After 5 years it's still kicking

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 183 days ago 1451 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
After 5 years it's still kicking After 5 years it's still kicking No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I own only two newer craftsman tools. One is a 4” grinder that has lasted me 4 years after makita’s and dewalts burned out after about a year each. Go figure. And this little compressor that has been stellar.
I’ve been wanting to give this little compressor it’s due for some time now as I’ve had tons of experience with it.
This compressor is now rated at 1 hp. Mine was labeled 1.5 hp. I think though that they are the same item. The hp must have been reassessed over time. It’s oil filled, comes with two gauges, one for the tank and one for the hose. It also comes with a 25 ft coiled hose and the quick release fittings for each end, and teflon tape and oil. The compressor is oil filled so that it’s fairly quiet… as far any any compressor is I guess. It has a quick release valve on the bottom for release of air and water. When I pick it up with the handle, it’s positioned so that I balances level and doesn’t walk on my leg as I walk with it. The handle will also act as a holder for a coiled hose.
I’ve had it for about 5 years now. I’ve put about ten 50 lb boxes of framing nails through it. Yes, it keeps up with my porter cable framing nailer. Even if I’m quick nailing floors using auto fire on the nail gun it runs a lot but keeps supplying enough air to embed the nail below surface level as I walk with the nail gun. I’ve done a couple of roofs with it and about 5000 sq ft. of hardwood flooring. Not to mention my finish and pin nailer that I use constantly in the shop, installing molding, etc. As with any small compressor it can’t keep up with rotary tools or spraying as those need large volumes of air but this little guy has taken a beating and keeps on working. I have a 20 gallon and 60 gallon compressor which I use for higher volume stuff, but whenever I can, I choose this one as it’s small, portable, and just does what I ask of it. It’s also very tight. When I leave my nail gun plugged in with a 50 ft hose, it’s still reading 120 lbs. the next day on the gauge, or up to 4-5 days later.

Cons: I did have one of the large rubber feet break off in the first year. I hooked it on a stair and lifted hard. I’ve got it but have yet to put it back on. A bolt levels it for now.
Being oil filled there is a little bubble that shows you it’s got oil in it. And I don’t know if it’s this way with all small oil filled compressors but if you tip it over it will leak out slowly through the vent cap. I’ve only had it tip over once in the truck bed. I wedge it between tools now.

Once this compressor finally bites the dust. I’ll just get another one like it. There’s no reason for me to look for another model or brand. Back in the day it cost $125. It’s sold now at Sears for $99 and it goes on sale for $79 as I bought one for my future son in law for Christmas (2013)

Highly recommended.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2363 posts in 2035 days

Nice to see it’s stil blowing well for you.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

Wish I could find a nice small oil-filled. I have the Porter Cable pancake and it is LOUD. I have a Craftsman roll about compressor and for some bizarre reason it didn’t come with a regulator. But it is actually made by DeVilbiss. They’ve been making compressors, pumps and milk house equipment forever. If you look around on yours you may find a tag that says who manufactured it.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

Thanks for the review. I’ll have to second most of wh at was said. Although I don’t use mine as much as above, the compressor delivers all that I ask of it. I have had mine for more than 4 years without issue. And yes, letting it call over does allow a little oil leak out. Minor issue though for a great compressor.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

These are the kind of reviews I like. Once the novelty factor wears off, and you have used a tool for some time, I think that’s when we know the real value of a good tool.

Thanks.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

I own the 5 hp, 220 v version purchased in 1985 and that baby is still going strong after thousands of hours on it including sand blasting and painting Lots of tires inflated and dust blown. In fact I even used it today for more than 30 minutes of operation. Not sure but think Emerson might have fabricated it. Rated five stars.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

I have that same unit for seven yrs now and it’s quiet the little workhorse. It,s a gem!

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View Mas's profile

Mas

I’ve owned the same little compressor for 6-7 years too, bought it just to air up car tires and such but I also found out that it surprisingly keeps up with most tasks just fine.