Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria

Review by jdh122 posted 221 days ago 2875 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria Nice small curved adze from Bulgaria Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this small bowl adze for about two months now, and used it to carve four bowls, all in poplar (not tulip poplar, quaking aspen, which we call poplar around here). So a very soft wood, and green.

When I was looking for a small curved adze to use for bowls and also possibly chair seats, I hunted quite hard, and was unwilling to pay the price that the Swedish and Swiss companies want. On ebay I found this adze sold by the ebay seller mapsyst (currently at http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURVED-BOWL-ADZE-WOODWORKING-SCULPTING-HAND-ADZ-STEEL-4150-WOODCARVING-TOOL-/141160828705 but the link will expire when the sale does). The price is very reasonable ($38), so I figured I’d take the risk.

I’ve been extremely happy with the tool. It’s an in-cannel rather than out-cannel (some writers, namely Drew Langsner, say that only out-cannel is any good), but I haven’t found that to be a problem. I’ve sharpened it several times with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper followed by a dowel with honing compound and the tool takes a good edge. It removes good chunks of wood and leaves a smooth surface. The angle between the handle and head is quite steep (curved in a good bit past 90 degrees) and that took some getting used to, but on steep bowls it’s very handy. The handle looks to be beech, and it’s turned round (tapered) rather than the ax-style handle I’m more used to. The handle is removable for sharpening, as it should be. The head has a hammer end and a nail puller, although I can’t imagine ever using either.

It took over two weeks to arrive after I ordered it, but this is because it shipped from Bulgaria (where it’s made) to Canada. And shipping charges are only $12, so it was sent regular mail.

Overall I am really pleased that I bought this and looking forward to using it more.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

View Tim's profile

Tim

Wow that really is a tight radius curve on the blade end on that. How do you find that works for you? Have you used one of the flatter curved ones like the seller’s large curved adze?

Oh and thanks for the review that is a nice price.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

Really nice store on ebay. Thanks

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

Tim,
I had linked to the wrong adze (it’s changed now). The one I bought has a medium curve rather than that super-tight one. It’s fairly tight still, but I find it works well. It may leave a little more clean-up to be done with the heel-shave that follows the adze than the big curve one would.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View llwynog's profile

llwynog

Jeremy,
Thank you for the review. I am of the same mind as you regarding the price of the Swedish and Swiss adzes and I also found the same Bulgarian adzes on Ebay.
I was wondering whether these later adzes were worth anything… good to read your advice on them. I’ll be considering the same purchase.

-- Fabrice - "On est bien bête mais on sent bien quand on se fait mal" - my grandfather