Cut calculator for ipad

Review by ic3ss posted 191 days ago 2264 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cut calculator for ipad No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using this app on my ipad for a few weeks now so I guess I can review it. In a nutshell, it works as advertised. It’s pretty simple and fairly straightforward to use. You enter the X/Y dimensions for each piece of wood in your project, the dimensions of the wood you will cut from, and your saw kerf width. It lays out your pieces to be cut over the stock so you can visually estimate your materials. You have limited controls available, you can lay out the grain direction vertically or horizontally, and thats about it. With your pieces laid out, if you want to rotate one 90 degrees, you have to edit the dimensions swapping the width and height measurements. You also don’t have the ability to move a piece to another part of the stock if that’s what you wanted to do.

You can print out the layout, save as a pdf and email it. There are layouts for using both linear board and sheet goods.

Although it is useful in figuring material usage, it would be much better with some further development. I can think of several tools that this app should have but does not. But at 5 bucks its a cheap and useful tool that’s worth having, and if they further develop it you can get the updates for free on the app store. It’s not quite there yet, but it’s a good start.

Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

On the PC I use a program called MaxCut. Free and very good.

View Howie's profile

Howie

While this may work well remember every “app” you put on your phone has the potential to track you.

-- Life is good.

View Bampei's profile

Bampei

40 posts in 1947 days

Howie….
Just HAVING an iPhone turned on has the same potential! And for the record, this is primarily an iPAD app….not really designed for the iPHONE.

Wayne,

Great find. Thanks. On my iPad now! Cheers!

-- I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

Like it or not, we’re all being tracked even if you don’t have a phone, even if you’ve never used the internet. It’s a fact of our modern life. I’m not worried about a silly little app.

Bampei, I’m glad it was worth a try for you.

Wayne