Review by ben posted 2277 days ago 2176 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
*Lots* of practical advice on --- wait for it --- building furniture with hand planes. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like everything else I’ve ever read or seen from Chris Schwarz, this is chock full of practical advice and tricks, combined with a good bit of useful history. This video reviews some of the techniques used in ‘Course Medium and Fine’, but often takes the details a step or 2 deeper. Also, they differ in that this video generally assumes you begin with a board that’s been machine planed, and needs finishing. This video also covers the block plane extensively.

Sharpening, spring joints, edge surfacing and other “immediate” topics are covered. Providing a table of contents seems like a waste of time. Instead, I will add a link to the video itself:

Building Furniture with Hand Planes

Overall, equal to the standards set by his other videos, making it a 5-star.

View ben's profile

ben

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

Thanks for the review. I want to check this out.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Seems like it will be too much work!

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

You’re killin’ me… Gonna have to warm up the plastic ;-) Thanks for the verification of quality.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View Tomcat1066's profile

Tomcat1066

Yet another item to put on my wish list! Gee…thanks! ;)

Seriously, good review. This will definitely be on my “To Buy” list.

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!