this great dovetail guide.

I opted for the dovetail saw for my guide and like the results.

Great review DKV, I like the contrast of lumber on your pics!

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

The saw David Barron uses is great – the Gyochucho 372

There are tons of Japanese saws – and they are all just a little different. The 372 really cuts well.

David does a comparison test of the saws – including using his guide for all of them.

The saw is cheaper at Hida Tool – 58 dollars, than on Davids site+uk shipping – -David sells for 49 Pounds – which is 79 dollars.

-- "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves." Edison

112026 posts in 2213 days

Looks like a useful guide,I’m guessing your using the whole guide to make your dovetails ? Usually you just slide the guide over to have an angle on each side to the size of the dovetails you want,other than being very large dovetails it looks like a good first and second attempt. Thanks for the review

View Kryptic's profile

Kryptic

Freddy Flinstonish.

Barny Rubble

we all start somewhere ?

when cut steel strikes wood, it doesnt always go right, be it right handed or left handed pull stroke, or left and right push stroke, the said saw is owners hand, and the gift to cut and hold, takes time to master, the excuse is never in the tool, be it push or pull. Its like being a right handed golpher and left handed hockey player, its what works for you. Like telling some one what way to turn when they are driving the car ?

peculiar joinery at best, is a very big addiction enjoyed by billions

clearly, you have made progress and earned the ranks of kinder reviews

Best