Grizzly G1033X Workhorse

Review by BoardSMITH posted 01-30-2014 03:30 PM 3358 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G1033X Workhorse Grizzly G1033X Workhorse No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since my wife says I am very hard to buy a Christmas present for, I normally act excited and appreciative when I open a Christmas gift, even if it is something I already have or is the wrong size or color. SO I normally buy my own so I get what I can really use.

I had a G0453Z that I purchased three years ago. It worked well and with the increased volume here in the shop I decided it was time to upgrade to a larger planer with added features and more power. (Sounds like Tim Allen doesn’t it?)

The planer arrived before Christmas, well packed and heavy as lead. At 900+ pounds it is no lightweight. With the aid of another shop I had it lifted by a forklift and set down on the mobile base I purchased with it. Set up was easy, little to no packing cosmoline except on the platen and feed tables. This was removed quickly. The instruction manual was easy to understand and the assembly required no real time.

What I like: The spiral head is different from the G0453Z, more of a staggered pattern with the inserts, looks more like a Byrd Shelix head but it isn’t according to Grizzly Tech service. And with no cosmoline on the head it was a breeze to get working. The 20” will allow for heavier work and wider pieces when needed. The chip chute is larger at 5” but I wish they would go ahead and install a 6” instead. No big deal, I had the adaptor already so it fit like a glove. The motor is more powerful which makes the planning session go smoother and quicker. The faster cutter head speed leaves a much smoother finish. The four columns are covered with a shroud which will keep dust out.

What I don’t like: The feed rollers do not have permanently lubricated bearings and require periodic oiling. This also means the oil will leak to the base and will cause a small mess. No big thing either, but it should have permanently lubricated bearings to prolong to life for those who might forget to get the oil can out. A small point is the feed rate. I was accustomed to a faster feed rate with the other planer and this one only goes up to 20 fpm and down to 16 fpm. I suppose the slower feed rate is due to maybe having wider stock go through it. The motor is enclosed in the base with only one opening which might be a problem if the motor needs service/replacement or the magnetic switch needs to have the amp setting changed. I would like to see the base with openings on both front and back. The noise when planning is a little louder but not unacceptable.

The fit and finish is acceptable.

So I give the planer a 5 star rating based on one months use, how it compares to the older G0453Z I had.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

View bushmaster's profile

bushmaster

#1 posted 01-30-2014 04:35 PM

I guess I have the older 20 inch planer sold under a different sticker price but as far as I am concerned it is the best planer ever build for the price. One test of a planer, put the board in and it comes out the other side with no pushing and pulling. I have used the expensive planers at the school shop and its all push and shove. There may be great planers out there but the only planer I would consider buying is this one even though it is off shore. I can only imagine what the updated one with the spiral cutterhead must be like. I have mine raised up on a rollerbase and no bending over. I love it

-- Brian - Hazelton, British Columbia

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#2 posted 01-30-2014 05:17 PM

Okay, now I’m jealous. My Dewalt lunch box planer is okay, but I can see where I need more power as my skill sincrease.

-- Mike

View Richard's profile

Richard

#3 posted 01-30-2014 07:45 PM

Mike , I want the bigger more powerful one and my skills haven’t even increased . :)

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

1127 posts in 1996 days

#4 posted 01-30-2014 08:07 PM

Wow, at 900+lbs I need to get on the grizzly site and look at that mobile base.
Thanks for the review. I can’t imagine needing something that big but if the need ever arises, I know this is one to look at.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#5 posted 01-31-2014 01:26 PM

Nice review…your right, the head does resemble a Byrd/Shellix..20” is nice to have.. 7” doesn’t sound like much but that is a nice uptick from a 13” lunch box.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#6 posted 01-31-2014 03:31 PM

The G0453Z wasn’t a lunch box type of planer. It was a full sized planer and the old lunch box I had was dumped 6 or more years ago when I discovered it was only good for occasional use and wasn’t up to heavy use.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com