After resolving initial issues, this is a great saw!

Review by Paul D posted 01-06-2014 02:20 AM 4851 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
After resolving initial issues, this is a great saw! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Initial Lemon

Things did not start out so happily for me and the G0715P. It arrived off the UPS truck looking like it had probably been tipped over once or twice, but given that it was pretty well packaged I didn’t reject the shipment. I was able to get it down into my basement with a hand truck and unpacked it – no noticeable damage. I went through the entire setup process and everything seemed to be going well, until I tried to install the blade. There is a arbor lock button that you should be able to press in to help install / remove the blade, but it only worked in one direction.

To Grizzly’s credit the technician I got on the phone was very helpful, he didn’t think they had run across this issue before but he understood exactly what my issue was and told me that they would likely need to replace the arbor shaft or the arbor lock pin, but either way it would require disassembly of the entire saw.

Bummer.. so back it went. I should mention at this point I had not really thought through what returning a 400lb saw entailed, not only did I have to haul it out of my basement, I spent a good hour trying to bolt it back to the pallet and secure the rest of the box. If you take anything away from this review – always take care to keep the packing materials in once piece when you unpack a large tool and keep them until you’re sure there are no issues. I can’t imagine the hassle if I had needed to pack this thing up from scratch.

Saw Fixed

About two weeks later, back came the UPS man. I was a little disappointed that they did not really repackage the saw very well on it’s return journey. The box had now clearly be removed and re-installed several times and looked like complete crap. I noted the damage on the UPS slip and figured what the hell, it’s here now, let’s give this a shot.

Thankfully, all the issues were resolved and the saw worked exactly as advertised the second time around. I think having read many reviews of other Grizzly tools, a think the higher likelyhood of a lemon is just a trade-off for the great price – so it goes.

Fit & Finish

Overall the fit and finish of the saw is pretty good. I wish that the stripes on the cabinet were painted on instead of being taped on, but that’s not really a big deal. The blade tilt readout is a joke, I’m not sure why they included this at all. Similarly the miter gauge is crap, but I don’t think you can expect much from the stock gauge on any saw.

Calibration

Other users of the G0715P had noted runout issues when raising and lower the blade. At least on my saw, this was not an issue. I also found using a MasterGage that the blade was parallel to the miter slots without any adjustment. The fence did need adjusting, but it was pretty straightforward to do. I also noted that the 90 degree stop on the saw was off – I did not try to adjust this, I keep the saw at 90 degrees 99% of the time so I just get the right angle with a digital angle gauge and lock it in. Finally, after some test cuts I had to re-tension the belt on the motor as I could hear slippage when cutting thicker stock.

Operation

Once everything was tuned up, this saw runs great. I’ve not had any issues with the motor bogging down, even when ripping 8/4 stock. I’ve been using it frequently for the past 6 months or so, and everything continues to work well.

Overall

Overall, this is a great value for the price. You can certainly find better table saws, but this will keep any woodworker busy for a long time. If you do purchase it, do yourself a favor and get a MasterGage to calibrate it as well as a digital angle gauge of some sort. It really takes the guesswork out of getting the saw well tuned.

View Paul D's profile

Paul D

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#1 posted 01-06-2014 02:41 AM

Paul,

Thanks for a great review. It is good to hear that you were able to get the initial problem resolved.

The fact that you have used the saw a lot in the past six months makes this review even more valuable.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

#2 posted 01-06-2014 02:15 PM

Paul,
Enjoy your saw.

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

#3 posted 01-06-2014 05:59 PM

Curious about the species of the 8/4. I was contemplating this aw and many people, grizzly included, said it would not handle true 8/4 hardwood. I have since read other folks comments saying it would. So, now I am interested again.

View lumbermeister's profile

lumbermeister

#4 posted 01-06-2014 06:39 PM

nateaaron,

That something must have been misunderstood vis-à-vis your communications with Grizzly; my Ridgid R4512 with Freud thin kerf 24 T ripping blade cuts through 8/4 Padauk, Purpleheart, and Hard Maple quite easily. Surely, the Grizzly saw will accomplish this with, at a minimum, the same ease.

View Paul D's profile

Paul D

#5 posted 01-06-2014 07:00 PM

The point at which I realized I needed to tighten the belt was trying to rip some 8/4 poplar for the first time – but after that it was totally fine. I don’t know if that counts as a “true” hardwood, but I’ve got some 8/4 hard maple sitting in the shop waiting to be ripped – I’ll let you know if that is any different.

Also, I have a full kerf 40T blade so I suspect even if there was some issue cutting through real hard thick stock, you could throw on a thin kerf instead.

Not sure if it makes any difference either, but I have this on 220V. I’ve heard mentioned elsewhere that you can have power issues on dual voltage saws running them on a 110V circuit but I’m not sure if that is just a fairy tale.

View lumbermeister's profile

lumbermeister

#6 posted 01-06-2014 07:14 PM

Re. my prior post and the info re. my Ridgid R4512’s ability to easily cut through 8/4 hardwood, I have it hooked to a 120V circuit. 120 vs. 240 V should be the same for a saw of this class of wattage draw UNLESS there is a significant voltage drop in the circuit itself (prior to the machine).

View crashn's profile

crashn

#7 posted 01-06-2014 08:21 PM

I too had to adjust my belts after about 2 hours of use. It started to bog down, but tightening it up helped and I have not had to do it since, about 1.5 years now.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#8 posted 01-06-2014 09:45 PM

Well detailed,nice review. Thanks for sharing.

View Roger's profile

#9 posted 01-06-2014 10:46 PM

Thnx Paul. It’s always helpful for any sort of reviews for us all. I’m sorry to hear of your unfortunate happenings, but, glad everything worked out and you’re happy with your saw. Equipment always, well, I’ll say mostly always, has some sort of something that has to be “adjusted” in one way or another. As long as it all dials in and works the way it’s supposed to, well, that means we’re happy, happy, happy.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#10 posted 01-07-2014 02:30 AM

You are a better customer than I would have been. Sending that saw back sounds like a huge pain but it worked out for you.

I have the same saw and fortunately didn’t have your “issues”.

I rip 8/4 hardwoods often with a 24 tooth Diablo blade and have no problems.

Enjoy it! I certainly have enjoyed mine.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm