Grizzly Jointer/Planer Combo w/ Spiral Cutterhead

Review by Matthew posted 160 days ago 3825 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Jointer/Planer Combo w/ Spiral Cutterhead Grizzly Jointer/Planer Combo w/ Spiral Cutterhead No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased this machine, as a replacement for my Jet 8 inch jointer planer combo machine. Here’s my thoughts so far.

Background:
As stated above, I bought this machine as an upgrade to my 8 in Jet combo machine. This came as a necessity when I began working on building a traditional style workbench, and found the long and heavy slabs to be way too big for the small machine to handle, specifically for the planer function of the machine.
I went back and forth on whether to get another combo machine, and decided, that for me, the space and cost were the critical factors in my shop. I did not factor for ease of changeover between jointer planer modes, because I was already used to using this type of machine, with my small jet taking much more time to change over, than some of the larger machines.
Cost:
While I can afford the best of the combo machines available (IMHO the Mini Max) or a powermatic jointer and powermatic planer, I did not feel that grizzly’s machine was that far below these machines where quality is concerned. The main advantage to the grizzly is the spiral cutterhead, which saved me around $1000 when comparing other options with spiral cutters. Btw I considered the minimax, felder, Laguna, jet, and grizzly combo machines.

Shipping.
The crate it came is was in poor condition, but the machine wasn’t damaged. I take issue with the fact that UPS freight only does curbside delivery, as I was left alone to figure out how to move this 700 lb machine throughout eh grass and into my shop. But otherwise, nothing major wrong with the delivery.

Setup:
The machines, calibration was almost perfect out of the box, good table alignment Nd out feed height needed no adjustment, the fence needed a little tweak to the positive stops, but that was easy to do.
Performance:
The machine is rated at 5 hp, and is VERY powerful. I also cannot say enough good things about the spiral cutterhead, I recommend the upgrade to everyone, not just those in the combo machine market, the surfaces left required minimal hand work and sanding, and the boards were flat and square. This machine can also take up to an 1/8” cut, so it makes quick work of really rough boards. As stated, I am in the process of a workbench build, and the machine handled all tests superbly.
Changeover:
I know most people count changeover as a bid drawback to the combo machines, but it really isn’t that big of a deal. As stated, coming from the 8 in Jet, which had an annoyingly long changeover, the grizzly is a breeze, the most annoying aspect is moving the dust hose, but I may go with some quick connects to fix that issue.

Final Remarks:
I am extremely happy with my purchase. In the end, the serious contenders were the Laguna, jet, and grizzly. I felt that the Laguna and grizzly were about the same, so it came down to the grizzly and jet. The things that turned me off for the jet was the weird ribbed cast iron tables and the euro style guard, which I feel is more nerve racking to use than the pork hop style (just in my opinion, as it is MY safety I’m concerned with). Also, the jet’s spiral cutterhead model was about 800$ more than the grizzly. The decision to go with the combo machine as opposed to dedicated machines was a little tougher as I could really see the benefits of a 15” planer, but for the work I do, I feel that the grizzly’s capacity is plenty. I also can not say enough about the pricing and performance of the spiral cutterhead, makes this machine completely worth it.

Feel free to comment or ask a question, I’ll answer as best I’m able.

ScottKaye

Good score.. Do you find the table length be a hinderance at all? I know on my 6” jt-360 I can only reliably joint boards that are maybe 4” long and even that is a bit of a stretch. I really like the idea of a combo machine, but Im not sure if Im willing to sacrifice the bed length a larger 8” jointer will give you.

Scott,

I have not found any issue with the table size. I believe it has 60” table length for th jointer. I’ve jointed a piece of walnut that was 9 feet long. Now, my workbench build has a 6’ long top, and is a wide, heavy slab. The machine does a good job with those heavy slabs, but I think it could be tricky to joint long (8-10’) heavy slabs with this table size.

But for regular work, I don’t see it having any problems jointing or planing longer boards.

For edge jointing, the fence is also very tall, so the boards stay stable when running them through.

ScottKaye

I stand corrected.. I just looked at Grizzly’s site and I see the g0634xp had 59 1/2” tables. Not bad for a combo machine. You could get longer on a dedicated jointer, but 60” would be plenty for most applications

ScottKaye

thats what I get for not refreshing the screen before I speak! you had already replied!

