Plane Restorers Take Note!!!

Review by poopiekat posted 01-17-2014 02:09 AM 2524 views 10 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Plane Restorers Take Note!!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After seeing some plane restorations by LJ ‘ToddJB’ back in December, I was glad to see someone asked him how he got such a terrific surface on the sides of his planes. His ‘workhorse’ as he referred to it, was a simple burnishing wheel! He claimed it would take a plane from rusty to shiny in one step! I had to have one of these, a hundred of my planes are in queue for restoration, and it’s taking me forever!

So, I purchased a 3M burnishing wheel, the exact one Todd uses. Actually three, they are not sold by the each by the distributor I deal with.

Here’s a plane I selected for the first go: A type #19 #4 Stanley, nice but with typical rust and crud, and not so rare as to be possibly ruining a rare plane:

I took it apart, this plane has nice brass barrel screws, a frog adjustment screw, and still has the factory grind on the cutter, but cheap wood knob and tote. Here’s some in-process pics:

I’ve tried all sorts of rotary de-rusting tools, all were unsatisfactory for one reason or another. I’ve been the Evaporust route, and three other iron-chelating products, I just don’t like that gray color it leaves on iron. I’ve even done electrolysis, that works well, but not when it’s -25 outside!
This 3M burnishing wheel is great! It’s kinda like Scotch-Brite, another 3M product, only much denser, and mounts on your grinder arbor, or in my case, chucked into the drill press. You’ll have to get your own reducer; these are made for 1” arbors. I spent less than an hour and though this plane still needs a bit of touch-up with the wheel, I am quite pleased with the results. I like the feel of the warm, smooth surface, it’s like the metal has been smoothed by years of use in craftsmen’s hands, rather than that grainy scratchy surface you get with other abrasives. Oh, yeah…they’re a bit pricey at $63 ea. CDN, shop around if you can! Maybe under $50 in the USA.
If you’re committed to restoring old hand planes…this is a must-have tool! Thanks for looking!

View Don W's profile

Don W

#1 posted 01-17-2014 02:11 AM

one of these has been in my amazon cart for a while. Yes I need to pull the trigger!!

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

#2 posted 01-17-2014 02:18 AM

How much are they asking for them at Amazon, Don?

View Don W's profile

Don W

#3 posted 01-17-2014 02:31 AM

I just pulled the trigger. You pushed me over the edge. It was $58 with shipping.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

#4 posted 01-17-2014 02:38 AM

Wow Don, you won’t be sorry! I got nailed for $215.27 CDN for my three.
From my old days, I know 3M is a nightmare to deal with, they will only sell certain product lines to certain distributors, like the sealant you need has to be purchased from one place, and a 3M adhesive from another house. So I considered myself lucky to find a local dealer who had to buy three as a minimum purchase from them, so I got all three. That might be enough to get me through some long-standing projects in my plane hospital! Next purchase: a MIG welder for yet other plane re-habs! It’s indeed a slippery slope!

#5 posted 01-17-2014 02:44 AM

I’m going to try this wheel on some hand saws. I got a Disston D-8 with thumb-hole just waiting for the full treatment…

View JayT's profile

JayT

#6 posted 01-17-2014 03:04 AM

I’m going to have to look into getting one of these. Looks like a good investment.

-- "My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." Abraham Lincoln

View Deycart's profile

Deycart

#7 posted 01-17-2014 03:31 AM

What would you say the grit was equivalent to?

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#8 posted 01-17-2014 04:57 AM

Thanks for the review Pk!

#9 posted 01-17-2014 04:58 AM

Thanks, JayT and waho6o9! I hope I don’t lead anyone astray. But if you like restoring planes, this is the way to go. Deycart: It’s kind of hard to say. It would be more apt to compare it to a more tightly woven Scotch-Brite. It’s not really an abrasive, more like a scouring medium. This is why it is called a burnisher, rather than abrasive grit. These wheels feel more like felt than sandpaper, though there is an ‘edge’ to them. It’s hard to say, they work more like buffing than abrasion. But they do remove oxidized metal rather quickly, as you can see from the pics, and they leave a very smooth surface. These wheels are intended to remove machining marks on cast iron or other metals, and I’d guess that even a brand new plane may benefit from a little resurfacing with one.

View ricksr's profile

ricksr

#10 posted 01-17-2014 05:04 AM

poopiekit,
I have been trying to find this product with no luck. Canyou pinpoint where I can get it.

Thanks, Rick

View Howie's profile

Howie

#11 posted 01-17-2014 11:56 AM

How well do these wear? Will they last a while?

-- Life is good.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#12 posted 01-17-2014 12:45 PM

Interesting product and one nice to know about, even if you’re not restoring planes. Thanks.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#13 posted 01-17-2014 02:05 PM

I think it’s called a Deburring wheel as I can’t find a burnishing wheel
from 3M

Enco has a similar one except it has a red label instead of blue.

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

#14 posted 01-17-2014 02:45 PM

You don’t want to use a hard deburring wheel – which is what the red label one is. That is for heavy deburring, the rate of material removal is too high for this application. Make sure you use the EXL line (blue-label), and for this application I would not use anything other than Fine, even the Medium EXL will probably be too heavy of a removal.

Edit: Just looked at that Enco one – click on the master catalog link on that page, scroll down a couple of inches, they carry the EXL as well.

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#15 posted 01-17-2014 03:21 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve a bunch to restore. I will have to give this a try.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov