Grizzly Wet Grinder

Review by Matthew posted 01-31-2014 10:01 PM 2060 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Wet Grinder Grizzly Wet Grinder Grizzly Wet Grinder Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wanted to do a quick review of the grizzly 10 inch wet grinder. I got the anniversary edition about a month ago, and have been very pleased with the results.

Pros:
Grinds, hones, and polishes well
Very happy with the polishing leather wheel
Very good and repeatable results

Cons:
Jig is hard to square up, but is still useable
Cannot flatten or polish blade backs unlike the tormek.
Angle jig can be confusing at first
Could be better at catching water off wheel sides

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who doesn’t want to pay the tormek price, I think the machine is well made, and provides fast repeatable and good results.

-- Matthew, South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...

View Matthew's profile

View emrhappy's profile

emrhappy

#1 posted 03-13-2014 11:25 AM

Matthew,

Thanks for the review! I’m in the market, but like you mentioned, I don’t want to pay the tormek price… Not that I don’t want to really, just can’t afford it right now. You state that you can’t polish or flatten blade backs.. Why is that? You have the honing wheel, just like the tormek, it just looks a little smaller. It also looks like you could use the side of the wheel to flatten the back and remove burs. Do you know if the tormek jigs will work on this unit?

Thanks,
Bill

-- I cut that thing twice and it's still too short!

View Matthew's profile

#2 posted 03-13-2014 11:36 AM

Bill,

Thanks for the comments. Having used this for some time now, I stand firm in the opinion that as far as the GRINDER is concerned. Get the grizzly. This is a basic machine ( a motor and a wheel) and the construction of the tormek vs the grizzly is comparable, I am Sure of this.

That said, the tormek JIGS seem to be better than grizzlys. So I I buy more jigs, they will be tormek. As far as I know, ALL of the tormek, grizzly and jet jigs are cross compatible.

You are right in that you can polish the backs of blades on the grizzly. What I meant to say was that I haven’t been able to flatten on the grizzly because the side of the wheel does not seem to be flat ( not sure if I just got unlucky with my wheel or if this applies across the board).

Anyway, still highly pleased with this grinder.

Matthew

-- Matthew, South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...

View emrhappy's profile

emrhappy

#3 posted 03-13-2014 12:23 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I’m glad to hear that you’re still liking the unit after some shop time with it. I saw that Grizzly want’s over 200.00 for their planer/jointer jig…lol. That’s more than the whole unit!. I guess they figure if they’re going to loose your disposable blade business (if you used theirs), they’d stick it to you on the way out! I’ll bet it’s hard to beat the tormek for the jigs, so I’ll probably go that route. That’s a shame about the wheel not being true. I wonder how one would fix that… maybe mount the wheel on a worksharp 3000 and use the tormek truing jig…lol jk.

-- I cut that thing twice and it's still too short!