Great for general construction!

Review by smitdog posted 211 days ago 1552 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great for general construction! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up this blade about 4 months ago while in the middle of a remodeling project. I have the el cheapo 12” sliding miter saw from HF and I still had the original blade on it that came with the saw, which is absolute junk. I had not really cut much on it and it was so dull that it was burning through things more than it was cutting! I could get it through a modern 2×4 with some effort but it was getting ridiculously dangerous to cut anything on it. The wall we were cutting was mostly made up of 100 yr old pine that might as well have been petrified wood! Had to pre-drill holes to get screws or nails to go in without breaking, this stuff was HARD! Needless to say, the dull blade would barely scar the surface of this stuff.

Well, on went the new Marples 40T blade I picked up at the local Lowes for under $40 (I figured the 40T would be better for this kind of rough work plus it was the cheapest). This blade sliced through that old pine like a hot knife through butter! Literally almost no extra pressure required to bring the blade down through 2.5”x4” (actual dimension) of extremely hard old pine. The saw now cuts better than it did when it was brand new, I actually enjoy using my miter saw once again. I have not used this blade for anything other than construction grade materials, no hardwood unless you consider the rock hard pine as hardwood :) I had even hit a couple of nails in the old stuff and the saw never slowed down, actually sliced the nail clean down it’s length for about 1.5 inches. I was worried that it may have chipped or broken off a tooth, but I couldn’t see anything by eye and it still cuts like a dream.

—————

PROS:

Inexpensive! – $38 bucks right now online at Lowes

Easy cuts – Cuts through everything lightning fast with no effort. Made my cheap HF miter saw a joy to use

Large carbide – can definitely be resharpened a few times

Cuts everything – I have sliced up 4×6 treated posts, 2×12 treated pine, 3/4 ply, and the infamous 2 1/2×4 ancient pine in the remodel. All “like budda”.

—————-

CONS:

Tearout – This was expected with a 40T blade, it’s for general construction and not really intended for trim work or fine carpentry so I’m not marking off for it.

—————-

Overall I couldn’t be happier with this blade. I had heard good things about the 10 inch blades for table saw use and I thought I’d give the 12 incher a shot and I’m sure glad I did. I like it so much I’m going to buy the 80 or 96 tooth version for fine work and a 10 inch for the TS as soon as funds allow.

I use the 50T combination, which is also a good blade

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

For the same price you can get the 50 tooth which cuts soooo much cleaner

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

I have the higher count 12” blade, and it cut so much better than the stock dewalt blade on my saw, a lot less tearout and less noise. I agree that it is a steal of a deal. I ended up getting the 50T 10” blade for my table saw, but it has not given me the same performance as the Delta blade I had on it (which needs a resharpening).

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

smitdog

I did not see a 50 tooth option in the 12”, are you thinking 10” 50T by chance or is there a 12” version? The 40T worked fine for 2×4s though so I’m happy. I am planning on getting the 50 tooth combo 10” for my table saw though.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

I have the 10 inch 50T on my table saw. Works great, crosscut or rip.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

I agree with everything said; these blades are the best value I’ve found. My 50T combo blade never comes off the table saw when I’m working with most things. I’ll swap it for a cheap 40T blade if I’m working with questionable stuff though, just so I don’t risk losing the glass smooth cuts from the Marples. Next blade purchase will probably be a 24T Marples for long rips.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

Picklehead

I have the 80 tooth Hi-ATB. Very nice performance for $53.

smitdog

Picklehead – I’m pretty sure that’s the one I’ll get for precision work, how is it with tearout? I’ll make a zci insert for the base and I use a backer fence for the really picky stuff so I’m thinking the 80 tooth will work just as well as a higher tooth count blade.

Picklehead

It’s very good with tearout. With a zci and backer fence you should have no issues. It does have a positive hook angle, pretty low, 10 degrees I think. I know you want negative hook angle for a miter saw, but at least it’s not too aggressive. The high angle of the top bevels helps a lot, and it’s really sharp, like “accidentally poke a hole in your finger while handling it” sharp. (Just noticed you’re talking about 12 inch blades, mine is 10 inch)

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

Looks like the Irwin Marples line is positioned as a decent competitor to Freud’s Diablo blades…

Does the blue stuff on the blade transfer to the piece being cut? My diablo blades sometimes do that and it annoys me to no end…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Picklehead

No blue paint transfer here. I should mention that the carbide tips on these seem extra wide/thick/beefy, which keeps your wood away from the paint (until you resharpen the blade enough to “disappear” all that carbide). They tout the extra carbide in the product info, and it would appear to be true.

smitdog

I haven’t noticed any blue on the wood either but I can’t say that I’ve paid that much attention either with only cutting 2×4s. I’ll keep my eye out next time I use it.