BORK installation and review

Review by Luke posted 01-29-2014 04:52 AM 2799 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
BORK installation and review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am not very good at filming yet. I realize I messed up with the angle of the camera – This was filmed using my wife’s iPhone 5s (way better camera than my iphone5). I realize I need to learn how to film correctly, plan my dialogue, not ramble, buy a new, actual filming camera and so forth. I didn’t see a review or even a video at all of this newer updated BORK riving knife system and I really think it is a good system, you just can’t be a dummy about the installation. BOLT ON RIVING KNIFE (BORK) makes you think that you just buy it and bolt it on. I knew that wouldn’t be the case and if you are looking for something like this you should know it too. It will take work. Quite a bit of work actually to get it installed correctly. It took me at least 4 hours to get it installed on to my 90’s Unisaw and I still have yet to cut a single board with it. I’m pretty confident it will be fine and I’ll post another review at a later date. When you are dealing with a retrofit it requires some degree of knowledge so that you don’t do something stupid and end up hurting yourself. I wanted to make my own riving knife system but quickly realized how hard and how much work that would be and that the $150 that I spent to get BORK’s ready made system was well worth the money. It wasn’t perfect for sure but you have to remember that they sell this kit to fit almost any make and model of saw from any year. That’s a lot of requirements and you better believe they expect the end user to be smart enough to figure out any problems that might arise and take care of that themselves with provided assistance. I am very pleased so far with the system but I would only recommend it to those who are not the BOLT ON and go type of person. THere is more to it than that and it will require some brain power to figure out the best possible method of installation. I gave it four stars because I didn’t know what was involved and the site was a little dry on information as far as how to install it. You only find that out once you do the install. And in a way that makes sense because there are so many different setups out there it would be impossible to include them all. If I didn’t have the extra money to spend and not worry about the cost I might not have bought it because of that. I really wanted to solve the problem of kickback but get rid of my current system and I think this will do just fine, mostly because of the customizable design. Here is a video I made of the review.

542 posts in 2044 days

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#1 posted 01-29-2014 05:35 AM

Thanks for your informative review.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#2 posted 01-29-2014 12:57 PM

I looked at the bork a while back for my old unisaw but was unimpressed. It seems it’s about the only retrofit available. The hardware is too flexible, it’s not really a knife but a splitter that does not keep level with the top of the blade when elevated, and worst of all it’s a sloppy installation design. I mean, a hose clamp, really? I don’t have a better design so I have to limit myself here by saying that I won’t be buying the bork.

I would be interested, however, to hear from you after many hours working with it on your saw.

Wayne

#3 posted 01-29-2014 05:26 PM

I felt exactly like you ic3ss, so I guess I’ll be the sucker that took the plunge and try it out. My video kind of explains all the problems you’re talking about, sorry it’s so long. I can’t wait to get some real time use out of it. I tell you if it doesn’t pan out like I want I’m going to think hard about a PM2000. But like you said there isn’t anything out there that is readily for sale to solve this problem. I saw a review of another system that looked VERY Promising but it was just a guy making one for himself in his lovely machine shop. Lucky guy.

#4 posted 01-29-2014 07:35 PM

I bought one for my Unisaw , I was extremely disappointed with it.
I now use the MC Splitter SteelPro and I am extremely happy with them.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#5 posted 01-29-2014 07:52 PM

That’s good info, thanks Luke.

View BuckI's profile

BuckI

#6 posted 01-30-2014 02:06 AM

I was curious of the price, the website should post price without having to shift through pages on the web page. For that amount of money a hose clamp to bolt it on is not what I was expecting. I hope you like it. Name is a little misleading as it took four hours to install.
Best,
Kevin

-- Kevin, Ohio

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#7 posted 01-30-2014 07:28 AM

I looked into one a couple of years ago and my wife wanted to give it to me as a birthday gift. I got off on a tangent and never gave her the purchase info. Prices have really shot up. I believe the one I looked at – the original BORK – was about $70 give or take.

#8 posted 01-30-2014 11:04 PM

The original was made from aluminum, much less cost and wasn’t as nice. It had a open end which gave it more opportunity to shoot out if problems arose. It also didn’t have the capability to hold a guard. Quite honestly, i feel like $150 is a good price. The only other version that i saw a guy make should go for two times more, but he’s not selling. So BORK kinda has a monopoly on the market. Here’s the bottom line. Point me to something that is comparable for less money.

View BuckI's profile

BuckI

#9 posted 01-30-2014 11:41 PM

Actually, I have a Merlin Splitter I have tried to get rid of for years as I upgraded saws twice now. I don’t think they make them anymore, mine is for a Delta contractors left tilt. Wish this could help you out. If you can find one of those, it’s probably more hefty, bolts in place and has a quick release tab to remove it off of the saw. Maybe try looking on eBay or another used market to see if someone has one. I bought it from Rockler for about a hundred bucks.

-- Kevin, Ohio

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#10 posted 01-31-2014 05:39 PM

I’ve had an original BORK since 2008, and now have an updated version plus the blade guard. I’ve been happy with all of them., but the new one is a considerably more evolved design. Once set up well, it works great (as you mentioned, it’s a universal retrofit and it does take some effort, but it’s not too bad once the concept clicks) . Nice review and video….thanks for posting.

Regarding the knife height…if you adjust it level with your most common blade heights, it’s nearly a non-issue. If you ever need to adjust the knife height, it takes all of 15 or 20 seconds. It DOES raise and lower with the blade (unlike a splitter), but since it’s essentially mounted on boom attached to the swing arm, it travels a greater distance both up and down than the blade.