Great tools vs. good tools.

Review by madts posted 216 days ago 2613 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great tools vs. good tools. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got a fair amount of good Brownie points at amazon during Christmas, that I decided to spring the plunger on a Tormek T-3. I have had lots of problems here in Houston, working in a 2-car garage with all the humidity, to keep my tools sharp. Sharpen one day rusty the next. I have been using scary sharp, diamond stones, but I spent most of my time with dull tools. Not any more.
I have spent a couple of days getting all the tools that need sharping out of the garage and cleaned them up.
Then set up a station for sharping. It is amazing how fast it goes. The 220 grit stone just cuts and cuts.
Within minutes I was getting some of the best edges ever. The leather hone just makes it so much better.

I know that this tool is very expensive, but to me right now, it is totally worth it, because I have to finish the house so that the wife and myself can go on the road to see some of you guys.

Pros: Sharpens very fast. Is very easy to use. Gives me an edge like I have never had before. Will sharpen anything if you buy the guide. The leather hone is just great. It will polish any surface.

Cons: Expensive. Does not come with a flattening guide. Guides are expensive. It comes with band-aids. But not enough.

All in all a quantity tool. I have started to buy fewer tools but better quality. This is in the believe that a great tool will make you want to work more because of the tool. A good tool will get the job done, but did you have the enjoyment of using the tool.

I will keep you all updated as to how my theory is working.

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View madts's profile

madts

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

So, with all your sharpening you did, how did you get around the 30 minute run time limit that is in the instructions.
I have heard this is an issue with the T3.

I have used the T7 and find it really good at what it does but at one HECK of a price. I think the T3 should be 100 less and the T7 at least 200 less but that is my opinion.

Thanks for the user review.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View madts's profile

madts

I did not have a problem with the time limit of 30 minutes. I only have 20 chisels and 10 planes to sharpen, so the time is of no big deal. I think that tormek has this in there for there own protection.
Who can prove what. If you are a pro sharpener, it would be a different story.

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

I have the 10” Grizzly clone. You might find my blog entry on sharpening interesting http://lumberjocks.com/OSU55/blog/39391 It has some interesting links in it as well. I use this sharpening process for chisels as well as planes.

Here is a link to a rust preventive I use http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3717

View stefang's profile

stefang

12875 posts in 1961 days

Congratulations on getting a Tormek. I have a Tormek and I am very satisfied with it. Excellent edges can be produced with a number of hand sharpening techniques and I was pretty dedicated to my diamond plates before buying the Tormek. That said, I find the Tormek easier on my fingers and wrists and I get a shaving sharp edge very quickly while removing a minimum of metal. I didn’t much like the fuss with the water. It has to be emptied frequently and the metal shavings cleaned off the magnet in the water trough. I got tired of carrying water from the house out to the shop. That problem was solved by putting up a shelf to hold a large plastic water container with a tap.

One thing that I really liked with the Paul Sellers sharpening technique is the convex bevel. I think this gives more support to the edge than the traditional concave bevel created by round sharpening stones. I did use Pauls method, but I didn’t much like the stropping part. In spite of the concave bevels created by the Tormek my edges do last long enough to keep me happy.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Richard Hillius's profile

Richard Hillius

On your comments about rust what do you use after your done sharpening to clean the water off the tools? I live in NC and had similar issues with rust until I started to use Camellia Oil after I was done to wipe the tools down. Use that on you tool edges after you sharpen and before you put the tool away when you use it and you will never have issues with rust. A light weight machine oil will also do the trick which is a upside to using oil stones at least for the final honing as it’s already done for you.

As for the Tormek Thanks for the review and I”m sure your going to really enjoy it. It’s a great machine that gives very consistent results. I have used one to sharpen turning tools before and it’s a great system.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

Despite the price Tormek remains the best on the market. Had mine a long time, went to Iraq for 3 yrs and had to read the instructions again to remember how to use it again but still just as simple once you have done some set-up work for the 1st time.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View mafe's profile

mafe

Congrat.
I have a copy from Scheppach and love it.
Have used up a wheel and could not imagine my shop without.
Best thoughts,