Veritas Cabinet Scraper

Review by Jeff_in_KCMO posted 02-01-2014 03:30 AM 1942 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Cabinet Scraper Veritas Cabinet Scraper No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Is it weird that the whole time I was using my new Veritas Cabinet Scraper I was singing Sophie B. Hawkins’ line, “Damn, I which I was your lover,” over and over in my head? I know where it started… sorry, I was distracted by my four year old, Jane, who apparently was turned down by a boy in class today and she is really sad… back to it… it started when I took my first pass. Shhhhwit, a perfect shaving. “Damn,” the damn of amazement, not the damn of defeat, was the word that literally came out of my mouth. And that is how the next half hour went as I scraped the rest of the board (see picture).

I love this thing. I can’t believe I have lived without it for so long. It’s easy to use. Has minimal set up and maintenance. My blade came very flat out of the box. Minimal lapping was required. After a brief honing, I turned a very nice burr in very short order. And I didn’t even have to flip the blade or set a new burr during the entire scraping session.

So that is my review of the Veritas Cabinet Scraper. Two thumbs up!

And be sure to notice the shavings next to the scraper in the first picture, just in case any of you are unfamiliar with what scraper shavings should look like.

And in case you are wondering, that is a piece of poplar sandwiched in between the maple boards. The whole thing is held together with dry dowel pins and clamps. The plan is to take it apart, dye the poplar red and seal it with shellac, then glue the whole thing back together before finishing.

View Jeff_in_KCMO's profile

Jeff_in_KCMO

View Vince's profile

Vince

959 posts in 2085 days

#1 posted 02-01-2014 07:14 AM

Those shavings do look nice, I just happened to be looking for a scraper and spokeshave.

-- Vince

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#2 posted 02-01-2014 01:15 PM

I have one too, and agree entirely with your review.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View Steve's profile

Steve

#3 posted 02-02-2014 03:26 PM

I just bought one recently and I too really enjoy it.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#4 posted 02-02-2014 03:43 PM

I’ve never used one Jeff but have often thought about it. I think the time is right to seriously consider this as a hand tool finishing option. thanks for the positive feedback.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#5 posted 09-12-2014 01:03 AM

I have one of the original Stanley number 80 cabinet scrapers. You can read about the differences between it and the Leavalley version on LV’s website either is a great tool for many things from scraping old paint and finishes to Final prep for finishing. Depending on your budget you may find LV’s scraper plane and option. It is the tool I pull out when prepping tear out prone twisted grain wood.