Evapo-Rust this stuff really works!

Review by darthford posted 01-12-2014 08:33 AM 1559 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Evapo-Rust this stuff really works! Evapo-Rust this stuff really works! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m rebuilding a 1952 12”-14” Delta radial arm saw which turned out to be more rusted than I thought. I had read recently about this Evapo-Rust product and decided to give it a try and wow it really works quite well. Here’s some before and after pics.

I thought I was going to have to chuck this in my lathe and have at it with sandpaper, instead I just soaked it overnight in Evapo-Rust and rinsed with Simple Green under the faucet, effortless!

Here’s another example, no easy way to get down into the raw casting but a soak in Evapo-Rust got the job done easily.

Finally some facts about this great product. Its biodegradable and safe for drains and sewers. No acids, no toxins, no petroleums or solvents. Its water based. Safe for steel, aluminum, brass…wait for it…safe for plastic and paint also. It has no obnoxious odors and can be reused over and over until its no longer effective. Its made in the USA and available of all places at Harbor Freight. I paid about $22 for a gallon and it saved me a gob of time on this project.

Evapo-Rust it earned the rare 5 star rating from me.

View darthford's profile

darthford

#1 posted 01-12-2014 10:10 AM

Yes , many LJs use and like this great product.
I use it to restore hand planes.

View shelly_b's profile

shelly_b

#2 posted 01-12-2014 01:58 PM

I have never heard of this, but I will definitely be giving it a try!

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#3 posted 01-12-2014 03:52 PM

White vinegar works well too, and at 2-3 dollars a gallon you can’t go wrong. Flash rusting will happen with it though so you need to get a finish on pretty quickly.

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#4 posted 01-12-2014 05:31 PM

With Evapo-Rust, you can leave the residual film on until you are ready to clean it off to paint or otherwise treat, re-dip if you didn’t back to the project in a timely fashion.

I paid $29 for a gallon online, and it came with free shipping! Then I found it at HF, as has been noted, for less. Live and learn.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#5 posted 01-12-2014 06:38 PM

+1 with these comments.
I bought a Millers Falls plane at a flea market that looked like it was buried for about 10 years … I just wanted to try my hand at a restoration, but not on a high dollar plane. The $3.50 MF was just the ticket.
Washed off the crud with the garden hose and dropped it into a plastic tub of Evapo-Rust after disassembly.
I cleaned the tote and knob with the lap sander mounted in the drill press and shot them with rattle can shellac.
The next day I was amazed at how clean the plane body and parts were.
Hosed them off and a quick dry with paper towel and reassembly after a good sharpening of the iron …
I now have a Millers Falls 9C that looks nearly new and with a touch of wax to the sole (Thanks Tommy Mac D) It runs as smooth as my Stanley #4.
Evapo-Rust has added another great user tool to my collection … And it is made in the U.S.A.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#6 posted 01-13-2014 01:07 AM

Save your 25% Harbor Freight coupons, this stuff is amazing.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#7 posted 01-13-2014 01:49 AM

Thanks or the information, your experience and his review—well worth remembering. Thanks.

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

#8 posted 01-15-2014 01:22 PM

Thanks vey much for the review! I’ll pick up a gallon. Now I need to learn about finishing the metal after cleaning the rust off. Is shellac a viable option or are there better choices?

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

#9 posted 01-16-2014 03:41 AM

I also found this product at Tractor Supply for a few bucks less than HF at the time I restored my 1950’s Powermatic 60 jointer : )

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#10 posted 01-16-2014 03:59 AM

I had never heard of it until a couple of years ago. Everyone on LJ was going a on about how great it was so I thought I would try to find some of it. I think I paid about $16 for half a gallon in our local lumber yard. Things are not as cheap there as some places. Never thought about Tractor Supply stocking it. I will testify that it is a good product and it does what it says.

View Richard Dunlap's profile

Richard Dunlap

#11 posted 01-20-2014 04:24 PM

It is also available at O’Riley Auto Parts stores.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1922 days

#12 posted 01-20-2014 04:58 PM

Every home should have working flashlights, a sack of flour, a bale of peat moss and a jug of Evapo-Rust!

View GeneR's profile

GeneR

#13 posted 01-28-2014 02:07 PM

Thanks for posting I had never heard of this product and nice to know it is out there. Oh the many times I could have used this in the past.

-- Failure is always an option. :-)