Outstanding.

Review by pashley posted 06-20-2008 01:35 PM 3190 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Outstanding. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was smitten with this little baby the first minute using it. I have gone thru three finish sanders; a cheapy from Harbor Freight, a Porter Cable, and most recently, a Craftsman, after only about a year.

My wife said, “Why don’t you buy the best one, since you do so much sanding?” – which made sense. So, I did some research, including a recent FWW article, and decided on this Bosch. I paid about $70 at Lowe’s.

As I said, right after starting ‘er up, I was smitten. Vibration is very low; sawdust, just with the on-board filter, is next to zero. The random oscillation of the pad is so fine, you can get right up close to a right-angle (for instance, sanding a rabbet), and it won’t hit the wood on the side and bounce wildly off – you can almost use it as a detail sander! It’s also pretty quiet. Stock removal is very good.

It uses 5” 8 hole sanding discs.

Do I dare say sanding is actually a pleasure now?

-- Have a blessed day! http://newmissionworkshop.com

View pashley's profile

pashley

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 06-20-2008 01:45 PM

sounds cool! i have a b&D. it works alright but from your description the Bosch outperforms it in every category! thanks for the review

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#2 posted 06-20-2008 03:04 PM

Nice. Is it possible to hook it up to a vacume in place of the filter?

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#3 posted 06-20-2008 03:23 PM

I agree. It is a nice ROS. Wayne I hook mine up to my vac via an extra adapter(around $10). The back of the sander is a rectangle. Performs much better with the vac.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View pashley's profile

pashley

#4 posted 06-20-2008 06:03 PM

Yes, you can hook up a vacuum, per the previous comment. I should try it.

-- Have a blessed day! http://newmissionworkshop.com

#5 posted 06-20-2008 08:16 PM

This is a nice review. Thanks for the info on the sander.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#6 posted 12-17-2008 07:18 AM

I am looking at getting the same ROS!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View perpetual_novice's profile

perpetual_novice

#7 posted 01-12-2009 10:57 PM

I bought one these this weekend. I LOVE it. After my first run, I was shone a bright industrial light from one side and tried as hard as I could to find scratch marks from a 220 grit and I couldn’t find one. Just amazing.
The dust collection stunned me, seriously, NO DUST, the only way I could find dust was to run my hand over the piece. That was without a vacuum attached. I am of course a novice, but I feel as though I finally got a tool that completely exceeded my expectations. More exciting than my grizzly table saw or my incra wonder fence. I guess that makes me a simple man, but my finishes on those pieces of cherry are looking sweet.

Still can’t align my tablesaw blade and and wonderfence:(

View builtinabarn's profile

builtinabarn

#8 posted 05-12-2009 01:41 PM

I just purchased this sander also. By Far, one of the best palm sanders I have ever had. I agree with “pashley” on this review…...incredible sander.

-- Built in a Barn Bob

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#9 posted 05-12-2009 05:44 PM

Good reveiw I’m tempted but I already have 6 roa s

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#10 posted 06-22-2009 04:04 PM

Has anyone used the Bosch 2605510132 adapter on this sander and if so please post your comments. I’ve added links for 3 different sander adapters, comments on any or all?

PS – The other adapters are shown in/on the above link.
Thanks,
John

-- Only the Shadow knows....................