So far, so good = Scary Sharp Chisels

Review by kajunkraft posted 227 days ago 1663 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
So far, so good = Scary Sharp Chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like many woodworkers I know, sharpening chisels is a hit-or-miss proposition, or you buy an expensive “system”. The Worksharp 3000 is about $200, which from what I have seen is a not too costly option.

I am very much more a power tool woodworker than a hand tool woodworker. I rarely use chisels
so have not been too concerned about them. Recently have needed them and was really disappointed with the results and decided it was time to get them set up right.

Although I’m in south Louisiana, we too have been affected by the polar vortex. It’s been in the low 30’s here all day; other areas have been worse, I know, but pretty cold for us! So I decided my heated dining room would be a better place to do this than my cold, cold shop.

Yes, today is the first day of using the Worksharp 3000, but I worked on 12 chisels that were badly in need of attention. If the machine falls into pieces in the next few months I will certainly get back on here and update.
However, I can tell you that the 12 chisels that I sharpened today are Scary Sharp. And it was pretty quick & easy.

There was nothing to the set-up. Operation is pretty simple as well. I really like the glass discs which should never develop scoop-out and remain flat forever. I didn’t bring home a means to determine the angle, but I believe 25 degrees is pretty standard for chisels, so this is the setting that I used.

Four stars (vs. 5) is because it seemed there is a little “slop” in the insertion area. You dial in a width for your blade but there was “too tight” and “too loose” and I couldn’t seem to find the perfect setting. So it seems like the chisels kind of slopped around a little. But they look great and are scary sharp. As soon as my woodworking buddies find out that I have this machine, I’m sure they will want to try it out.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

112011 posts in 2204 days

Thanks for the review,I’ve had my WS for 7 years and it does a great job.

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

I’ve had my Worksharp for about a year and really like it. I had the same dull chisels. Sharp chisels are really nice to work with.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

I have one, I’m still trying to decide whether I like this better than my old method of hollow-ground sharpening. I did get a lot of edges done, though! And it makes quick work of badly sharpened vintage tools that deserve a good edge. Worth having, for sure! Thanks for the review.

View Howie's profile

Howie

Yep, I’ve had mine for several years and have no complaints.
Good review

-- Life is good.

View Dave T's profile

Dave T

I’ve had mine about a year now, and I like it. System works really well for me.

View brtech's profile

brtech

I have had it for over a year, and while I like it quite a bit, I will point out one thing:
If you are sharpening a bunch of chisels, the mechanism works great.
If you are sharpening one chisel, you will find that it takes more time to change the wheels to walk through the grits than it does to sharpen the chisel on that grit.

Kanjuncraft, I find that I just set the width to something wider than the chisel and them just hug the side of the guide, rather than trying to get the width dialed in exactly. It’s easy to feed it in straight.

Look on stumpynubs.com for ideas on a case and the idea of using MDF disks and honing paste. Also, DMT now has a new system that uses diamond coated steel disks with a magnetic disk that attaches to the WS glass disk. You still have to take the disk off the WS to change grits. They say the diamond disks last 50x the regular sandpaper disks.

View Domer's profile

Domer

245 posts in 1993 days

Did you buy the extra leather wheel? How much difference does that make?

Domer

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

I’ve had mine for about a year and I love it. Sharp tools are a joy to use.

-- Mike

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Thanks for the review..I have wanted to buy one of these but I have been on the fence..I read negative and positive reviews on these..it’s polarizing..like the Saw Stop debate..

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

I have one, and while I have learned freehand sharpening since (it’s not that hard, just learn it!), and do that for most of my regular sharpening, I use the WS from time for special things; it’s great for setting the initial bevel on a new old blade that is out of wack; and it’s great for flattening the backs of chisels. If I’d learned freehand sharpening first, I might not have bought it. But since I own it (over 2 years) it’s been very handy. And it’s well made—no fear of it falling apart after a year.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

My WS 300 is a godsend. It proved to be a gateway machine. I started collecting planes and enjoy using them. And I don’t care if a cheap chisel won’t hold an edge as long. A couple of minutes touch up and they are as sharp as anything. I am out for results, not style points.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

I really like mine because I can’t sharpen by hand for the life of me, set the angle and sharpen away doesn’t get any easier and it’s not messy, no oils, no water.

-- Mike

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

I just picked one up a couple weeks back and love it with one exception. It doesn’t have a good way to sharpen a shoulder plane since it’s not a uniform thickness iron. Getting that square is a huge hassel.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.