New verses old

Review by Jimthecarver posted 01-08-2014 05:37 PM 3772 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New verses old New verses old New verses old Click the pictures to enlarge them

Having the Jet 1014 mini lathe and really loving it, and having no problems with it what so ever. I decided on the 1221VS model.
Unboxing it was fun, my past lathes have been hand me downs and/or very used and in need of rebuilding.

Upon opening I removed the lose goodies that came with it and lifted off the foam to reveal the site of a turners dream…mine anyway.

After getting it unboxed I noticed NO live center….bummer! Just a call to get that taken care of easily.

Noticing a huge change in lathes I had to set them side by side to show the difference.

I used a live center from an old shopsmith I have and Im in business. I chucked a piece of wood between the two centers and fired that baby up. She runs like a dream, the versatility of being able to turn the speed up down or put it in reverse while its running is a really great improvement.
I also noticed a nice improvement from the 1014, When turning it would slow down when applying pressure from the gouge. This machine actually speeds up to compensate for the loss of rpm. Then it slows again after it begins to pass the speed set on the readout. Cool feature!

The rpm readout is also a nice feature.

One thing I noticed is the belt is so much better than the old version.
I will update this after some time has been spent playing with the different features and getting use to it.

View JuanGatico's profile

JuanGatico

#1 posted 01-08-2014 05:48 PM

Congratulations on your new acquisition, please don’t forget to post some of your turns here!

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#2 posted 01-08-2014 07:51 PM

I saw this in a demo at Rockler a couple of months ago and was very impressed by it. I already have a Jet 1236 that works well for me at this point but this one made me take a second look.

Wayne

#3 posted 01-08-2014 09:04 PM

She said “pick one”...this I felt suited me for the small things im limited to now.

View mpounders's profile

mpounders

#4 posted 01-08-2014 09:20 PM

Congrats man! Looks like a great purchase.

-- Mike P., Arkansas, http://mikepounders.weebly.com

View Roger's profile

#5 posted 01-08-2014 11:48 PM

Congrats on that new piece. It looks very nice.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View jeff's profile

jeff

#6 posted 01-09-2014 05:12 AM

Jim,thats a nice machine…low rpms,1 hp,reverse-ya hoo…congrats…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#7 posted 01-09-2014 12:00 PM

Good luck with your new machine

-- My englisch is bad but how is your dutch?

#8 posted 01-09-2014 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone,
It’s sitting on a old stand from a delta table saw…the stand for this lathe was another $300.00 or so and well let’s just say I am happy to have the lathe.
Thank the Lord for friends, a fella I have know a few years is a metal fabricator and said he would be happy to build a stand for free. With a light holder even!
So now its time to think dust collection!

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#9 posted 01-09-2014 10:26 PM

Congrats on your new tool. You deserve that. Enjoy. Nice review.

#10 posted 01-10-2014 08:10 AM

Congratulations on the new lathe, sounds like things will go quicker

-- Norman

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#11 posted 01-10-2014 09:22 PM

That’s a SWEET looking setup. Congrats!

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View NaptownWood's profile

NaptownWood

#12 posted 01-28-2014 07:07 PM

I have this same lathe and love it. I went to the local Rockler store and they have a stand for the older version, maybe the regular 1221 or the 1014, and it was too small. But that stand was discontinued, and they were selling it for $75. So, I picked it up, and then went to the local steel shop and got a $40 piece of 1/4” steel and bolted it to the stand, drilled new holes for the lathe, and Boom. cheap stand.

-- Witty signature line still pending

View NaptownWood's profile

NaptownWood

#13 posted 01-28-2014 07:24 PM

by the way the only thing I don’t like so far for this is that the little cam lock handle for the tool rest is plastic. the other ones are metal, which is good, but I find myself tightening the tool rest one by hitting it with the butt of a gouge, and I’m afraid one day I will snap it off. especially if these temperatures stay so low in the midwest.

BTW, i also got a about a $200 barracuda chuck system from PSI which is titanium coated, and came with about 5 sets of jaws, which is a hell of a deal for a good hobbyist chuck.

-- Witty signature line still pending

View Docwks's profile

Docwks

#14 posted 03-06-2014 05:16 PM

I purchased the 1221VS to replace my 1220 for a couple of reasons the bed is much heavier and I wanted VS and forward and reverse (too lazy to walk around the lathe). I’m fairly happy with the lathe and have no intentions of returning it. I took it out to the Central Florida Fair where we have a club booth set up to do demo’s. First let me say that this is a 2nd lathe and my primary Lathe is a Powermatic 3520B, I say this because I tend to forget that I’m not turning on a large lathe and expect the 1221 to work the same, it doesn’t. Its 120v not 220v, so it doesn’t have the HP or the torque of my big lathe. Some folks complain about the slow start up, I don’t find this an issue. I do find two things that bug me. (A) you will get an E4 error if you take too big a cut, the lathe will stop and you will need to turn it off and back on. This is listed in the owner’s manual (I know I actually read it). (B) Like the 1220 and many other small lathes the Clamping Block is too small for holding the tail stock in place and like mentioned above the handles on the tail stock and banjo are a bit small. Other than that it works fine. I did 4 11” bowls while demonstrating and only blew the bottom out of one…talking too much. Oh, one last thing, the stand for the 1221VS is way too expensive. I used the stand from my 1220 and added removable wheels. Let me know if you’d like to see them, they really are kind of cool. Ciao

-- Bill