A test of my patience leads to a very satisfying outcome.

Review by FloridaUFGator posted 06-19-2008 09:15 PM 3319 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A test of my patience leads to a very satisfying outcome. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know this is already listed under the tablesaw reviews but the previous ‘review’ wasn’t really a review. I’ll do my best to give you my thoughts on this.

This review is from a perspective of ‘once the machine is put together’. Complaints are at the end.

Power – SUPERB! Everything just melts as it goes through this thing (if you know what I mean). I came from a Ridgid TS2400 (I think that was the number). Granted – this isn’t an apples to apples comparison. You can’t bog this thing down. Cuts through 8/4 maple and walnut without a single burn mark (once I tuned it properly and learned to trust the saw). I pushed wood through it too slowly because I was use to my old saw that wouldn’t handle the speed.

Features – MANY! I’m sure anyone who is interested in this saw knows about the features. Riving knife (several options – regular kerf, thin kerf, low profile, regular); Arbor lock which is great!; Split blade guard; Wheels – they give you a workout when raising and lowering but couldn’t live without them in my shop; Superb raising and lower of the blade – this is my favorite part of the saw. It works so easily that if you aren’t careful and lock the blade down it might move on you; Large table surfaces – enough said; Fence – very nice and locks solidly in place; Dust collection – so, so in this category. Not sure it is the saws fault. Just typical of most saws. If you use a zero clearance insert you are guaranteed of dust coming at you from the top.

Cost – expensive but worth it (in my opinion). I got mine during a special PM sale. I think I paid $2299 for it including the 50” fence.

Weight – Oh my gosh! I think this thing is throwing off the earth’s rotation a bit (at least from my house). If you’ve ever spun one of those cheap plastic kids balls that you find in the big wire rack at the grocery store you know what I mean. I think the earth spins this way now that I have this thing in my garage. Sorry if your equilibrium is off – it’s my fault.

Customer Service – Absolutely phenomenal. I own several PM tools and have had to call them a number of times. They are very friendly, very prompt, very knowledgeable, and very quick to ship anything you need at no cost and no question. If an item is under warranty that is the way it should be. You describe a problem. They figure out what is wrong and ship you the replacement immediately. I submit to other companies – why is this so hard to figure out and model in your own companies. I can list 10+ tool companies where the CS is horrendous. I’m going through an issue with my new Omnijig (I won’t name the company :-) I’ve had two shipments sent to me for an item that wasn’t included in the box. They haven’t gotten it right yet. This was after I went on their site with them on the phone and told them exactly what part # to send me. A month later I still can’t cut half-blind dovetails – argh!

OK – Now the complaints.

Out of the box this thing (at least in my case) was very difficult to put together. The initial fit and finish was questionable at best. Holes didn’t line up. There were burrs in a lot of places. The fence needed significant adjustment just to slide correctly on the table. The table top was way out of alignment with the blade (I’ll chalk that up to shipping). Cheap bolts that hold the fence on. I had one snap as I was mounting the fence. I had to drill it out. I’m guessing PM doesn’t manufacturer their own fence. That is where most of the problems came in. Trying to attach the fence rails to the table was a huge challenge. I eventually got there but it was unnecessarily difficult.

As the title states – once this thing is up and running you will never look back. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

-- ...and remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses - Norm Abram

View FlWoodRat's profile

FlWoodRat

#1 posted 06-19-2008 10:16 PM

It’s a great looking saw,,, but it needs a Garnet and Gold paint scheme.. GO NOLES!!

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 06-19-2008 10:54 PM

that is one great saw. its cool that it has a riving knife too. always wanted one of those. i know what you mean about holes not lining up. i got a shed once and none of the holes lined up. i had to drill all my own. thanks for the post!

#3 posted 06-20-2008 11:55 AM

This is both a nice review and a nice saw as well. I have a new saw on my wish list and right now it is a toss up between the PM2000 and a Sawstop.

Thanks for the post. And enjoy your new toy.

#4 posted 06-20-2008 04:55 PM

Yeah, I was looking at the Saw Stop as well. I was very close to buying one but couldn’t justify the extra $1500. It is also a great saw. Do I wish I bought one of those instead? Sometimes, but only for the safety feature. Not because this saw is deficient anywhere else. I think the biggest reason I have continued with Powermatic is because of their customer service (and of course quality). They have been around forever and I know they will be around long after I retire so I feel confident that this saw will live on past my needs. I don’t know the same for the Saw Stop company.

#5 posted 06-20-2008 04:59 PM

WoodRat – believe it or not you can get it in Garnet and Gold (although that would look very ugly. Orange and Blue would be so much more attractive :-)

Check out this site: http://www.powermaticcustoms.com/

View Texasgaloot's profile

Texasgaloot

#6 posted 06-20-2008 08:00 PM

Ah, someday when I grow up…

Thanks for the review!

-- There's no tool like an old tool...

#7 posted 07-04-2008 04:36 AM

Great video. I notice yours is a bit newer than mine. Mine was a first generation. Since then they upgraded the fence and changed the gearing system on the wheels. Glad you like your saw. It is superb.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#8 posted 07-27-2008 03:26 PM

FloridaUFGator

I am very keen to own PM 2000. At $2,300 for a good quality TS like this one ,I consider reasonable.
Ive been searching for this machine in UK and AU stores , but never find one.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View SteveV's profile

SteveV

#9 posted 09-09-2008 02:37 PM

Wow, for the money I would hope to see an easier installation. I went with a Steel City for $1400 and the install was petty good. My only issue was with the directions not the fit and finish. So I think that is worth $1000 in savings. I would love to own a PM2000 but I’m not quite sure why! Maybe its just the name “Powermatic” because my saw is great and cuts through everything! Why are these saws so expensive? Then there is the Saw Stop for almost $4000. Sheesh nice saw but come on and yes, I have cut the end of my thumb off and still won’t be held hostage for almost $4K.

View RajinCajun's profile

RajinCajun

26 posts in 2092 days

#10 posted 04-18-2009 05:25 PM

I bought a PM2000 last year. It is a wonderful saw. Probably capable of greater accuracy than I am able to take advantage of…
But related to your comments about “Customer Service – Absolutely phenomenal…You describe a problem. They figure out what is wrong and ship you the replacement immediately.”
That has NOT been my experience. My saw’s motor stopped working last week, and I’ve been getting the run-around from WHM. They’ve advised me to disassemble the motor and they will talk me through it. I don’t know anything about electric motors, and don’t want to try my hand at being a technician at this point in my life. Seems like I’m SOL, because they won’t arrange field service.
My idea of warranty coverage on a saw that’s less than a year old is someone to come out and fix it. If my washing machine breaks, that’s what happens. My crappy old Craftsman saw needed repair outside of warranty, and I had no problem getting someone out to work on it.
My question is: is this the standard for shop equipment? Do-it-yourself warranty repair?

-- Its a HOBBY...I already have a job.