Product Rating, sort of, Merchant Rating for sure

Review by kajunkraft posted 209 days ago 3982 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Product Rating, sort of, Merchant Rating for sure No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased the Grizzly G0452Z jointer. It has the spiral cutterhead. Assembly was pretty easy, took about an hour. Directions were pretty good. Condition of all parts, finish, etc. was fine. The machine does an awesome job of flattening, as it is supposed to, and is very quiet (relative to the bladed versions). So, in my opinion this is a great machine.

What I really want to comment on, however, is Grizzly’s customer service.

This machine came in two boxes. Box 1 arrived on January 6, 2014. Nobody seemed to have any clue as to where is Box 2. I was dealing with the shipper only, as I didn’t feel that Grizzly was in any way the problem here.

The delivery driver said that Box 2 was probably left at the terminal by mistake and I would get it “tomorrow or the next day”. He did call someone on to report the shortage. I did indicate on the delivery receipt that only one box was received.

“Tomorrow” and “the next day” came and went with no Box 2 delivery. So I contacted the shipper and got a “we’ll check into it” response. I couldn’t help but feel that they really didn’t care too much. Just one box out of thousands.

Mainly because of this attitude I also contacted Grizzly’s Customer Service. Again, I did not feel that this was at all Grizzly’s fault, but thought they ought to know. Furthermore, I realized that I had contracted with Grizzly to purchase the machine and it was, ultimately, their responsibility to have it delivered, regardless of the carrier they chose.

Anyway, days went by with no Box 2. It was finally received on January 20, obviously 14 days after Box 1 arrived.

In the mean time, Susan from Grizzly (I believe she is in the “Shipping Dept.”) followed up very closely. She obviously was in frequent contact with the shipper, and, just as importantly, me. I had gotten to the point that I wanted to forget Box 2 and return Box 1. On the other hand, there is no comparable jointer in this price range, so I wanted to complete the transaction. Susan and I spoke on Friday, the 17th when it was “absolutely, positively” supposed to be delivered. I waited until 6:00 PM (was supposed to be delivered by 5:00 PM). At 4:30 I called the terminal and Box 2 was on the truck and the truck was about 15 minutes from me. Don’t know how he couldn’t make it until about 6:15, but that’s when he finally showed up. I had left, but someone on the premises let me know that he did arrive and would be back Monday morning. Susan called me Friday night and, upon learning of yet another failed delivery, said she would call me back Monday, which she did. At 12:30, now past “Monday morning” I called the terminal and they said he would be there within the hour. Susan called me twice again until Box 2 finally arrive; case closed.

Sorry that this has been a little long-winded, but I really want to stress how concerned and helpful Susan was. I really think that the shipper couldn’t care less when or if Box 2 got delivered, but Susan stayed on top of it. Kudos, of course, to Grizzly and Susan for the excellent customer care.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

View Dallas's profile (online now)

Dallas

If it were me and I you, I would be contacting Susan’s higher-ups, including the CEO, CFO, BLT, Ham and Swiss on Rye, and whoever else will listen and tell them how she “Went above and Beyond” for you, the customer.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Skippy906's profile

Skippy906

I have all good things about Grizzly customer service. I have purchased 2-TS, BS, 2-jointers and a scroll saw. If I had any small problems, they handled it right away. Great customer service. 2 thumbs up.

-- Making progress

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Great to hear griz was on top of things. I’m getting that jointer as soon as the weather breaks. :)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View casual1carpenter's profile

casual1carpenter

kajunkraft, perhaps you should be reviewing the shipper also, LOL, as I would not want that type of delivery service. I am glad you are happy with the jointer purchase even after the rough start from delivery issues.

I have nothing but good to say about anytime that I called grizzly customer service and I believe that they do go above and beyond always, not just on high ticket items but even on questions that are not worth the price of the phone call.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

Grizzly certainly does have great CS.

Please post the name of the shipper that failed miserably, so we know who to avoid.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

great to hear they have great customer service,although i’ve never had to deal with them.i know they send out your order quickly which is really nice.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

You didn’t mention how long it took to get Box 1 after purchase date.
If Grizzly was really that concerned, they would have shipped you a second Box #2 and made the Shipper return the first one to them whenever they found it.
That would have 5 star worthy customer service !
How much have you used it in the past 2-3 days since it arrived ?
Kind of hard to tell if you’re reviewing the machine or Susan in your review.
Glad you’re enjoying your new toy : )

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

I think the first box arrived within about a week from the order date, which is OK and you have to realize that this was right around Christmas/New Years so there was a little disruption there.

The shipping company was SAIA. I didn’t have the option of choosing the shipper. Have had decent service from them before though.

Have used the jointer quite a bit now and am having a little trouble with snipe, not at the ends, but almost in the middle. Think I just have to get a little better about transferring pressure from the infeed table to the outfeed table at the right time and in the right way. It also is kinda weird about dust collection. Even with a good connection to a dedicated collector it likes to blow a lot of chips right onto the infeed table. But, it is very quiet and the cut is smooth other than the snipe area.

View UpstateNYdude's profile

UpstateNYdude

most of Grizzly’s stuff is shipped by UPS freight or Air Freight both suck equally in my opinion, wish they go with Fedex…

-- Nick, “Discovering the truth about ourselves is a lifetime's work, but it's worth the effort.” ― Fred Rogers, Be My Neighbor

View Umpire20's profile

Umpire20

I wish you well with your new jointer. I am in the midst of deciding which jointer I am going to purchase. I am looking at the Grizzly G0452P. I don’t really have the need for the spiral cutter head so the 0452 should be sufficient for me.

If any others here have advice / suggestions …..... I’d love to hear it.

-- Steve, New Mexico, USA