Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria

Review by jdh122 posted 01-22-2014 09:13 PM 4295 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this small bowl adze for about two months now, and used it to carve four bowls, all in poplar (not tulip poplar, quaking aspen, which we call poplar around here). So a very soft wood, and green.

When I was looking for a small curved adze to use for bowls and also possibly chair seats, I hunted quite hard, and was unwilling to pay the price that the Swedish and Swiss companies want. On ebay I found this adze sold by the ebay seller mapsyst (currently at http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURVED-BOWL-ADZE-WOODWORKING-SCULPTING-HAND-ADZ-STEEL-4150-WOODCARVING-TOOL-/141160828705 but the link will expire when the sale does). The price is very reasonable ($38), so I figured I’d take the risk.

I’ve been extremely happy with the tool. It’s an in-cannel rather than out-cannel (some writers, namely Drew Langsner, say that only out-cannel is any good), but I haven’t found that to be a problem. I’ve sharpened it several times with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper followed by a dowel with honing compound and the tool takes a good edge. It removes good chunks of wood and leaves a smooth surface. The angle between the handle and head is quite steep (curved in a good bit past 90 degrees) and that took some getting used to, but on steep bowls it’s very handy. The handle looks to be beech, and it’s turned round (tapered) rather than the ax-style handle I’m more used to. The handle is removable for sharpening, as it should be. The head has a hammer end and a nail puller, although I can’t imagine ever using either.

It took over two weeks to arrive after I ordered it, but this is because it shipped from Bulgaria (where it’s made) to Canada. And shipping charges are only $12, so it was sent regular mail.

Overall I am really pleased that I bought this and looking forward to using it more.

View Tim's profile

Tim

#1 posted 01-23-2014 12:48 AM

Wow that really is a tight radius curve on the blade end on that. How do you find that works for you? Have you used one of the flatter curved ones like the seller’s large curved adze?

Oh and thanks for the review that is a nice price.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

#2 posted 01-23-2014 07:26 AM

Really nice store on ebay. Thanks

#3 posted 01-23-2014 10:57 AM

Tim,
I had linked to the wrong adze (it’s changed now). The one I bought has a medium curve rather than that super-tight one. It’s fairly tight still, but I find it works well. It may leave a little more clean-up to be done with the heel-shave that follows the adze than the big curve one would.

View llwynog's profile

llwynog

#4 posted 01-24-2014 08:17 PM

Jeremy,
Thank you for the review. I am of the same mind as you regarding the price of the Swedish and Swiss adzes and I also found the same Bulgarian adzes on Ebay.
I was wondering whether these later adzes were worth anything… good to read your advice on them. I’ll be considering the same purchase.

-- Fabrice - "On est bien bête mais on sent bien quand on se fait mal" - my grandfather

View mapsyst's profile

mapsyst

#5 posted 10-01-2014 09:32 AM

Man!
I was very pleased to see your review here at lumberjocks…
I would like to announce that every professional from that forum will receive special discount of 10% from the price of my items at all by sending me message with word: “lumberjocks”
Also I would like to ask you can I put a link to your review in my store and web-site?

Once again thanks!

BR
Ivan

-- http://axessive.com

View theMillionthDaniel's profile

theMillionthDaniel

#6 posted 11-04-2014 02:30 AM

I have this adze too. It’s great. i love it. i’d have to say that the curve is not tight at all. the adze is much larger than it looks. this is about a 5 on the gouge sweep scale. not tight at all and perfect in my opinion. i’d suggest buying one of these, the price is freakin’ crazy cheap even with shipping. It may not be forever. this is why ebay is awesome.
the seller’s link is here
p.s.
i also have an axe sold by him and it’s pretty awesome too.

-- I put myself in the tree.

#7 posted 11-14-2014 05:03 PM

Ivan,
Just saw your message. Certainly you can link to it in your store. I may buy another one with a different sweep soon, so the 10% discount is appreciated too.

View mapsyst's profile

mapsyst

#8 posted 12-11-2014 08:47 AM

@jdh122

Thank you very much, my friend!
You are welcome!