Mirka Sanding Disks and Belts

Review by b2rtch posted 209 days ago 1292 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
 Mirka Sanding Disks and Belts No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last year when I remolded my kitchen, I bought on Amazon Mirka sanding disks in different grits.
I was very satisfied with them.

I used to buy all my abrasives from KLINGSPOR but the last time I checked their prices for sanding belts I had a sticker shock.
The last sanding belts that I bought for my Ridgid sander, was also on Amazon. They were 100 grit Makita sanding belts.
I noticed that they loaded very fast and I am really not happy with them.

After a good experience with their sanding disks,last week I purchased, on Amazon, Mirka sanding belts in 60 and 80 grit.

I used these belts today to sand some wooden spoons I made and also to sand some plastic material to make ZCI for my new Grizzly band saw.

I am very happy with these belts,they cut fast and they load very little.
In addition, as icing on the cake, the price of these belts is very reasonable.
I strongly recommend Mirka abrasive brand.

C_PLUS_Woodworker

I started using Mirka products a couple of years ago after reading about them here on LJs.

Love them.

I use their Abranet line of products. Really like them.

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

I can’t respond about Mirka belts, never used them.

However, their hook-and-loop sanding discs for ROS have suffered in quality. I have been using Mirka for years with nothing but praise up until last year. They seem to have lowered their quality if the backing and the discs fly off the sander after little use. I have tested them on various models of fairly new sanders and the discs fail. I have stopped using them and switched to Klingspor with great results.

I use the Abranet and love them, no problems there.

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

woodworkerscott

Hey Scott, I have never used the “pure” Mirka products, only the Abranet.

I find it interesting how the main line product of a company can be considered by some to be deficient, but that a (side) line of products…......like the Abranet products can be so very superior.

Like, I said, I stumbled onto Abranet here on LJ a few years ago. Now many of my neighbors, even for little handy-man jobs, either buy them, or most often, they “borrow” some from me. A couple of them are nice enough to order me in some from Amazon to replace what they took. Makes good neighbors.

They last forever…......their pores do not fill with sanding dust, they are easily cleaned out with an airgun from the back-side, I love the soft pads that are used under the sanding pad itself, especially when I want to just barely round off a corner or edge….I just plain love them.

BTW, they are now putting out a “Heavy Duty” line of the Abranet products.

I feared that they were going to reduce the quality on the stuff I had been using and were putting out the new “Heavy Duty” line to make up for that.

I was so interested in this new line of “Heavy Duty” products (why they added them to their product linethat I called/emailed several companies that sold the Abranet products as to what was what. Even emailed Abranet.

The answers I consistently got….....in fact always…......was that there was a commercial need for the “Heavy Duty” products, and, when I asked, they responded that both the “regular” and the new “Heavy Duty” products were just fine for woodworkers like me.

They just last longer, are a bit thicker pad, and just a tad more aggressive….........but it was the long-usable-life of the “Heavy Duty” products that was the main reason, by far, for them putting out the new “Heavy Duty” stuff.

Glad someone else likes and comments on the Abranet.

View Woodendeavor's profile

Woodendeavor

They also make a product called abralon. It is a foam backed abrasive that took my finishing to the next level. I use abralon 500 and 1000 between coats and it leaves the smoothest finish I have been able to achieve

Woodendeavor

Kinda coincidental and amusing:

But, I have those exact same two Abralon pads to do exactly what you do. They are so great for that.

Speeds up the in-between sanding without acting like real sandpaper and removing most of the previous coat of finish.

I bought them just out of curiosity when I first read about them on Amazon, and ordered a couple just to try.

Glad I did. Took a while to figure out how best to use them, but ended up exactly where you are.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

Is abralon similar to scothbrigth, I use scothbrigth

woodworkerscott, I use the same disks and I have no problem. I think the pad on your sander might worn out.

Thanks for the review. I have some of the HF belts but I can tell they won’t last long and I was looking for some quality replacements for my Ridgid sander… That is a good heads up!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

dbhost , you are welcome

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

374 posts in 2065 days

I agree with Bert on the possibility of the hook pad on the sander being worn down. I also have used the abranet and found that on my new ROS, they were fine, but on the older worn ROS, they did tend to fly off, but so did every other type/brand of sanding discs.

Scott

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View RockyTopScott's profile

RockyTopScott

I am sad to hear the quality has gone down on Mirka for the ROS.

I used some yesterday I bought more than a year ago and really liked the performance. I hope it is just temporary or a bad batch or 2.

-- “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

Come on guys, give me a little credit here. I think I know if my sanders are worn. :)

1. As I mentioned, I tried them on various models of ROS and that they were fairly new; DeWalt (brand new), Porter Cable (brand new), Milwaukee, Chicago Electric.

2. The sanding pads were/are in great shape and not worn out. If they were worn, the Klingspor discs would have flown off too. Since that is not the case and I went through several boxes of Mirka discs at various grits, I am going to have to say it is the product. I clean the sanding pads as well, so it is not a clogged pad situation.

I have talked to other woodworkers who have the same problem with Mirka, currently. Maybe it is a batch situation, who knows. Nevertheless, the sanders are great and Klingspor works without fail. I will still purchase the Abranet; such a cool product. I think the Mirka belts are still worth a try. I still like the company.

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

View lew's profile

lew

Bert-

These folks have some good prices on Mirka-

www.supergrit.com

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

I just recently found out that no matter which brand belts you purchase that they have a shelf life and can possibly come apart on you in operation just something to keep in mind when purchasing bundles.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs