Super Dust Deputy cfm loss

Review by secretgarden posted 01-29-2014 11:40 PM 3204 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Super Dust Deputy cfm loss No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a Jet 1200, a 2 hp with a 12 inch impeller attached to a Super Dust Deputy (SDD) sitting on top of a 55 metal drum. I used a Alnor anemometer Model RVA+ to measure the velocity and calculated the cfm at different duct set ups and found no meaningful loss of cfm.

Measurements as follows;

1. Measured at the 6 inch intake with a cheap metal 90 degree elbow (after removing the two 4 ” port) measured velocity at 5700 fpm/cfm 1114

2. same as above but with 3 cheap 6 ” metal Home Depot 90 degree elbows and 4 ft of 6 ” snap together pipe, 5004 fpm/1001 cfm

3. same as #2 but through a metal Super Dust Deputy with 5 ft of 5” metal pipe as the intake, 5852 fpm/1170 cfm

4. Same DC with cheap 90 degree elbow attached to 6 ’ flex 8 ft long, 4844 fpm/969 cfm

5. Same as #4 thru SDD and 5 ft of 5 inch metal pipe as the intake, 5447 fpm/1089 cfm

Comparing #1 to #3 shows no significant loss through the SDD and additionally comparing the data from #2 and #4 shows the difference between the flex and metal ducting effects on the cfm to be minor, 1001 cfm to 969 cfm.

Therefore I believe that the Oneida SDD does not significantly impede the CFM in a 2hp DC using either flex or metal ducting.

View secretgarden's profile

secretgarden

View MJCD's profile

#1 posted 01-29-2014 11:56 PM

I used the SDD for several years, and found it to work great – it saved me a lot of money (no need to buy a full cyclone) – recently my shop expanded considerably, and I purchased a Clearvue. Short of needing a very powerful (5hp) cyclone, the SDD is a great investment.

-- Lead By Example; Make a Difference

View secretgarden's profile

secretgarden

#2 posted 01-30-2014 01:18 AM

I am in transition on a path to the clearview next year. I am considering the 16 inch impeller model and venting outside under my large deck. How did you make your choice between models, same horse power and a larger duct is the main difference that I can tell plus the extra $300.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#3 posted 01-30-2014 01:18 AM

I have had a Super Dust Deputy hooked up to my little Jet dust collector for almost a year now …

Still haven’t had to empty the plastic bag on the Jet … I’m happy as clam with the SDD.

#4 posted 01-30-2014 02:52 AM

I am looking at a HF DC (on sale for $149 at the moment) with a SDD attached

-- Norman

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#5 posted 01-30-2014 02:26 PM

A cyclone adds about 1-2” static pressure to a system which isn’t much…

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View MJCD's profile

#6 posted 01-30-2014 02:50 PM

secretgarden:

My shop expanded beyond the capability of my 1.5hp Delta single stage, with the SDD pre-impeller: a great setup, and I sold it on Craigslist for nearly what I paid for it – after about 3 years of use.

My choice came down to Oneida and Clearvue. I was very impressed with the SDD, and have the DD hooked to my shop vac (effective solutions). I went into the selection process with Oneida as the favorite, and Clearvue as the ‘user’s choice’ – Marc Spagnuolo (WoodWhisperer) and other YouTube jocks seemed to prefer the Clearvue (they sponsor part of Marc). I spoke with Marc, and his feedback was that Oneida’s had some Customer Service lapses – feedback he’s received from others.

Both Oneida and Clearvue had Christmas Specials – the comparable was $2,000 (Oneida) and $1,785 (Clearvue). Oneida was firm on their pricing; whereas Clearvue threw-in the 16” impeller upgrade, Wynn Nanos, plus free shipping – a combination I could not beat.

Certainly, the Clearvue requires assembly – and it’s not so much difficult as it is tedious and cumbersome – no special skills, but two people are necessary, unless you get creative on holding bulky things while trying to screw them: allow at least two days for assembly: I did it by myself. If you go Clearvue, purchase the Aluminum Hanger Bracket – this, and the Filter Clean Out Box (for attached filters) are easily self-constructed (which I did), but time consuming. The Assembly Manual is bare bones and partially misleading (I re-wrote the manual, and sent them a copy – I didn’t have access to any of their photos, and I did not put a ‘finished-edge’ on the wording and cross-referencing).

In retrospect, the Clearvue is probably the better value (IMO), though, a comparable Oneida is what I’d buy. Get the 16” Impeller – regardless of which unit you go with. Venting outside will reduce the sound level, as most of the sound derives from the transition into the filters – the motor sound isn’t that high.

If you want to compare notes – or need a sounding board for assembly grief and aggravation, contact me through the LJ e-mail.

-- Lead By Example; Make a Difference

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#7 posted 01-31-2014 02:41 PM

nice to see an objective review based on facts.

Thanks for going to the time and expense to put it all together for us.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

#8 posted 04-24-2014 08:51 PM

MJCD. Let me guess the part where the ClearVue manual explains how to put the nut on that holds the fan in place with the key was misleading. In my version is was completely backwards from how it actually had to be done. I thought the ClearVue manuals were pretty bad. I also got a good deal on my ClearVue and that is why I bought it. After having it for a year now I would have to say that I also would probably by the comparable Oneida. The need to buy a $250 electrical box is also a gouging you. I bout the parts for that for $40 and did it myself in about 1 hours. I am not an electrician so somebody explain $250 for something that should come with the system anyway. I have had problems with leaks in the ClearVue where the cyclone attaches to the impeller housing. If I go ahead and put silicone in there I will never be able to take the thing apart without probably destroying the fan assembly area. Painted MDF and having to drill our your own holes when putting it together is pretty ridiculous when you think of the price. It does suck like crazy though and overall it does it’s job but I think ClearVue needs to wakeup if they want to stay in the hunt. The mystical status of Bill Pentz design will slowly lose its luster and if they don’t evolve in their products they might have a tough time over the long haul.

I will now duck down and bury my head as I get pummeled.

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?