Tools have never been so sharp!

Review by TheDane posted 01-30-2014 11:33 PM 3433 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tools have never been so sharp! Tools have never been so sharp! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like a lot of turners, I have always been in search of a way to get my tools sharper. I have been looking at CBN wheels for quite some time, but the cost was prohibitive.

A clumsy shop accident that resulted in a chipped friable wheel on my slow-speed grinder was the push I needed to do something. Chipped or cracked wheels are dangerous and are an accident waiting to happen.

A friend mentioned an email he had received advertising a pair of wheels for $249, so I logged onto http://www.woodturnerswonders.com/#products to check it out … didn’t take long to decide to place my order.

Wow! After I got them installed on my grinder, I sharpened up a couple of gouges and did some test cuts. I have never been able to get my tools so sharp!

The 80 grit wheel is for shaping your tools, while the 180 grit wheel puts a truly sharp edge on your tool. These wheels have a 1/4 inch radius on each side of the wheel.

These wheels are 1 1/2” inches wide, so the guards of your grinder will likely have to be removed. They are machined from one solid piece of steel and as long as they are properly used this should not cause any problems.

One of the first things I noticed was the complete lack of any vibration on the grinder. Try as I may, I was never able to get the old friable wheels completely balanced so I always had some vibration which was telegraphed to the tool. These CBN wheels are so well-balanced there is no vibration which leads to a cleaner, sharper edge.

A quick tip … on grinders with induction-type motors, give the wheels a quick spin to get them moving before you hit the power switch. The motor will come up to speed a little faster and may add to the life of the start capacitor.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#1 posted 01-31-2014 01:06 AM

Gerry, nice review…Thx for adding the link…I have been looking at these but want to add some quality turning tools first…At that price you can’t go wrong…Do you know if all cbn wheels are the same because I was looking at D-Way cbn wheels?...thx for sharing…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#2 posted 01-31-2014 01:50 AM

Jeff—Can’t help you there … Eddie Castelin has the D-Way wheels and AFAIK is very happy with them.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#3 posted 01-31-2014 02:02 AM

Thx Gerry…D-Way wheels are more expensive,roughly $30.00 more…I peeked at your project list and your lathe/sharpening projects are very nicely set-up…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#4 posted 01-31-2014 02:09 AM

Gerry, you do not explain what they are.
Are diamond wheels?

#5 posted 01-31-2014 02:11 AM

Thanks, Jeff … I love turning!

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

#6 posted 01-31-2014 03:01 AM

CBN is cubic Boron Nitride

#7 posted 01-31-2014 04:17 AM

Bert—Oops … Arminius beat me to it. CBN is one of the hardest materials available, second only to diamonds. These wheels run cool … almost no spark, and the tool barely heats up when shaping. Once you have the bevel and profile you want and an initial sharpening, it takes one quick pass on the 180-grit wheel to put a good sharp edge on.

I’m no metallurgist but I am told CBN is better for sharpening HSS tools than diamond wheels. Diamond is harder than CBN, but over time, I am told diamond doesn’t perform as well for sharpening HSS.

#8 posted 01-31-2014 10:25 AM

Thank you Gerry and Arminius (may I ask who give you this name?)
I love theology and certainly Arminius is a very famous name in theology.
Have a blessed day.

#9 posted 01-31-2014 11:13 AM

Cubic Boron Nitride Superabrasives

Cubic Boron Nitride (cBN) is second in hardness only to diamond.

cBN exhibits a high abrasion resistance and thermal conductivity when compared to conventional abrasives such as Silicon Carbide and Aluminum Oxide.

The thermal integrity of cBN and its ability to maintain sharp cutting edges when machining ferrous materials make it the product of choice in advanced grinding systems.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#10 posted 01-31-2014 12:19 PM

Gerry nice review!

-- Bill

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#11 posted 02-05-2014 08:58 PM

Gerry, I have the same woodcraft grinder that you have here. How does yours run? Mine has a vibration all the way through it’s rpm range. I have to clamp it down or it’ll be on the floor. It’s not the wheels, I’ve trued them using oneway’s truing tool, and it ran it with no wheels on it and it still vibrates badly. I was just wondering how good yours was.

Wayne

#12 posted 02-05-2014 09:08 PM

Wayne, you should probably return your grinder

#13 posted 02-05-2014 09:14 PM

Wayne—Mine runs fine now.

Before I switched out the wheels, vibration was terrible … the thing would darn near walk right off the cabinet it sits on, even with a rubber mat under it.

I was thinking about buying the OneWay balancing rig and a new set of better quality friable wheels when I found out about Ken Rizza’s deal on CBN wheels.

We have one of these grinders in the facility where our turning club meets, and it has serious enough vibration issues that the shop manager bolted it to the rolling stand it sits on.

There must be a reason WoodCraft quit selling these.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#14 posted 02-05-2014 11:14 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I would return it but I bought it second had a few months ago, no receipt. I was looking at the Rikon that they replaced it with, I dunno. I don’t really want to spend $300+ for a grinder that works well.

Wayne

View restored's profile

restored

#15 posted 03-22-2014 07:51 PM

Always looking for new tools, I think one of the biggest parts of safety is sharp tools. They look great, I really like the lighting. I think the having the proper tool holders for a wheel sharpening system is a must. I just invested in a Tool Sharp and I love it. My tools stay sharp. There is a learning curve to the upside down sharpening method is a challenge but it works. The speed is right and if any the burning is minimal.

-- KRT