Who Knew.... it was there all along.

Review by NaptownWood posted 201 days ago 2449 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Who Knew.... it was there all along. Who Knew.... it was there all along. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Little to no runout in a compact heavy duty vintage package.

It buffs good at high speed.

It also has been my primary wood drill press for about a year now.

:-D

NaptownWood

View Dallas's profile (online now)

Dallas

May I be the first to ask….. What the hell are you talking about?

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

NaptownWood

It is a bad-ass drill press and also a pretty good leather worker.

NaptownWood

Im not sure I know how else to say it.

112010 posts in 2202 days

Ha Ha that’s wild who else uses a drill press to buff their shoes ?

NaptownWood

Anyone who bought the HF buffing kit and has a Craftsman 150 Drill press and is able to shift it to the highest speed. Thats who.

View ThomasPittman's profile

ThomasPittman

Wonderful, well thought out review….The site needs more like this….

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4979 posts in 1933 days

I guess I could use my Beall Buffing System for the same purpose…but then again none of my shoes require polishing.

NaptownWood

I love the vibe on this site.

This is a review of a very nice wood-centric drill press, it just took a detour…

I

Drill pen centers with it. Geez.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

I have the same vintage DP, but the bench version. Took the entire thing apart, new quill bearings, Jacob chuck teeth, paint and polish. Can’t beat the old King-Seely shoe polishers. I picked up a vintage Delta bench DP for $10 at a yard sale that came with a buffing arbor with red rouge on it. Guy kept his belt buckles shiny with it.

In all seriousness
, it is a really nice drill press for the money. You can find them used for less than a hundred bucks, take it apart and oil it up. And youre good to go. I didnt need to replace the quill on this one or the bearings. I just brushed it off and spray painted it, and cleaned up and waxed the bed/table. Its a great little machine in a small footprint. Its got a good travel distance at more than 4”. Three speeds, and easy belt change. The only issue was that the motor jumps and the belt slips when you turn it on at high speed. You have to hold it when you flick the switch. Everything is tight, but it still jumps.

Frankly i cant see upgrading to a more modern machine, i dont think the jump in quality would justify the cost outlay.

I dont have a pic, but i also use it as a pen press when assembling pens.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

I have a floor model Delta from the 30s or 40s too, that was ridiculously cheap. I was buying a 40s Delta bandsaw from a guy charged with cleaning out a piece of commercial real estate. The BS was $60 and when I got there he said he had the DP too, and it would be another $40 if I wanted it. How could I go wrong? I just wish these old DPs had crank up tables, or that you could buy the crank assemblies from modern units and add them.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

I’m going to experiment to see if I can use my buffer as a drill press. :)

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

Does it do tennis shoes?

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright