Veritas 1:6 Dovetail Saw Guide Model 05T02.01

Review by Jerry posted 199 days ago 2290 views 4 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas 1:6 Dovetail Saw Guide Model 05T02.01 Veritas 1:6 Dovetail Saw Guide Model 05T02.01 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this wonderful little guide for Christmas and just now had my first opportunity to try it out. It took me a couple of minutes to wrap my head around how it works, but once I did, I was pretty impressed. You set the clamp in one set of grooves for the tails, and then slide it off and set it into a second set of grooves for the pins. I say set of grooves, but that’s somewhat misleading. There are three grooves in all, but the center groove serves double duty and is used in both orientations.

The sides of the guide have strong neodymium magnets shielded with slick tape, this holds the side of the saw tightly against the guide and assures perfect alignment throughout the cut.

I ran into a slight problem with the fact that the spine in my Dozuki was bottoming out on the top of the guide. This is not the guide’s fault, rather mine for not having a Dozuki with enough clearance between the teeth and the spine, something I have already remedied with a new Gyokucho .3-270 MM Dozuki.

Since I didn’t have the new saw when I made my first test joints, I just used an old Disston 14 TPI Back Saw – not nearly as refined a tool as the Japanese pull saw, but that turned out to make no difference whatsoever.

This saw guide is like a magic bullet, if you are careful about allowing for the thickness of the blade, you just can’t miss. The joint you see in this picture is the first hand cut dovetail I’ve made in over 4 months. I’d almost forgotten how to do them, but the picture speaks for itself.

The quality of the tool is typical Veritas, which is to say extremely fine quality and very well made. You won’t find a better quality guide anywhere.

At the extremely reasonable price of $42.00, I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to do hand cut dovetails and have them come out picture perfect every time.

-- I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

View jdmaher's profile

jdmaher

Thanks for that review! I’ve been thinking about that puppy for a while now. I’m about as clumsy as they come, until I build up enough muscle memory – and I just don’t do that many dovetails.

How much clearance (cutting depth) do you recommend? I’d love an excuse to buy (another) saw . . .

-- Jim Maher, Illinois

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

Jim, you need 2.5” minimum clearance between the saw teeth and the spine. You could go with a spineless saw, but the trade off is that it would be thicker. The Dozuki I got cost me $52.00, is .3mm thick, has 18 TPI, and the last 4 inches or so give you enough clearance for .75” stock. If you were going to go to stock any thicker, you would need to have more clearance. The distance from the top of the saw guide to where it rests on the wood is 1.75” Alternately, you could just buy their whole setup which includes the saw for $59.50. That is what I would do now if I had it to do over again.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Fine looking dovetails Jerry, thanks for the review.

View Jason300b's profile

Jason300b

Thanks for the review. Those look way better than my DTs (I’m learning). I’ll look into one of these.

View nwbusa's profile

nwbusa

I won one of these myself and echo Jerry’s comments—this is a quality tool and very useful in sawing consistent dovetails. Thanks for the review.

-- John, BC, Canada

View Vincent Nocito's profile

Vincent Nocito

409 posts in 1965 days

I have the guide with the saw. It certainly helped when learning to cut dovetails.

View SteveHas's profile

SteveHas

I love using mine, especially when I’m using some thick ringed pine. (Not sure if there is a name for that) It helps to keep my saw tracked straight when the rings want to pull the saw off line. I can cut them by hand with good success, but I keep coming back to the jig just because I like it so much.

View gohei82's profile

gohei82

Thank you so much for your review! This was a tool I didn’t know existed before I saw your review, but I knew I needed it the minute I saw it. Got the 14 degree one today. Did a test cut, and I’m sure my puny attempts at dovetailing will take a leap forward. Veritas sure can be innovative!

-- “Because people are dead, it does not follow that they were stupid.” – David Pye