Useless

Review by mcase posted 86 days ago 2103 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Useless Useless No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The DMT 3” x 8” DiaSharp® Stone, 8000x – described as a super fine stone quote – “The extra-extra fine (8000x) produces a mirror finish.” The accompanying literature says they are broken in at the factory. Well I gave this the old college try. At first touch you could tell it was way, way too coarse. So I tried breaking it in. I spent forty minutes or so working the back of a Pfiel chisel methodically over the stone on the side indicated on the stone as the proper surface to see if it would smooth out. I then re-polished the chisel completely from the ground up. I had to start on an 800 waterstone to get rid of the scratches from this 8000 super fine DMT thing! So after bringing the chisel back to 6000 on a quality Japanese waterstone. I gave the DMT another shot at it. Well as Confucius said one picture is worth a thousand words. You can see what it did to the back of my Pfiel chisel. I thought maybe the grit was mislabeled and brought it back to Woodcraft in Woburn, MA. to see if we could maybe replace or whatever. This particular Woodcraft has a long-standing reputation for being uncooperative, but their managers response was rude and stupid even for them – “I don’t care whats wrong with it , it looks fine to me”. By the way I brought the chisel with me so there could be no mistake. I don’t see what else I could do, I just demanded my money back. So according to Woodcraft in Woburn this thing is functioning as designed. OK, I have to take their word on it. So it gets one star – one more than it deserves.

View mcase's profile

mcase

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

send your complaint in a courteous and professional way to DMT and mentioned the name of the store and name of the manger and how uncooperative they were.
You might get a refund if they advertised it as producing a mirror finish. I remember when I got the medium and fine one at Lee Valley, they told me the extra-extra fine would not produce a mirror finish. I cannot tell from experience because I do not own the x8000.

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

2275 posts in 2034 days

I had a good customer service experience with DMT a few years back. Also, I know exactly what you are saying about that Woodcraft store in Woburn. I have to be pretty desperate for something to go there.

-- “A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” ― Mark Twain

View Richard Hillius's profile

Richard Hillius

I have the extra-extra fine DMT plate and while it does not produce a mirror finish the scratches it leaves are not as aggressive as the picture shows. You can use a strop on a edge after using my DMT plate and get a mirrored finish pretty quickly.

Overall I’m disappointed in mine as I feel it’s to fine for shaping work but it’s not fine enough to create a really fine honed edge. I use the DUO-Sharp plates in 4 grits for a lot of my shaping needs and really like them for that but once I need to hone the edge I switch to other means.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

I’ve had numerous bad experiences at the Woodcraft in Newington, NH. Everything from employees not willing to check if a part matched my table saw to an employee acting like I had no clue what I was doing because I didn’t know what I was looking for (I was browsing). I was in the store another time and a employee was answering a question on the phone, as soon as he hung the phone up, he made fun of the person to another associate. All these interactions took place without any attitude from me.

I stopped buying anything from that place. I will occasionally stop by to look at items, but never purchase from them. I did fill out an online survey explaining my stories.

On the bright side of things, the Rockler store in South Portland, Maine has awesome employees. I will pay slightly higher prices at this store just to help keep them in business.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

Sorry to hear your story. Bad way to scuff up a nice chisel. I use the DMT Duo-Sharps then a Norton waterstone.
I know what you mean about the guys at Woburn. Not the friendliest bunch. I just learned a little while ago that that is the first woodcraft store. Seems like they stopped hiring shortly after they were founded, and those original employees are still knocking about the place. At least they’re down-to-earth, though. The Rockler in Cambridge seems to only employ people willing to turn up their noses at anyone walking through the door whose name is not Tommy MacDonald or Norm. Actually, since TMac is sponsored by Woodcraft, they’d probably run him right outta town too. Options are sparce around Boston. Haven’t been down to the new Woodcraft in Walpole, I’ll get there someday, but it’s more of a hike. Best of luck.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View crmitchell's profile

crmitchell

That’s why I haven’t done business with Woodcraft in several years, they must train them that way. Visited the store north of Atlanta several times over a couple of years. Never did anyone welcome me to the store, speak to me while I browsed, ask if I had questions, etc. – all things that are retailing “must-do” items. When checking out, did not discontinue talking to buddies to handle my transaction. Never went back. Store moved a couple of years ago.

Then one opened in Chattanooga. Same attitude. Some folks who they knew got great service, but walk-ins like me were ignored. They went out of business rather quickly.

The Rockler store on Roswell Rd. in Atlanta has had all my business for the past few years. John runs a class operation and has a great staff – and the coffee’s always fresh.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

345 posts in 1938 days

Have to say that Woodcraft in Greenville, SC is an awesome place to shop. Have been to a few others and have no issue. I know this is about the stone, but sometimes we’ll never know about a great product because the personnel who work these stores, aren’t interested in the product, just the steady income.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Woodcraft is a 90day satisfaction guarantee. Note “satisfaction” .

You are not satisfied they should take it back. Dispute it with your credit card company.

I have not been to woodcraft for a while.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Thanks for the friendly advice. Hope it works out for ya.

No DMT’s will be purchased.

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

All-around crappy experience, sorry. I’ve never read anyone tout a diamond stone as a good finishing/polishing stone and here’s visual proof.

I was watching a Paul Sellers video the other day, can’t remember which one, and he was talking about all the fancy stones today and how they never existed 30 years ago and most people in history sharpened up to (roughly) 400 grit and got by just fine. There have to have been natural stones that were more refined than than 400? Regardless, if you’ve got a 6000 waterstone I don’t know why you’d get an 8000 DMT unless your 6000 is at the end of its life and you had to replace it. A lot of people think they need to move up gradually with stones like sandpaper but you don’t as long as you have quality stones. I go – 1000, 8000, done. The results are superior. Diamond stones are great for lowish-medium grits, I’ve got a DMT coarse only for when I need to put on a primary bevel, otherwise it’s a flattening stone.

Brian Burns primarily uses two stones and makes world-class guitars, a furniture maker convinced him he didn’t need a third. I’ve been convinced as well.

Yeah, go back to Woodcraft and get a refund, they do have a guarantee. I’d also fire off a polite email to DMT and Woodcraft HQ.

View DouginVa's profile

DouginVa

That scratch pattern looks circular. WorkSharp?

-- Just a man with his chisel.........

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

I agree that you should contact DMT. I’ve dealt with them a couple of times and they have been very responsive. The picture shows that the plate is 3 micron. There’s no way (IMHO) that 3 micron is going to give you a mirror finish.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

that does look like a pretty rough cut there. I get better results from the DMT “extra-fine” (green) stone. I also had very similar experience with the Woburn WC store and like Chuck said – I have to be pretty desperate to go there. although if you look at your receipt – there is a “full satisfaction guarantee – your satisfaction or your money back no questions asked” which they must accept.

I would contact DMT and see what they have to say about it. doesn’t make sense to me if it’s labeled as 8000x

would be interested to hear if this evolves and you get any responses.

Edit: PS – like mentioned, if you’ve already run your chisels on a 6000x waterstone, I see no reason to go to a 8000x diamond stone… diamond stones claimed grit is usually lower than equivalent water stone. or at least thats what experience shows.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

My local woodcraft happens to be very good – especially with customer service. They stopped carrying DMT in favor of the Trend products. The complaints were similar – too fine for sharpening, not fine enough for honing.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

I’ve got the 3 micron DMT, and I think I’m safe in saying you don’t. I agree contact DMT. Its just not right. Mine also won’t polish, but it definitely doesn’t scratch.

-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)