Laguna LT16 HD review-from unpack to.....

Review by Hartworks posted 164 days ago 2466 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna LT16 HD review-from unpack to..... Laguna LT16 HD review-from unpack to..... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am new to Lumberjocks and wanted to share information regarding this bandsaw because I found only a few posts on the model when I was doing my research and decision making.

May I start with John Carrasco at Laguna Tools. I contacted him regarding a demo model and was going to initially purchase a LT16 3000 series. Then I did some looking around and thought I was going to change to the LT14SUV. You see the LT14SUV has resaw capacity of 14” and a 3HP motor, the LT16 3000 series has a resaw of 12” and a 3HP motor but a deeper throat capacity. My goal was to get as much resaw as possible for veneer work. No matter the change or the numerous questions I had, he was very prompt in responding and patient with me during my decision making. And what I thought was very decent is he did not try to push a higher dollar model, he explained the differences and left the decisions up to me. Very solid person and I will definitely deal with him for future purchases.

Now on to my purchase, I decided to pull the trigger on the Italian made 16HD which has a 4.5HP motor and a 16 3/8 resaw. No shortage of power there. I called John on a Tuesday and the unit was in my garage on Friday. Granted I live in California and Laguna Tools is also Ca. but in my opinion they handled the purchase great and got it shipped out immediately.

Upon arrival I inspected the packaging, no damage, and in unpacking things were held in place well and no evidence of any damage to any parts or the saw itself. Packed well, no issues.

With no assistance I was able to walk the saw off the pallet and get it onto the mobile base (Laguna) which works quite well, not much to it but it works good.

Now I had heard complaints of the instruction manual on these machines. Sure it applies to several models, but the manual had plenty of information, pics, etc…to get the saw assembled without any problems. Prior to reading the manual I watched the Youtube video by Laguna Tools on this saws set up and it went without a hitch. I did need help with the motor mounting, but aside from that I got it together solo.

I got the table mounted and let me tell you I am impressed. Moves easily, excellent finish and according to my Veritas straight edge the table is good and flat.

The unit does not come with a power cord so I headed to Lowes and picked up 10/3 power cord, got it wired up, which is nothing more than attaching three wires. I spent more time waiting at Lowes to get the power cord cut than wiring up the machine.

Blade installation of the 1 1/4 resaw king went well, very easy to get adjusted and get the blade guides dialed in. I did have to make some adjustment to the tracking but very simple and easy to get the blade tracking properly. The tension gauge is a very nice feature and adds to the simplicity of set up.

The only issue with the whole process was that my shipment was short two blades I ordered. I contacted John on Monday, he told me they would be shipped out that day. Awesome customer service.

I have not worked with the machine a whole lot so far, the small amount that I have I am impressed. No vibration, no problems with power, easy to make adjustments with the fence and set for drift. I will update additionally when I have really put it through the paces, which will be very soon. There are a few posts complaining about the dust collection, there is some validity to that, it could be better but not a deal breaker.

I know this is a pricey machine, but my decision was based on one theory, buy quality and buy it once. I understand that price does not equal quality, but in this instance I can say I believe I got what I payed for. Now I may have some change of heart over time with use / quirks of the machine, but so far I am very happy with each aspect of this purchase.

I will toss in some quality pics as soon as I get a chance and some of the results using the saw.

-- Gary, California

View Hartworks's profile

Hartworks

Happy new saw!
I got a Grizzly a short while ago.

View dean2336's profile

dean2336

man what a saw.that should do everything that a person can think of. happy,happy,happy

-- dean2336,nebr.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

Congrats on the new saw! That is an heirloom quality tool.

I recently ordered the new 14/Twelve bandsaw. It hasn’t arrived yet but I can wait until it does!

111999 posts in 2163 days

Enjoy!

View rustfever's profile

rustfever

My experience with laguna 16 was almost exactly as was yours. I, too, am very impressed with every portion of my Laguna experience.
Additionally, I have had several opportunity’s to speak with the owner, [Herschel??]. I was very impressed with the way he handled my questions and concerns. I will be a returning customer.
Ira