Excellent Edge Inspection Tool

Review by OSU55 posted 01-16-2014 09:00 PM 1243 views 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Edge Inspection Tool Excellent Edge Inspection Tool No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We deal with a lot of edges – planer & jointer blades, hand plane blades, chisels, saws, etc. Even with 20/20 vision, the naked eye can’t really see well enough to know how nicked up an edge is or whether you really did hone all of the scratches out. I found this little LED lighted magnifying glass by Rosallini on Amazon for ~$8 (I just checked and it’s down to $3.73). I figured if it didn’t work I hadn’t lost much, but to my surprise it works very well. The lens is 3.5 cm (~1.4”), which is large enough because the focal length at 12x is is about an inch. The led lights provide plenty of illumination and located such that an edge can be well lit and focused in the lense. I also purchased the 5x version (I had a 5x previously and they were cheap) and find I use the 12x all the time. It uses two AAA batteries, not expensive flat watch batteries. Also useful for inspecting threads, wear surfaces, or whatever. I suspect it would be a heck of a fire starter as well.

View OSU55's profile