Matthew

No problem Scott, I did look into that a lot when deciding on the purchase, but I found that even the table on jointers that are advertised as “long bed jointers” only had table lengths of 72-80”, so I felt that that was not a huge difference

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

Hi Matthew – since you did your homework can you speak to the noise factor. The Felder trademarks their spiral cutterhead as silent power or something like that – the grizzly also has a spiral but not sure if is in same configuration as felder – how is the noise level when operating?

Also – did you order from Amazon? Is is Amazon that shipped through UPS?

Why did you choose Grizzly over the Jet 12 inch combo?

View darthford's profile

darthford

Tomas I have an 8” jointer and 15” planer both with Byrd Shelix cutter heads they are very quiet, here’s a link to a video with decibel readings you can hear both idling along then cutting, I don’t think they are any louder cutting or not cutting volume wise.

Sorry repeated post

Tomas,

I found that the is a HUGE difference in noise between straight knives and the spiral cutters. Also, having seriously considered all of the available combo machines I found that there was not a huge difference in noise if they had spiral cutters, but yes, they are much quieter than straight knives, but no the difference in noise between brands of spiral cutters is negligible.

I ordered direct from grizzly, who ships via UPS freight

I chose this over the jet mainly because of the table tops. I do not like the Jet’s ribbed cast iron table, as I think that it just serves to collect dust and makes waxing the tables a pain. Also, as jet markets this design as being able to reduce friction, I found that you can’t tell any difference between their table and a flat cast iron table. The jet also has slightly shorter tables, which isn’t a huge deal, but with combo machines where table size is already smaller, you need any extra length you can get. I am also not a fan of the euro style guard, don’t know why, I’m just not. It seems to me the only advantage of the jet over other machines was the changeover time, but it was not so fast that I would choose it over other machines.

I should also mention that I looked at a baleigh combo machine, and considered that, as well. For anyone in the market, I thought it was a well built machine.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

This is a dream machine for me when I can build my own shop later in life. I think combining these two machines is very smart. Thanks for the review

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

Thanks Mathew for pointing out the ribbed table features on the jet – I am glad you told me because I am not interested in that feature as well and I just may go to with the Grizzly when ready.

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

I have almost a sister to the Grizzly in the Baileigh JP 1250 and it’s also a great machine. I looked at the Grizzly and the Jet, I also didn’t like the pattern on the tables of the Jet, so it was between the Grizzly and the Baileigh. Baileigh had a great price on their 1250, when I got mine, so I saved a lot of $$$. The main difference between them is the European guard, which I like, and the fence mounts a little differently. Baileigh has gone way up in price on their machine now, so the Grizzly is cheaper and is a better deal.

-- Earl

Earl,

Thanks for the comment. I also looked at the Baleigh, but, like you said, the price was a little steep. I also looked at Baleigh’s 16” combo machine. It was very impressive, but cost quite a bit.

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

The 16 looks like a killer machine but I don’t have the room for something like that. I only paid $1780 for my JP 1250, which at the time I thought was a steal. I guess they decided it was under priced because it’s $2875 now.

-- Earl

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

There’s an outfit south of Seattle that is either a warehouse or distributor (or ?) for Powermatic and Jet. They run ads from time to time on machines that are new but may be “scratch and dent.” 2 or 3 years ago, I saw the Jet 12 inch combo machine with spiral cutterhead for $1800—around $300 less than the Grizzly, which I had been eyeing. But I hesitated, and when I finally called, it was gone. And then, to my astonishment, a few weeks later, another one showed up. This time I jumped on it. The guys who helped me load it hadn’t found any blemishes on it, but guessed it might have been a demo at a trade show.

I love the spiral cutterhead. As others have noted, it’s much quieter than straight knives. And I do appreciate the quick turnaround when switching functions. I don’t mind the grooved or striated cast iron, but I do admit I would prefer the porkchop style of guard over the Euro guard.

A few months later, another one came up on their CL ad, but for $100 more. Then I realized that one included a rolling stand. I wish I could tell everyone the name of the outfit, but they don’t include their name in their ads, just an email return and a phone no.